Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Meanwhile in LA, abortion = murder [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WannaB wrote:
It is an interesting point, however, that this is their driving force in politics. What about Prisoners? Immigrants? The sick? The poor?

You know, all the groups that are specifically mentioned in the Bible over and over. They all get thrown under the bus for this issue.

See people like me who grew up in the church, a lot of us left precisely because we saw the hypocrisy between the teachings and the church.

Book of Matthew: "whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

Don't tell me who you are, show me who you are. And they continue to show me I was right to leave and never return.
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile in LA, abortion = murder [CallMeMaybe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CallMeMaybe wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:

You guys do not get me :-)

I'm not panicking. Posting here is purely for entertainment or venting.

I live safely in the woods away from most of the bullshit in the world. Doesn't mean I can't care.

I didn't mean to offend anyone who is religious

I am hardcore in my religious views (note my passion is on display quite a lot here) and you do not offend me. SDG does not offend me. We are good.

Thanks! :-)

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile in LA, abortion = murder [SDG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
As for the bill, it is arguably very consistent with the pro-life position. If you think abortion is killing an innocent life, the ones involved in the murder of the baby should go to jail. This is not surprising.

Can we call this a belief instead of a position.

"I believe that you are murdering a human."

"It's a single cell. It has no thoughts. It doesn't resemble a human in anyway. Why do you believe this?"

"Because.......MAGIC!!!!!!! Now go to jail you murderer!"

At least we aren't throwing virgins into volcanoes or burning witches anymore. Or are we bringing that back, too?

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SDG wrote:
CallMeMaybe wrote:
SDG wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:
SDG wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:
ironclm wrote:
Protected rights states:

Washington
Oregon
Montana
California
Nevada
Colorado
Hawaii
Minnesota
Iowa
Illinois
Delaware
District of Columbia
Maryland
Massachusetts
New Jersey
New York
Connecticut
Vermont
Maine

Not surprised NH is not on this list. I live 55 minutes from the NH border and know this state well..... The "Live Free or Die" motto of NH seems to only pertain to men. (white, straight men if I may be so bold)

You forgot CHRISTIAN, white, straight men. I think the cliche includes CHRISTIAN.

Haha, I was going to add Christian. Because this is what it's all about.

I don't know a ton about Christianity. But if the white, Christian population of the US wants to continue down this trajectory, shouldn't divorce, sex for pleasure, and things like blow jobs be banned too? If the next step is a ban on contraception after they overturn Roe, then sex for pleasure should be outlawed as well. Same sex marriage could also be the next target. If white Christians hope to control who marries who, then it would make sense that divorce is no longer a legal choice. I know all this sounds absolutely bat-shit crazy and completely absurd. And that is my point. However, we are moving in this dangerous direction.

you are right, you don't know a ton, or dare I say much at all, about Christianity. And No, we are not heading in that direction. Have some wine this weekend, get a dog and relax. It will all be OK.

You sound awfully confident in your response, and I assume you think you have more knowledge than Triingtotrain about Christianity?

If so, can you provide any fact-based reasoning to support your idea that we are not heading in that direction?

I have spent many a Sunday in Christian churches for many a years and not a one has espoused the views Triingtotrain is panicking over.
Ooh, I want to play!

I grew up in the non-denominational, happy-go-lucky Sunday school-type churches in the northwest.

I absolutely have heard the things that Triingtotrain is saying in church, by church leadership.

My wife and I no longer attend churches. We both found them to be full of hate, misogyny, racism, and general disrespect of others, disguised under a blanket of, “love.”

Sorry, but I absolutely see a lot of Christian’s trying to push what was mentioned above.
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile in LA, abortion = murder [Koala Bear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Koala Bear wrote:
Ooh, I want to play!

I grew up in the non-denominational, happy-go-lucky Sunday school-type churches in the northwest.

I absolutely have heard the things that Triingtotrain is saying in church, by church leadership.

My wife and I no longer attend churches. We both found them to be full of hate, misogyny, racism, and general disrespect of others, disguised under a blanket of, “love.”

Sorry, but I absolutely see a lot of Christian’s trying to push what was mentioned above.

She says she doesn't know much about Christianity, yet here she is preaching the gospel truth!
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile in LA, abortion = murder [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
ironclm wrote:
Protected rights states:

Washington
Oregon
Montana
California
Nevada
Colorado
Hawaii
Minnesota
Iowa
Illinois
Delaware
District of Columbia
Maryland
Massachusetts
New Jersey
New York
Connecticut
Vermont
Maine

I'm not sure why Alaska isn't on your list. AK has a very strong state constitutional right to privacy.

