Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: women almost twice as likely as men to be trapped in a crashed vehicle [csb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
csb wrote:
slowguy wrote:
kiki wrote:
slowguy wrote:
kiki wrote:
slowguy wrote:

Car design may be sexist.

FIFY

Still bullshit, either way you phrase it.

you posted the original bullshit about cars being sexist.

so what's actually bs -- the study? the conclusions?

My post was really obviously a joke.

Different outcomes do not necessarily mean an “ism” is in play. It’s entirely possible that the study is correct, and women are more likely to be injured or die in car crashes, and that there is also not actually sexism involved.

My suspicion is that what’s at play are laziness and cheapness.

Not directed just at you ...

I'm sure the jokes write themselves, but this is one more example of how men and male physiology are the default for "humans," and women are at best considered secondarily. Is it intentional? Doubtful -- I think you're right that it's laziness and cheapness. But by defaulting design to the average male ... to me, this is just one more thing. And I'm just so tired of it.

I wish there was a name for this cheapness and laziness that is so pervasive and detrimental for women.

Maybe someday we’ll invent a word.
Quote Reply
Re: women almost twice as likely as men to be trapped in a crashed vehicle [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Did they take in to account women being worse drivers?

*Ducks*

Is that why they had to create a law to prevent insurance companies offering women cheaper insurance because they were by far the better drivers.
Quote Reply
Re: women almost twice as likely as men to be trapped in a crashed vehicle [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SheridanTris wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Did they take in to account women being worse drivers?

*Ducks*

Is that why they had to create a law to prevent insurance companies offering women cheaper insurance because they were by far the better drivers.

Insurance companies don't determine who is a "better" driver. They determine who is a greater or lesser risk to collect on a policy.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: women almost twice as likely as men to be trapped in a crashed vehicle [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Surprised fewer men wearing seatbelts and therefore more likely to be ejected from the vehicle isn't one of the reasons.

It's a UK study. Is there a disparity in seatbelt usage in the UK between men and women?

Living under a totalitarian regime where seatbelts have been mandatory nationally for half a century, it's difficult to recall seatbelts ever being a contested issue for us poor oppressed souls, male or female. Buckling up was just what everyone did from the moment you first put an L-plate on the family car.

Is this yet another peculiarly US libertarian thing?
Quote Reply
Re: women almost twice as likely as men to be trapped in a crashed vehicle [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Surprised fewer men wearing seatbelts and therefore more likely to be ejected from the vehicle isn't one of the reasons.

It's a UK study. Is there a disparity in seatbelt usage in the UK between men and women?

Living under a totalitarian regime where seatbelts have been mandatory nationally for half a century, it's difficult to recall seatbelts ever being a contested issue for us poor oppressed souls, male or female. Buckling up was just what everyone did from the moment you first put an L-plate on the family car.

Being a red-blooded American male takes it's toll.
Quote Reply
Re: women almost twice as likely as men to be trapped in a crashed vehicle [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
There is a good book that explains a lot of this, Invisible Women.

Article mentions that's the book that motivated the study by Prof Nutbeam. (now that's a fun name).
Quote Reply
Re: women almost twice as likely as men to be trapped in a crashed vehicle [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

Tricky to be driving on wrong side of the road. To apply results to US or elsewhere, reverse the findings.
Quote Reply
Re: women almost twice as likely as men to be trapped in a crashed vehicle [40-Tude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
40-Tude wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
There is a good book that explains a lot of this, Invisible Women.

Article mentions that's the book that motivated the study by Prof Nutbeam. (now that's a fun name).

Last edited by: CallMeMaybe: May 18, 22 10:09
Quote Reply

Prev Next