Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Swimming Technique Questions Answered [mattconroy33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattconroy33 wrote:
I'm an adult onset swimmer who has been at it for about 5 years. My first year or two I got some lessons, improved my fitness significantly and then rather plateaued. Since then I've been using lots of different videos and suggestions from folks to improve but hadn't seen a whole lot of growth overall. To be clear, I could certainly finish 1,000 yard swim a bit faster than I could 4 years ago but that was mostly down to just being fitter overall.

This past season I had 2 downright terrible open water swims to start of triathlons, one being my first 70.3. That swim was so bad that I rolled onto my back for a while, got out with quad spasms and considered just calling the race done at that point. I didn't and the rest of the race went well but these two swims made me decide that I needed to change. After taking a bit of time out of the pool to get my head right around it I started back up with my usual 3 swims per week for about 2 months with a focus on a few areas that I thought I needed to work on. These included improving my body rotation, my catch and working on being 'taut'--ie keeping my body long and straight rather than wet noodling it. I did a bunch of drills each workout -- much more than previously to focus on these areas.

Since then I've jumped into a masters swim group. The masters workouts have been great, have made me work on other strokes which seems to be helping my freestyle as well. This past week, in working on 'endurance freestyle' the coach focused on a couple of ideas. 1.(for myself and one other) improving our shoulder angle in the reach part of the stroke to extend further upon entry into the water 2. Building a 2 beat kick 3. Working on a 'gallop stroke'. For one reason or another the reach seemed to click pretty well for me and I was told that my stroke immediately looked much better! Moving into part 2 and 3 this seemed to continue, which is great. The questions that I have are:
1. How do I make sure that I am consistently 'reaching' to the right degree
2. How on earth do I keep this 2 beat kick without fins? It feels like my legs will sink without the movement.
3. Should I use the 'gallop' stroke, which feels good (and fast) all the time or should I build in time to practice that as well as the long, slow, stretchy version?
4. I've been avoiding doing math and tracking times this week with the idea that I may need to cement these skills before I worry about time and improvement. Is this the right approach and if so, how long do I avoid the clock and just focus on technique?

Lots of questions. Feel free to answer any that interest you!

thanks

Congrats on the progress!

1. You’re going to have to learn to know what it feels like. Have your coach let you know when you’re doing it right, then internalize what that feels like. Then try to create a phrase for you to remember that’s associated with that feeling (maybe it’s ‘stretch’). Also don’t stress about whether it’s perfect. If it’s good enough and you’re making progress, you’re doing what you need to do.

2. Your legs sinking or not isn’t driven by the kick. If you’re legs are sinking, you need to get better. Learn to use your lungs to support you and create tension in your back keep the legs up.

https://www.youtube.com/...x61BKXeA&index=4

3. If the gallop stroke is working for you, stick with it. You can still practice the longer stroke during warm-up/warm-down. It’s good to have some flexibility in how you swim and the timing you use.

4. Do both, just don’t let the clock drive what you do. Knowing how fast you are swimming is a great way to know if you’re skills are effective are not. If you can swim faster for the same effort, that’s progress. It becomes more a ‘focus on what you’re doing, then see what the outcome was’ approach rather than an ‘I need to go X time or else’ approach.

Hope that helps.

Andrew

http://www.masteringflow.info
http://www.youtube.com/@masteringflow
http://www.andrewsheaffcoaching.com/...freestyle-fast-today
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Technique Questions Answered [MasteringFlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been reading this thread any trying to implement the recommendations to various degrees. There was a pretty big breakthrough through a few weeks of dedicated videos and reviewing (~18 months swimming, 1k scy at 15:16), but I'm still left with two big questions where my stroke seems to "work" but doesn't seems right.

--When going from the catch to the pull, I've really taken emphasis off of the catch and forcibly pushing back, almost like how you'd push yourself up onto the pool deck from the deep end. It kind of really feels like two separate motions, a lazy (but well placed) catch that just kind of drops the hand immediately turning into a strong push straight back. It's hard to see clearly in video where the transition takes place, but it feels like a well defined switch in the stroke. Is it worth trying to smooth this out? And if so, would you smooth it out by being more forceful on the catch or less forceful at the start of the pull?