You're right. Missed that one. It's now added.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SDG wrote:
CallMeMaybe wrote:
SDG wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:
SDG wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:
ironclm wrote:
Protected rights states:

Washington
Oregon
Montana
California
Nevada
Colorado
Hawaii
Minnesota
Iowa
Illinois
Delaware
District of Columbia
Maryland
Massachusetts
New Jersey
New York
Connecticut
Vermont
Maine

Not surprised NH is not on this list. I live 55 minutes from the NH border and know this state well..... The "Live Free or Die" motto of NH seems to only pertain to men. (white, straight men if I may be so bold)

You forgot CHRISTIAN, white, straight men. I think the cliche includes CHRISTIAN.

I don't know a ton about Christianity. But if the white, Christian population of the US wants to continue down this trajectory, shouldn't divorce, sex for pleasure, and things like blow jobs be banned too? If the next step is a ban on contraception after they overturn Roe, then sex for pleasure should be outlawed as well. Same sex marriage could also be the next target. If white Christians hope to control who marries who, then it would make sense that divorce is no longer a legal choice. I know all this sounds absolutely bat-shit crazy and completely absurd. And that is my point. However, we are moving in this dangerous direction.

you are right, you don't know a ton, or dare I say much at all, about Christianity. And No, we are not heading in that direction. Have some wine this weekend, get a dog and relax. It will all be OK.

You sound awfully confident in your response, and I assume you think you have more knowledge than Triingtotrain about Christianity?

If so, can you provide any fact-based reasoning to support your idea that we are not heading in that direction?

I have spent many a Sunday in Christian churches for many a years and not a one has espoused the views Triingtotrain is panicking over.

So how does a supposed Christian become such a selfish ass?

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile in LA, abortion = murder [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
SDG wrote:
CallMeMaybe wrote:
SDG wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:
SDG wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:
ironclm wrote:
Protected rights states:

Washington
Oregon
Montana
California
Nevada
Colorado
Hawaii
Minnesota
Iowa
Illinois
Delaware
District of Columbia
Maryland
Massachusetts
New Jersey
New York
Connecticut
Vermont
Maine

The Gospel According to St. Bastard covers this I believe.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile in LA, abortion = murder [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
SDG wrote:
CallMeMaybe wrote:
SDG wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:
SDG wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:
ironclm wrote:
Protected rights states:

Washington
Oregon
Montana
California
Nevada
Colorado
Hawaii
Minnesota
Iowa
Illinois
Delaware
District of Columbia
Maryland
Massachusetts
New Jersey
New York
Connecticut
Vermont
Maine

Look who crawled out from under their rock. Hope its not too cold for you this weekend up in the god forsaken frozen tundra. Tends to make people cranky, as evidenced.
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile in LA, abortion = murder [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
eb wrote:
ironclm wrote:
Protected rights states:

Washington
Oregon
Montana
California
Nevada
Colorado
Hawaii
Minnesota
Iowa
Illinois
Delaware
District of Columbia
Maryland
Massachusetts
New Jersey
New York
Connecticut
Vermont
Maine

I'm not sure why Alaska isn't on your list. AK has a very strong state constitutional right to privacy.

You're right. Missed that one. It's now added.

Alaska has a pretty good constitution, even though it was mostly written by old white men. :-)

I suppose that's a benefit of having 48 other states go first.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SDG wrote:
your entire problem is framing the issue incorrectly, according to Christians. This is not about "women's rights", it is about murder of the unborn. The immoveable and unshakeable difference between pro-abortion and pro-life is the determination of what is in the womb. That will never change. Christians see this is as murder and they are also protecting "women's rights"....the unborn women in the womb.

you're absolutely right, that this is the issue. but i think this is, historically, a relatively recent highlight. as far as i know, most of the biblical underpinning of this relies on a kind of phraseology, a figure of speech, or a way to express a truism. i knew you before you were in the womb. there's a lot of womb talk, mostly in the OT, and the point of that womb talk is not to express when exactly god quickens that biological mass; it's to say that god had you in his plan not during, but well before your mom and dad ever hid under the bleachers. in other words...

i find the scriptural basis for quickening-at-conception uncompelling. more scripturally accurate to say you became god's child way before then. obviously that's hard to fathom, but that's what jeremiah 1:5 says, and what ephesians 1:4 says. he chose us "before the foundation of the world." hard to wrap your brain around, but there it is.

when god quickens that mass of biology is, as the saying goes, god's own mystery. but i'm pretty sure that if god knew you before the foundation of the world, he didn't choose you to be one of the fetuses that gets flushed down the toilet in the fertility clinic. but christians have chosen to believe that quickening occurs at conception, just as they choose to believe in free will, but those very same versus that champion the idea of conception-quickening also often champion the idea that your fate was also sealed before conception. bummer that.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SDG wrote:

your entire problem is framing the issue incorrectly, according to Christians. This is not about "women's rights", it is about murder of the unborn. The immoveable and unshakeable difference between pro-abortion and pro-life is the determination of what is in the womb. That will never change. Christians see this is as murder and they are also protecting "women's rights"....the unborn women in the womb.

