Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Morbidly obese non-athletes in Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
axlsix3 wrote:
sphere wrote:
Sports Illustrated is now a water cooler and hand cart away from boarding up shop.

https://www.cnn.com/...-layoffs?cid=ios_app

Their online site was decent for football coverage but it's totally unusable now with the amount of janky ads and dearth of talent.

I used to love the back page with Rick Reilly.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Morbidly obese non-athletes in Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I had a subscription to SI pretty much throughout the 80's. It was without question the best sports mag and the annual swimsuit edition didn't hurt either.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Morbidly obese non-athletes in Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
axlsix3 wrote:
sphere wrote:
Sports Illustrated is now a water cooler and hand cart away from boarding up shop.

Their online site was decent for football coverage but it's totally unusable now with the amount of janky ads and dearth of talent.

For a moment I misremembered HST writing an online column for SI, but it was actually ESPN

https://totallygonzo.org/...ey-rube-espn-page-2/

Although he did do some work for Sports Illustrated

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
axlsix3 wrote:
sphere wrote:

This. I used to read that back page first.

Then Faces in the crowd. Then the rest.
Quote Reply
Re: Morbidly obese non-athletes in Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition [40-Tude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to get SI for years. Loved it for insider knowledge, and then the random, unexpected Sports/Life crossover stories.

Rick Reilly is a treasure. Here is my all time favorite story he wrote about a High School football ref. I read it on a plane forever ago. Explored so much.

When Your Dream Dies - Sports Illustrated Vault | SI.com
Last edited by: WannaB: Jan 20, 24 7:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
See above post. Meant to reply to you, as you will have deep appreciation.
Quote Reply
Re: Morbidly obese non-athletes in Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WannaB wrote:
I used to get SI for years. Loved it for insider knowledge, and then the random, unexpected Sports/Life crossover stories.

Rick Reilly is a treasure. Here is my all time favorite story he wrote about a High School football ref. I read it on a plane forever ago. Explored so much.

When Your Dream Dies - Sports Illustrated Vault | SI.com

I worked a game last night, I heard several times about the things I missed. Sometimes it pisses me off but normally it rolls off. I was talking to my friend a few weeks back and told him, the kids haven’t changed much, you have always had your assholes. The coaches haven’t really changed, but was has changed is are the parents. This was written back in 1994 but the parents have gotten worse. I didn’t used to hear parents in the crowd, anymore, that’s all you hear.

Sorry to derail the thread.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kathy Ireland. xoxoxo Thread back on track.

Yeah, this was 1994. I hadn't read it since then. This is why Reilly is great. Random read I bought off a newsstand to pass time on a trip, and I have carried it with me. Not that I am the type to act like an A-hole fan/parent. But at 19 years old, it forever humanized for me all that comes with being a referee.
Quote Reply
Re: Morbidly obese non-athletes in Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sidd Finch

#IYKYK

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Morbidly obese non-athletes in Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Sidd Finch

#IYKYK

Ah, George Plimpton, what a good writer. I really loved his books on football.

One of our partners is a former SI writer. Love talking to him about the old days of sports.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Morbidly obese non-athletes in Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
How the mighty have fallen.

When I was a kid SI was the be all and end all of sports media, at least the written word. Not to mention countless hours ogling supermodels in skimpy bikinis. There are images of Elle Macpherson, Cindy Crawford, Christie Brinkley, and Kathy Ireland forever burned into my brain.

That was 4 or 5 owners ago!
Time-Life took over in the 40s. Stayed that way until 2018. Time Mag unit was spun off from Time-Warner in 14 and Meredith (Better Homes and Gardens, etc) bought in 18. si didn't fit, so they sold it to Authentic Brands Group (store brands: Brooks Bros, Aeropostal, Forever 21, etc). They licensed/leased si to theMaven (?). They missed their January lease payment to ABG and had the lease terminated yesterday!
Maven laid off the entire si staff yesterday...
Quote Reply
Re: Morbidly obese non-athletes in Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Tri2gohard wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
How the mighty have fallen.