--Arching back, specifically, with a flatter back the upper arm to spine angle is much flatter and my shoulders work noticeably harder to pull that arm to the flatter angle. It seems the real culprit for the arching back is the desire to keep the shoulder joint more extended and less flexed (at a lesser angle in relation to the spine). I'm guessing this is just something to get used to and keep working on?

This thread is truly a goldmine.
Last edited by: mathematics: Feb 2, 23 8:30
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Technique Questions Answered [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:
I've been reading this thread any trying to implement the recommendations to various degrees. There was a pretty big breakthrough through a few weeks of dedicated videos and reviewing (~18 months swimming, 1k scy at 15:16), but I'm still left with two big questions where my stroke seems to "work" but doesn't seems right.

--When going from the catch to the pull, I've really taken emphasis off of the catch and forcibly pushing back, almost like how you'd push yourself up onto the pool deck from the deep end. It kind of really feels like two separate motions, a lazy (but well placed) catch that just kind of drops the hand immediately turning into a strong push straight back. It's hard to see clearly in video where the transition takes place, but it feels like a well defined switch in the stroke. Is it worth trying to smooth this out? And if so, would you smooth it out by being more forceful on the catch or less forceful at the start of the pull?

--Arching back, specifically, with a flatter back the upper arm to spine angle is much flatter and my shoulders work noticeably harder to pull that arm to the flatter angle. It seems the real culprit for the arching back is the desire to keep the shoulder joint more extended and less flexed (at a lesser angle in relation to the spine). I'm guessing this is just something to get used to and keep working on?

This thread is truly a goldmine.

Congrats on the progress.

1. What you are describing is pretty accurate. It's more of a passive repositioning. If it LOOKS like there are two distinct phases in the stroke. You probably want to smooth it out. If it only FEELS like you have two phases, I would keep it going as is. If you want to smooth it out focus on lessening the force of the pull rather than increase the catch.

Great insights!

2. Another great insight. My observation is that 'talent' in many swimmers is having the mobility to perform all of the different motions of the limbs WITHOUT compromising the position of the spine. They can keep the spine REALLY aligned while still doing everything else.

For you specifically, if you don't have the mobility in your shoulders, you have to compromise to be effective. Just about everyone has to do it to some degree. This can be improved a bit, but only so much as you can't change the shape of bones.

Hope that helps.

Andrew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Andrew,

I took your advise and start the squads with the Tri club. Coach is very good and keep providing me with advise here and there but I know that I need some special attention so I joined stroke correction swim school. two weeks now but not feeling really great with the school coach, however will give it another two weeks and see.
The Tri coach gave me an advise and need your comment please.
Coach asked me to use snorkel with fins/buoy to focus only on my stroke.specifically my pull which seems not strong enough ( I push back so hard but not sure why it's not strong enough). After I fix my technique I need to worry about my breathing. does that make sense?
any idea how the pull should looks like?
I had too much water in my nose and lungs from the snorkel probably I should use nose clip next time.
overall, I feel great that I'm back in the pool. Thanks again
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Technique Questions Answered [Misho_2018] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Misho_2018 wrote:
Hi Andrew,

I took your advise and start the squads with the Tri club. Coach is very good and keep providing me with advise here and there but I know that I need some special attention so I joined stroke correction swim school. two weeks now but not feeling really great with the school coach, however will give it another two weeks and see.
The Tri coach gave me an advise and need your comment please.
Coach asked me to use snorkel with fins/buoy to focus only on my stroke.specifically my pull which seems not strong enough ( I push back so hard but not sure why it's not strong enough). After I fix my technique I need to worry about my breathing. does that make sense?
any idea how the pull should looks like?
I had too much water in my nose and lungs from the snorkel probably I should use nose clip next time.
overall, I feel great that I'm back in the pool. Thanks again

Great to hear that you've taken steps to improve your swimming and you've had some success.

It can be helpful to work on one skill at a time. Taking your breathing out of the equation can make it easier to work on improving your arm pull.

Sometimes when people say 'strong', it's not so much how much force is used, but how effective it is. You may be pulling 'hard', but not pulling 'well'.

Rather than what it 'looks' like, the pull should 'feel' straight back.

Snorkels can take a little time to get used to, but once you get the hang of it, you won't have any more problems with inhaling water.