This is not correct. It is absolutely not about protecting life.

We know if you want to reduce abortions, you provide cheap and easy access to contraception. Also things like paying for prenatal care and paid family leave.

We know making abortions illegal doesn’t reduce abortions. It just reduces safe and legal abortions. It doesn’t save any fetuses. It just causes a bunch of women to die.

So don’t be dishonest and say this is about preventing deaths. Because that is just factually wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile in LA, abortion = murder [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you may find it "uncompelling" and, it seems that leads you almost to a belief in the 144K gaining ascension? But i may have you wrong there? Probably

Greater mind than yours or mine have looked at this. Me. I'm gonna take that leap of faith off the side of the pool. Into the hands of my Father

Hopefully it's not just a Endless Pool eh?

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile in LA, abortion = murder [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Quote:
As for the bill, it is arguably very consistent with the pro-life position. If you think abortion is killing an innocent life, the ones involved in the murder of the baby should go to jail. This is not surprising.

. It has no thoughts.

You sometimes make it too easy
Quote Reply
Re: Meanwhile in LA, abortion = murder [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
you may find it "uncompelling" and, it seems that leads you almost to a belief in the 144K gaining ascension? But i may have you wrong there? Probably

Greater mind than yours or mine have looked at this. Me. I'm gonna take that leap of faith off the side of the pool. Into the hands of my Father

Hopefully it's not just a Endless Pool eh?

/r

greater minds than mine have looked at everything i've ever looked at, brother! but i guess i fall on the side of not legislating on this with such an iron fist. first of all, it seems to me american christianity - in the outward expression that i see, just as a spectator - has its treasure. has its kingdom. this generation of american christianity has tried to vote and legislate their kingdom here. which is fine. that's done all the time. it appears to me that there's at least one expression of islam (perhaps the dominant one) that establishes its kingdom here, rather than in the world to come, by legislation, by war, by whatever means. christianity, as i read the bible as an *originalist*, foregoes that kingdom here for the kingdom in the next world. except that nowadays, at least in america, what's critical is to create that kingdom now. here. and to make everyone - sinner and saint - live in this kingdom christians have made for themselves, so that for once (!) they get to be the persecutors.

if i was a christian there is one thing that would terrify and sober me: the possibility that, after this life is over, i'm told not that i've "run the good race," but that i've already "received my reward in full" (matthew 6 i think).

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: May 6, 22 15:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
absolutely agree

I've served a long time as a member of the State--but to establish some form of religious State would be anathema to what I've understood my oath to be.

we can leave religious States to Afghanistan [despite our best efforts, blood and treasure], Iran and Saudi

i greatly prefer our constitutionally established democratic republic. in all its imperfect glory

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
to establish some form of religious State would be anathema to what I've understood my oath to be.

bravo to you sir.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We don't need a "Bravo" How clear can this be?

One of my favorite visions of George Washington was at him in the barracks at Newburgh, NY. Recent victors over the British. The new National Army of the brand new Republic.

Yet the Continental Congress refused to pay the Continental Army. Arguments over land grants and the value thereof.

To the point that the the Continental Army was ready to march on Philadelphia and throw the 'rascals' politicians out of power

**our Nation would have died right there--at its birth**

until Washington appeared in front of them

he marched through the barrack up to the lectern and turned to address them. placed his papers down and paused to take his glasses out of his pocket

"Pardon me Gentlemen, but my eyes have grown tired in the service of our Nation."

killed the rebellion right there!

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
"Pardon me Gentlemen, but my eyes have grown tired in the service of our Nation."

that is some thrilling shit right there. we could've used washington's wisdom and stature 150 years later, with how we dealt with the bonus army. but i digress...

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In another thread here on the forum "Trail" does a great job of delineating how these are NOT extraordinary times. We've faced extraordinary times as a Nation and some how (God given?) we've had a Washington, a Lincoln, a Roosevelt [although my Grandfather hated him with the passion of a thousand suns].

these are, in fact ordinary times in terms of political discourse--exacerbated only by the ubiquitous of the internet. But that is offset by how concentrated in the few populated areas people were back then. This is just normal. Odd as that sounds

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guess everyone was too breathless to be bothered to post the bill was pulled

https://apnews.com/...29c30d106a85c80c7c50

Look squirrel
Quote Reply

Prev Next