When I was a kid SI was the be all and end all of sports media, at least the written word. Not to mention countless hours ogling supermodels in skimpy bikinis. There are images of Elle Macpherson, Cindy Crawford, Christie Brinkley, and Kathy Ireland forever burned into my brain.

We won't see talent like that again. A veritable murderers row.

Agreed! The 80s/90s supermodel talent was ridiculous.

Amen. Since SI is going under, this thread needs more pics to commemorate their contribution to society:

Quote Reply
Re: Morbidly obese non-athletes in Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition [zed707] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Morbidly obese non-athletes in Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition [pjet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Morbidly obese non-athletes in Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gotta love it. Imgur just pulled my uploaded Upton SI cover to avoid offending the image sharing community.

“ Hi there!

We're writing to let you know that the post you shared, https://imgur.com/a/EhbFZOu, has been removed from Imgur's public community for violating our Community Rules located at https://imgur.com/rules.

Imgur welcomes a diverse audience, so we aim to create a positive browsing experience free from hateful, explicit, illegal or violent content. We want to keep Imgur a fun place for everyone, so please keep the Community Rules in mind when posting. If you violate the Community Rules again, your account may be suspended or disabled.”

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Morbidly obese non-athletes in Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just found the picture I wanted screenshotted it and posted it.
Quote Reply
Re: Morbidly obese non-athletes in Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition [zed707] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We should not discount the many contributions of Vendela in the 90's.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Morbidly obese non-athletes in Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
We should not discount the many contributions of Vendela in the 90's.

Wow I forgot about her

Quote Reply
Re: Morbidly obese non-athletes in Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition [pjet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This needs to be in the tri forum for what is an aero position
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
This is not about fat shaming. Help me understand how featuring a morbidly obese postpartum non-athlete in Sports Illustrated makes any sense from a business standpoint. What exactly are they marketing, and more importantly, to whom?

It feels more than a little self congratulatory, but maybe I'm missing something.

Looks like you may have had some insight here.

Last edited by: SH: Jan 22, 24 6:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That and the Cheryl Tiegs fishnet swimsuit are my 2 favorite pics from the swimsuit issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Morbidly obese non-athletes in Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I used to deliver papers there was an old guy that would give me his SIs after he read them. It was such a treat as I loved sports and back in the 80s before the internet there was not much in the way of sports news. The only issue he wouldn't give me was the swimsuit ones! :) I think my parents appreciated that.

Like I said he was an older gentleman that did not seem to have any family around. I was always taught to be polite to my elders so I would listen patiently while he talked. When he passed away he ended up leaving me $250 in his will! Back then for a 11 or 12 year old that was a lot of money.
Quote Reply
Re: Morbidly obese non-athletes in Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition [buddhabelly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
buddhabelly wrote:
When I used to deliver papers there was an old guy that would give me his SIs after he read them. It was such a treat as I loved sports and back in the 80s before the internet there was not much in the way of sports news. The only issue he wouldn't give me was the swimsuit ones! :) I think my parents appreciated that.

Like I said he was an older gentleman that did not seem to have any family around. I was always taught to be polite to my elders so I would listen patiently while he talked. When he passed away he ended up leaving me $250 in his will! Back then for a 11 or 12 year old that was a lot of money.

Thats awesome! ..lol
I had a paper route from '79 to '81. I wish my teenaged son today could of had that whole experience when he was 12..13 ...the responsibility of getting the paper to the doors right after school in timely fashion in ALL weather conditions (always one or two customers who didnt appreciate tardines) , collection day where you soone learned there are deadbeat$ in life and of course meeting kind older folks who really appreciated your service.

As for SI..my mom gave me a yearly subscription for Xmas from about 10 to 16yo. I loved getting it in the mail every week! Another experience I wish my son could have enjoyed. The internet sucks
Quote Reply

Prev Next