Ultimately, you have to trust the path you take when working with a coach. It's fine to take a different direction if it's not working, but doing everything they suggest is the best way to get the results you want.

Hope that helps.

Andrew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't know if you are still replying to this thread but just putting a few things out there

A few questions

Hand entry - do you reckon a thumb first (or thumb and first finger together) entry is a problem from a drag perspective, if it is not causing any shoulder issues? Or do you recommend pinky entry?

Caps - how much per 100m does a cap give you?

Six beat kick versus two beat kick - generally speaking for a pull dominant freestyler, how much speed can distance athletes get from learning a 6 beat kick over say 800 and upwards? Most of the top endurance swimmers swim the same speed if they kick or do not kick? Is it worth it?

Natural catch up timing versus gallop - do you prefer either timing for say 800 and upwards (without a wetsuit)? Or just work with what the athlete prefers, and try to improve either DPS or tempo as needed? Most of the top endurance swimmers swim either quite a close to catching up stroke or quite a gallop
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Technique Questions Answered [waverider101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Waverider,

Hope you’re well.

Good questions

Hand entry - do you reckon a thumb first (or thumb and first finger together) entry is a problem from a drag perspective, if it is not causing any shoulder issues? Or do you recommend pinky entry?

I think ‘flat’ is most likely the safest bet, but unless there is an obvious issue with the entry, I tend to leave it alone. If the hand is entering relatively clean, and isn’t too angled, you should be good. I’ve never really heard great arguments for any particular entry. You see fast swimmers doing a bit of everything BUT they get the hand pretty flat right after entry.

Caps - how much per 100m does a cap give you?

I guess it depends on how much hair you have! I really don’t know, as it depends on how fast you’re swimming as well. I think it matters, and I would wear one for speed. However, if you’re in a hot environment, that can be an issue for some people, especially if they’re not used to it. If found it protected my hair from chlorine, so I always wore it.

Six beat kick versus two beat kick - generally speaking for a pull dominant freestyler, how much speed can distance athletes get from learning a 6 beat kick over say 800 and upwards? Most of the top endurance swimmers swim the same speed if they kick or do not kick? Is it worth it?

If you’re two beat kick is well integrated into the stroke, I think you’re good. If this kick isn’t integrated, then it can present a problem, and using a heavier kick can sometimes help with that. If someone wants to use a heavier kick, it’s KEY that they implement the kick WITHOUT slowing their rate. If that happens, they’ll like swim slower. And you better have a solid kick, or else what’s the point.

I think any swimmer should learn to effective 6-beat kick to be able to create speed. The top distance swimmers can CLOSE, and most are going to use the legs to do that. Sun Yang was a great example. Steady (but effective!) 2-beat kick most of the way, then would throw in the legs and bring it home.

Natural catch up timing versus gallop - do you prefer either timing for say 800 and upwards (without a wetsuit)? Or just work with what the athlete prefers, and try to improve either DPS or tempo as needed? Most of the top endurance swimmers swim either quite a close to catching up stroke or quite a gallop

I tend to NOT mess with the rhythm that someone has settled into. Changing that is always a difficult and potentially disastrous undertaking. As you said, my strong preference is to improve DPS/tempo without changing the rhythm. Sometimes, that will change the timing organically, which tends to be a much smoother process. I will only change the timing if it is obviously holding the swimmer back. Then I’ll the dice. Swimmers have been successful with both strategies, and there is probably a reason that a swimmer picks one over the other, and it likely has to do with their natural tendencies. I try to work with what they’ve got rather than against it.

Hope that helps!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply - got me thinking about the kick since reading it

I don’t really have any other questions at the moment just a bunch of comments and observations

Which are too boring to anyone but myself

Mainly about kick creating a lot of drag, only worth the potential extra speed seemingly in the 800 and up for men and 400 and up for women

Back in the 80s the world record in the 400 was 2 beat but things changed a lot since then.

But wonder how fast the 2 beat kick men would go now - if the distance guys sprinted on their 2 beat strokes at 400 and 200s. Faster than the 80s but how much slower than the current times
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Technique Questions Answered [waverider101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
waverider101 wrote:
Thanks for the reply - got me thinking about the kick since reading it

I don’t really have any other questions at the moment just a bunch of comments and observations

Which are too boring to anyone but myself

Mainly about kick creating a lot of drag, only worth the potential extra speed seemingly in the 800 and up for men and 400 and up for women

Back in the 80s the world record in the 400 was 2 beat but things changed a lot since then.

