Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 5th grade graduation (or sixth or seventh or first or whatever) [CallMeMaybe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CallMeMaybe wrote:
No one I know gives gifts for 5th grade or 8th grade promotion. I don’t think these are gift-giving events, except for the kids to receive a money lei or flower lei from parents. Grandparents don’t even have to give gifts.

For senior graduation, who gives gifts? It’s parents and grandparents, right? I don’t give gifts to nieces and nephews for their educational achievements. I don’t travel to those ceremonies. I don’t even gift/travel for college graduations.

From my experience, part of my extended family (via in-laws) have done the grifting bit, stretching every academic/graduation milestone, and other family events... Job change, moving, etc.. It's a thing. I think it's embarrassing and I rationalize that they're not really part of my family. :-)

Senior HS graduation gifts have also come from neighbors... Some of the gag gifts can be funny.
Quote Reply
Re: 5th grade graduation (or sixth or seventh or first or whatever) [BigDig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigDig wrote:
With the opportunities and support he has been given celebrating him graduating from high school is a step above congratulating him for still being alive.

a lot of LOLs in this thread but this is my favourite quote. Money leis? Whatttttt? (Jane i do remember the pics, they were really pretty)

my feeling on this is we're fresh out of a freaking two year pandemic. Let's give the kids some ceremonies, even if they're stupid.
Quote Reply
Re: 5th grade graduation (or sixth or seventh or first or whatever) [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I don't know how parents do it nowadays:

- You have multiple unnecessary graduations............celebrate graduating high school and that's it.

- When I was in high school, we had junior/senior prom. Now, I see middle school proms, daddy/daughter dances, etc....these cost money. Money that a lot of parents don't have and could spend in other more valuable ways

- School pics are no longer whatever the schools line up for the yearbook. For some, its an all out spread with private professional photographers in multiple settings

- And don't even get started on sports. Not only do you have the school sports but you also have these traveling teams that force the mom to take a child to X city one day, and the dad to take another child to another city (on the same day). And it all cost a ton of money. I've got friends who never see each other because they are always attending separate games, in separate cities, for their children during the week and every weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: 5th grade graduation (or sixth or seventh or first or whatever) [EyeRunMD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Preach it brother.
Quote Reply
Re: 5th grade graduation (or sixth or seventh or first or whatever) [EyeRunMD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EyeRunMD wrote:
And don't even get started on sports. Not only do you have the school sports but you also have these traveling teams that force the mom to take a child to X city one day, and the dad to take another child to another city (on the same day). And it all cost a ton of money. I've got friends who never see each other because they are always attending separate games, in separate cities, for their children during the week and every weekend.

This is kind of my family right now. But all local sports - Each parent is coaching one kid. Schedule is Mon/Wed for the little one and Tues/Thur for the big kid. And on the alternate nights they do tae kwon do. So it's kind of chaotic. BUT - it's only during the week and only for two months, so we are sucking it up.
Quote Reply

Prev Next