Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How are you and how was your week? May 16 edition
Quote | Reply
How are you? How was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? May 16 edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't write goals last week but they were my usual ones:
healthy coping 7/7 (and 8 days in a row now!)
do stuff to make me faster CHECK
pass lifeguard course CHECK

had a good week!

M: 2075 yd swim + lift
T: 2575 yd swim + 6.95 mi run
W: off
T: 2725 yd swim + 6.97 mi run
F: 4775 yd swim + lift
S: 3.73 mi run + 2025 yd swim
S: 9.9 mi run

goals this week are healthy coping skills and do stuff to make me faster.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? May 16 edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm exhausted! 2 days of volunteering and 4 nights of spectating at the Track Nations Cup in Milton is more tiring than my usual schedule.

I managed to get out on my new bike yesterday - the intent when ordering it was to be able to ride rail trail/minor gravel routes and I'm pleased to say it's awesome for that. It was also the first ride I've done with the new cycling club I joined, and I had fun. It was the kind of "happy watts" ride I really needed after a few rough rides recently.

Goal for this week is to re-incorporate some strength and stability work. I've been slacking and my body can tell.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great posts in this thread!

This is a terribly busy week for me, so I’m taking it off from working out. It’s just not likely to happen. Although maybe, maybe. I might be able to spring into action and take advantage of a 30 minute window of opportunity in the second half.

This week I’m working on my organizational skills. I’ve arranged for drop off & pick up for my own 3 kids, plus the 2 extra kids who get rides with me because their moms have gone back to work this year. That’s 10 rides per day! I have 4 different drivers who are helping me transport these 5 kids. It’s kind of unreal. The kids are at 2 schools with 3 different start times and 2 different end times. But, whatever. I have it mapped out and coverage for all rides.

I always loved the organization required for triathlon, and this drop off/pick up junk isn’t too different.
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? May 16 edition [CallMeMaybe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm impressed with that scheduling, and your recognizing that this isn't forever!
My week? It was inspiring and fun, but since I don't run much, I'm a little bit sore and tired.
Sunday was the Girls on the Run 5k event for 650 girls in the San Diego region.
Our team is 4th and 5th graders from a school where 98% of the students are eligible for free breakfast, lunch, and food for weekends.
We've qualified as a funded program, so the kids only have to pay $10 for the program, and along with 16 sessions of coaching and lessons, are given running shoes, T shirts,snacks, water bottles, and exercise bras if needed. GOTR supplied us a bus to take the kids to the event, which was a 45 minute ride away, at Mission Bay, San Diego.
Demographically, this is group of girls whose families do not have the resources for extracurricular sports, so probably this is their first experience with "coaching, " from a mentor other than a teacher, family member, clergy, etc. Our kids have lots of real world issues... home and food insecurity, challenging home/social environments, and numerous other problems I know exist, but I've never personally experienced.
At our program school, we run laps; most of the girls completed their practice 5k two weeks prior with minimal issues, and were confident they could finish the distance. We encourage them to run, walk, job, skip, etc, just keep moving forward, which means that we do it with them.
My little partner and I jogged about half of the 5k, fast walked the rest. She got tired, especially in the middle, but gamely hung on and then took off 200 yards from the finish line. I'm reminded of Ironman, where the pain of the day is forgotten in the last 5 minutes, coming down the home stretch.
3 hours per week for 8 weeks with these girls has been a revelation, and has a proven positive impact at a crucial time in their development.
Girls On The Run impact...
Oh right, along with our two running practices, I managed 3 workout swims of between 2500-3000 yards each, with my masters swim group, and a 1 hour, very enjoyable bike ride along the coast.

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? May 16 edition [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GOTR program sounds really awesome! You’re so lucky to have the opportunity to mentor and run the 5k with your little partner. Goodness! 💙
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? May 16 edition [CallMeMaybe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CallMeMaybe wrote:
The GOTR program sounds really awesome! You’re so lucky to have the opportunity to mentor and run the 5k with your little partner. Goodness! 💙
I do feel lucky that I've got the time and energy to help these girls. The rocky years, esp for the 5th graders, are right around the corner, and we feel like we still have a chance to teach some skills to help navigate those minefields. Program has also proven to reduce teen pregnancies by increasing self confidence and good decision-making.

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? May 16 edition [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s really cool, Karen. I love that kind of investment in kids and in our community. Thank you for doing it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
STConcierge wrote:
CallMeMaybe wrote:

I do feel lucky that I've got the time and energy to help these girls. The rocky years, esp for the 5th graders, are right around the corner, and we feel like we still have a chance to teach some skills to help navigate those minefields. Program has also proven to reduce teen pregnancies by increasing self confidence and good decision-making.

Sounds like a very worthwhile way to spend your time/energy.
Quote Reply