But wonder how fast the 2 beat kick men would go now - if the distance guys sprinted on their 2 beat strokes at 400 and 200s. Faster than the 80s but how much slower than the current times

Sun Yang set the 1500-m world record with a 2 beat kick for the first 1400-m and then a strong kick the last 100. In 2000, Massi Rosolino went 1:46/3:43 over 200/400 basically dragging his legs behind him.

I think people can swim really fast with a 2 beat kick. But most can swim faster with a full kick!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a question about swim technique I'm hoping a ST expert can answer. My question is about the timing of the catch with the regard to taking a breath. For a right-side breather, does the left-arm catch start as the head finishes the breath and turns back toward the water? Put another way, what is the head doing when the catch starts?

I ask because I am not very good at EVF, or swimming for that matter. I notice that when I practice EVF on dryland, the slight rotation of shoulder and the dropping of my forearm rotates me from my side back toward being flatter on my belly. But when I saw myself on video, I noticed that I was starting the left arm catch while still rotating onto my left side and turning my head right to breathe. Maybe I work at cross purposes with myself. My left arm is trying to rotate my body back to flat while my core is still trying to turn onto the left side. My left hand sort of waves around as I start the catch and I struggle to get an EVF, maybe that's the reason.

I experimented with breathing a little earlier and quicker so that I pretty much complete the breath while my left arm was extended. I tried to not start the catch until I was turning my head back toward the water and my recovery arm was past my head. I did this by trying to think about a connection between my left elbow and my right shoulder-- the elbow goes up and shoulder comes forward to my ear.

It seemed to help, but I wanted to get a sense of whether I'm on the right track. I've watched a lot of videos and it seems like some swimmers are into the pull phase before their face is back in the water, while others start the catch and pull later so that the eyes are looking at the bottom of the pool when the pull starts.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Technique Questions Answered [Changpao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great question. Keen to see what the write up on this
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ill take a stab at this:

from a wider perspective... you're swimming from "outside" to "in" meaning you are focusing on the arm movement being the driver for propulsion and breathing. Changing that perspective to "inside to out" thinking helps and answers your tech question.

The breath is timed w the rotation of the hips and shoulders. Rotation needs to be rhythmical and symmetrical. So breathing on either side should not be an issue. The answer and for improved feedback would be to start timing your breath w your rotation (not arms) and also breathing on both sides but primarily the "weak" side as your brain wiring has less experience to override. A final note, the quality of your inhale is dictated by the quality of your exhale, no matter the side you breath on... so consider and practice this as well.

Good luck

DaveD

http://www.theundergroundcoach.com
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Technique Questions Answered [daved] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
daved wrote:
Ill take a stab at this:

from a wider perspective... you're swimming from "outside" to "in" meaning you are focusing on the arm movement being the driver for propulsion and breathing. Changing that perspective to "inside to out" thinking helps and answers your tech question.

The breath is timed w the rotation of the hips and shoulders. Rotation needs to be rhythmical and symmetrical. So breathing on either side should not be an issue. The answer and for improved feedback would be to start timing your breath w your rotation (not arms) and also breathing on both sides but primarily the "weak" side as your brain wiring has less experience to override. A final note, the quality of your inhale is dictated by the quality of your exhale, no matter the side you breath on... so consider and practice this as well.

Good luck

DaveD

Thank you for your response. I think that before I was swimming "outside to in", as you put it. A couple of months back, looking at video I noticed problems with my left arm extension and catch. Ever since I have spent a lot of time focusing on my arm trying to get it in the right spot, with modest success. I think the issue was, as you said, I was thinking about the "outside" too much.

This week, when realized the problem was more one of timing between my core rotation to breathe and the start of my catch, I made a pretty significant improvement. I dropped ~4 seconds per 100 on a 15*100 benchmark workout. I looked at the video from my most recent swim and my position is much more streamlined. My catch is more efficient (less excess motion, more straight back). It's still not great, but it's definitely better.

