Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Foo Fighters RR Hall of Fame
Quote | Reply
I was genuinely confused how the Foo Fighters got elected to the RR HOF. I thought you had to wait 25 years after your debut album...what's that?...holy shit I'm getting old!
Quote Reply
Re: Foo Fighters RR Hall of Fame [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also confusing about that is that artists (according to RnR HOF) are supposed to have "created music whose originality, impact and influence has changed the course of rock & roll". Foo Fighters are good dadrock, I'll give 'em that, but HOF'ers?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
I was genuinely confused how the Foo Fighters got elected to the RR HOF. I thought you had to wait 25 years after your debut album...what's that?...holy shit I'm getting old!

Do you REALLY want to feel old? Green Day got in 6 years ago [their first LP 39/Smooth was released in 1990; Kerplunk! was '91 and the breakout LP Dookie was '94]

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Foo Fighters RR Hall of Fame [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Green Day was a little after my caring about music. (seems to coincide with getting married). A song came on from them the other day and I was a bit blown away by how good the drumming was.
Quote Reply
Re: Foo Fighters RR Hall of Fame [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dookie came out when I was in grade 4. I remember a kid bringing it to school in a yellow sony walkman.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Thom wrote:

Do you REALLY want to feel old? Green Day got in 6 years ago [their first LP 39/Smooth was released in 1990; Kerplunk! was '91 and the breakout LP Dookie was '94]

Like most, I became aware of Green Day with Dookie. Hard to believe that was 27 years ago.

It hit me how old they were when a middle age musician I'm a fan of listed them as an early influence. It seems like it should be the other way around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
knewbike wrote:
Green Day was a little after my caring about music

I don't understand this part

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
knewbike wrote:
Green Day was a little after my caring about music. (seems to coincide with getting married). A song came on from them the other day and I was a bit blown away by how good the drumming was.

Tre Cool is pretty good.
Last edited by: trail: May 12, 21 8:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
knewbike wrote:
Green Day was a little after my caring about music

I don't understand this part

haha. I'm just really bad at memorizing names, songs, poems, jokes. I find all of that irrelevant. So I just listen. The only way I knew it was Green Day was that my new car has a screen that said it was Green Day.

Had to look up the drummer too.
Quote Reply
Re: Foo Fighters RR Hall of Fame [Big John] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big John wrote:
Also confusing about that is that artists (according to RnR HOF) are supposed to have "created music whose originality, impact and influence has changed the course of rock & roll". Foo Fighters are good dadrock, I'll give 'em that, but HOF'ers?

RnR is a legitimate artistic genre but success and fame is more a matter of the ability to commercialize. So the Hall of Fame...yeah... that is just apart of the commercialization. Unfortunately this means the music won't stand the test of time.

Beethoven, Mozart (and other classical composers) sold out to commercialization the same way today's artist do. They would write music in an honor of a general or some wealthy aristocrat to pay the bills. In general, this music is crap. Wellingtons Victory is unlistenable. Mozart wrote a lot of songs for famous people that are never performed because they just aren't any good. If they only focused on commercialization they wouldn't be played today, 200+ years later. Fortunately that was just a minor part of their catalogs. But part of their legacy is that they died without money...
Quote Reply
Re: Foo Fighters RR Hall of Fame [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
knewbike wrote:

Tre Cool is pretty good.

As is Taylor Hawkins.

One of my favorite shows ever. They played 3+ hours in our smaller town. Each time you thought they might done, Grohl just said “Nobody leaves til I F’ing say so!”
Quote Reply
Re: Foo Fighters RR Hall of Fame [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Foo Fighters was the best show I'd ever seen* - and I've seen pretty much everyone

It was the Sonic Highways tour when Dave had broken his leg and played on the "Throne of Rock"

Royal Blood opened

* Other than those day-long festivals they'd have at JFK Stadium, and other than LiveAid [also at JFK] or the Amnesty International show at Giants Stadium, of course

Quote Reply
Re: Foo Fighters RR Hall of Fame [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
Beethoven, Mozart (and other classical composers) sold out to commercialization the same way today's artist do. They would write music in an honor of a general or some wealthy aristocrat to pay the bills.

Kinda like licensing your music for a commercial, perhaps? Maybe even doing a little V/O work? 😎

Last edited by: RandMart: May 12, 21 8:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Other than those day-long festivals they'd have at JFK Stadium, and other than LiveAid [also at JFK] or the Amnesty International show at Giants Stadium, of course

Ahhh. I saw Joshua Tree at JFK.

To other point. I always wondered what Beethoven, Mozart or Vivaldi would think about being universal “hold music” when calling institutions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Foo Fighters 20th Anniversary show was the best all day festival I've ever been to...

Foo Fighters (first show on "The Throne")
Buddy Guy
Heart
LL Cool J
Gary Clark, Jr
Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
Trombone Shorty
Quote Reply
Re: Foo Fighters RR Hall of Fame [jeffa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That lineup makes perfect sense as each of them was on an episode of Sonic Highways

Buddy Guy - Chicago; featured song: "Something from Nothing"
Nancy Wilson - Seattle; "Subterranean"
LL Cool J - NYC; "I Am A River"
Gary Clark, Jr - Austin; "What Did I Do? / God as My Witness"
Joan Jett - LA; "Outside"
Trombone Shorty - New Orleans; "In The Clear"

Dave is cool like that, which is why everyone loves to work with him, or so it seems

Last edited by: RandMart: May 12, 21 12:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep... I actually forgot Trouble Funk on that list. They were wedged between Buddy Guy and the Foos, which was perfect because they got to play for a huge crowd.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you ever made it to Austin City Limits?

Although I live here, I've only been once but it was awesome.
Yeah Yeah Yeahs, B52s, Ghostface Observatory, Flogging Molly, Them Crooked Vultures. A few bands I never heard of but enjoyed anyway: STS9, Thievery Corporation.

On the last night, the Dead Weather basically opened for Pearl Jam.
Quote Reply
Re: Foo Fighters RR Hall of Fame [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WannaB wrote:
trail wrote:
Tre Cool is pretty good.

As is Taylor Hawkins

If nothing else, let us remember that it was Taylor - her drummer - who hit Alanis Morrisette in the face with a pie @3:00

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know how or why, but in our house, our favorite Foo (besides Dave) is Pat Smear

Maybe because he's always smiling?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two of my favorite bands, Green Day and the Foos. Add in U2 to make the trifecta.

I remember Green Day when they were snot nose kids back in Berkeley, California before Dookie. And then a few years ago they were so nice to play on my birthday in Oakland, California so I flew out there for the weekend. Billie Joe Armstrong (and Bono) - so so incredibly sexy. I cannot explain it.

Taylor Hawkins is also quite sexy but I think Dave is my favorite Foo. Photos and video from that show just popped up on my Timehop 8 days from their May 4, 2018 concert here.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup, I remember when “This is a Call” was first on the radio and they described it as a “new side project of Dave Grohl’s” .

Greta Van Fleet announced recently that they are going to be touring with the Foos - that is a show I am definitely going to see if they come through here.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Foo Fighters RR Hall of Fame [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just did a quick review, and Dave Grohl is the only person who has been inducted twice [Nirvana, Foo Fighters] who is NOT in his 70s

https://en.wikipedia.org/...s#Multiple_inductees

When Green Day were inducted, they were the first band in the HoF all to be born after Woodstock [all three were born in 1972]

Quote Reply