Re: Protesting at SC justice’s homes [SDG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SDG wrote:
Nutella wrote:
SDG wrote:
Nutella wrote:
SDG wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
Desantis didn’t get that memo. I haven’t looked it up, but makes me think the SC didn’t really say that, otherwise how could this new FL take precedence? I hate agreeing with this bozo, but he’s right about this.

https://www.cnn.com/...e-florida/index.html

That is a good law.

Like many of DeSantis' stunts this is clearly un-Constitutional.

Why do you hate the Constitution?

Why do you want to intimidate, scare and bully people in their personal space?

Huh? There are already laws against that. This law limits the right of protest in public space. Like so many of DeSantis stunts it is un-Constitutional. He will burn tax payer funds to pass the performative bill, defend it in court, only to lose like he has so many times already.

nope, don't go into the neighborhood and cause a disturbance. period. Due it at their office or place of work, OR you get things like this:

The school board member, Jennifer D. Jenkins, wrote in an op-ed for The Washington Post that the protesters heckled her kids, coughed in her face while shouting, "Give her Covid," and burned an obscenity into her lawn with weed killer.

You seem to be under the impression court rulings can't change and this could be found unconstitutional. As we are seeing with Roe, things change over time and Court's interpretations of the constitution and statues due as well. I suggest Desantis is spending the states money wisely in this situation.

While I might agree with your sentiment - that isn't what we have interpreted the 1st amendment to say for almost 240 years. Of course that could change tomorrow.

Protests don't have to be polite or convenient. All (or nearly all) of the things you listed above are not protected speech though. And law enforcement could have stopped.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Last edited by: j p o: May 17, 22 13:07
Quote Reply
Re: Protesting at SC justice’s homes [Nutella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nutella wrote:
SDG wrote:
Nutella wrote:
SDG wrote:
Nutella wrote:
SDG wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
Desantis didn’t get that memo. I haven’t looked it up, but makes me think the SC didn’t really say that, otherwise how could this new FL take precedence? I hate agreeing with this bozo, but he’s right about this.

That is a good law.

Like many of DeSantis' stunts this is clearly un-Constitutional.

Why do you hate the Constitution?

Why do you want to intimidate, scare and bully people in their personal space?

Huh? There are already laws against that. This law limits the right of protest in public space. Like so many of DeSantis stunts it is un-Constitutional. He will burn tax payer funds to pass the performative bill, defend it in court, only to lose like he has so many times already.

nope, don't go into the neighborhood and cause a disturbance. period. Due it at their office or place of work, OR you get things like this:

The school board member, Jennifer D. Jenkins, wrote in an op-ed for The Washington Post that the protesters heckled her kids, coughed in her face while shouting, "Give her Covid," and burned an obscenity into her lawn with weed killer.

You seem to be under the impression court rulings can't change and this could be found unconstitutional. As we are seeing with Roe, things change over time and Court's interpretations of the constitution and statues due as well. I suggest Desantis is spending the states money wisely in this situation.

That describes vandalism and assault, again already covered in existing law.

This law is not about about assault, vandalism, or being on someone's private property. It is about limiting the Constitutionally guaranteed right to protest on public property.

DeSantis knows that this will be tossed out just like his picketing law was.

We shall see. The best way to get the Court's to uphold a protesting at peoples houses law is to have a bunch of protests at the Judges houses. ( last week).
Quote Reply
Re: Protesting at SC justice’s homes [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:

So Desantis cites the protests that occur in front of SCOTUS justices homes, but there are no SCOTUS justices that live in Florida, so you can tell this is bull shit.

Actually looking at the analysis of the law, it is really bad. It does not ban all protests, only protests that are meant to "harass or disturb that person". Which makes the law really bad. Because it can easily be selectively enforced. You are basically letting the cops decide what protests are mean to "harass or disturb" and the police are not exactly an unbiased party here. Which we have already seen in Florida.

Looking at the protests in front of the SCOTUS justices home, I don't think those would ever qualify under the law. So this law doesn't even address the bullshit reason Desantis cites.

That is without getting into how the "dwelling" standard could be abused.
Quote Reply

Prev Next