It's probably no great surprise to any swim coach, but it's remarkable to me that a change of timing can lead to such an improvement in body position. Without thinking about my arm at all, I seemed to have eliminated some of the flaws I spent so long trying to fix by thinking non-stop about my arm. Kind of ironic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well,

That sounds great. Did you "realize" this bc of what I wrote? or on your own?

Those are some great improvements and fun realizations. Well done

daved

http://www.theundergroundcoach.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Changpao wrote:
I have a question about swim technique I'm hoping a ST expert can answer. My question is about the timing of the catch with the regard to taking a breath. For a right-side breather, does the left-arm catch start as the head finishes the breath and turns back toward the water? Put another way, what is the head doing when the catch starts?

I ask because I am not very good at EVF, or swimming for that matter. I notice that when I practice EVF on dryland, the slight rotation of shoulder and the dropping of my forearm rotates me from my side back toward being flatter on my belly. But when I saw myself on video, I noticed that I was starting the left arm catch while still rotating onto my left side and turning my head right to breathe. Maybe I work at cross purposes with myself. My left arm is trying to rotate my body back to flat while my core is still trying to turn onto the left side. My left hand sort of waves around as I start the catch and I struggle to get an EVF, maybe that's the reason.

I experimented with breathing a little earlier and quicker so that I pretty much complete the breath while my left arm was extended. I tried to not start the catch until I was turning my head back toward the water and my recovery arm was past my head. I did this by trying to think about a connection between my left elbow and my right shoulder-- the elbow goes up and shoulder comes forward to my ear.

It seemed to help, but I wanted to get a sense of whether I'm on the right track. I've watched a lot of videos and it seems like some swimmers are into the pull phase before their face is back in the water, while others start the catch and pull later so that the eyes are looking at the bottom of the pool when the pull starts.

If I understand you, you are on the right track. If you're rotated to the right, you're going to struggle to get into an effective pulling position. Pulling too soon while breathing is a pretty common mistake, and swimmers end up in with a poor pull on that side. You'll often see 'sculling' on that hand as noted.

A faster breath and a more patient pull can help solve that issue. If you're slow in getting the head back down, many times it's because you're 'looking' or 'watching' what's happening over the surface, even if it's not conscious. Closing your eyes when you breath and then opening them back up when your head is back underwater can help.

Hope that was useful.

Andrew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MasteringFlow wrote:
If you're rotated to the right, you're going to struggle to get into an effective pulling position. Pulling too soon while breathing is a pretty common mistake, and swimmers end up in with a poor pull on that side. You'll often see 'sculling' on that hand as noted.

A faster breath and a more patient pull can help solve that issue. If you're slow in getting the head back down, many times it's because you're 'looking' or 'watching' what's happening over the surface, even if it's not conscious. Closing your eyes when you breath and then opening them back up when your head is back underwater can help.

Hope that was useful.

Andrew

Yes, that is helpful and you described my problem better than I did. My left arm looked like I was taught to start the catch with a quick scull. Despite knowing it was there, I couldn't eliminate that excess motion until I implemented a faster breath and more patient catch and pull.

daved wrote:
daved

I realized my problem by practicing EVF on the poolside and via single arm drills. I think that helped me start to feel physically the connection to my core. Then, when I watched myself on video I realized my core and catch were at odds with each other. Your explanation helped me think it through, understand how I my focus of the last couple of months on the arm and hand (rather than the core) was misdirected.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Changpao wrote:
MasteringFlow wrote:
If you're rotated to the right, you're going to struggle to get into an effective pulling position. Pulling too soon while breathing is a pretty common mistake, and swimmers end up in with a poor pull on that side. You'll often see 'sculling' on that hand as noted.

Hope that was useful.

Andrew

Yes, that is helpful and you described my problem better than I did. My left arm looked like I was taught to start the catch with a quick scull. Despite knowing it was there, I couldn't eliminate that excess motion until I implemented a faster breath and more patient catch and pull.

daved wrote:
daved

I realized my problem by practicing EVF on the poolside and via single arm drills. I think that helped me start to feel physically the connection to my core. Then, when I watched myself on video I realized my core and catch were at odds with each other. Your explanation helped me think it through, understand how I my focus of the last couple of months on the arm and hand (rather than the core) was misdirected.

Great. Glad it was useful. Best of luck.

Andrew

Quote Reply

Prev Next