Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pre-ride Du Nats bike course / Tuscaloosa?
Quote | Reply
I'll be in Tuscaloosa a day early and have the time to pre-ride the bike course. Anyone have direct experience wrt safety/traffic or other advice? Strava heatmap shows the course to be pretty 'hot' but only from the Amphitheater to Old Hackberry. It also appears that (maybe) bike lanes on Jack Warner end there? I could just drive it, but better to bike it if possible. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Pre-ride Du Nats bike course / Tuscaloosa? [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am here and rode the course yesterday. I have ridden in Manhattan and Phila and this is way more dangerous.

In a 1 hr ride on the Jack Warner Parkway, I was cursed at twice (with the usual faggot/asshole stuff), beeped multiple times and one guy tried to run me off the road. The most biker unfriendly town I have ever ridden in. The shoulder has rumble strips and there is debris everywhere.

Be very alert!
Quote Reply
Re: Pre-ride Du Nats bike course / Tuscaloosa? [TBV Runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and the speed limit is 45mph to 55mph depending on where you are. My Varia was telling me that there were plenty of passes at 65mph+
Quote Reply
Re: Pre-ride Du Nats bike course / Tuscaloosa? [TBV Runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oof. Thanks for the scene report. Glad that you're fine. I would have figured this out from inside the car given that the bike conditions are so poor. USAT should be made aware. Maybe they should devote some time and money promoting the economic benefit to Tuscaloosa drivers with a message to be especially kind to the cycling/running visitors during this week.
Quote Reply