Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

3rd Party?
Quote | Reply
Over 100 Republicans, including former officials, threaten to split from G.O.P.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/11/us/politics/republicans-third-party-trump.html
Quote:

“This is us saying that a group of more than 100 prominent Republicans think that the situation has gotten so dire with the Republican Party that it is now time to seriously consider whether an alternative might be the only option,” he said.

The list of people signing the statement includes former officials at both the state and national level who once were governors, members of Congress, ambassadors, cabinet secretaries, state legislators and Republican Party chairmen,

The GOP has doubled down on the crazy since the election. This might be the only option.
Quote Reply
Re: 3rd Party? [Nutella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nutella wrote:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/11/us/politics/republicans-third-party-trump.html
Quote:

“This is us saying that a group of more than 100 prominent Republicans think that the situation has gotten so dire with the Republican Party that it is now time to seriously consider whether an alternative might be the only option,” he said.

The list of people signing the statement includes former officials at both the state and national level who once were governors, members of Congress, ambassadors, cabinet secretaries, state legislators and Republican Party chairmen,

The GOP has doubled down on the crazy since the election. This might be the only option.

If they do and are not bat shit crazy I will probably vote for that party.
Last edited by: knewbike: May 12, 21 4:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could see myself throwing my support behind a 3rd party depending on who all signs the letter, especially currently elected officials. And of course depending on if this 3rd party actually has a coherent policy platform or just more of the same shit currently offered by the GOP.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nutella wrote:

Quote:

This is not a big deal to those currently in office because the nutters who voted for Trump and have taken over the party don't like the GOP old guard anyway. I take this as a bunch of people who are no longer getting their way in the party and are trying to take their ball and go home. How many of these people spoke out when it would have mattered? Everybody, I mean everybody, knew what Trump was and still they kept giving him more leeway. "Oh, we thought he was going to change", "we thought he would listen to reason", bullshit.

They got what they wanted, which was power, and then they couldn't control it so now they're pissed off. And the article should say "once prominent", these people are not really relevant in the current GOP.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the new-republican party is willing to play a longer game and accept that they won't win in the short term, I suspect this could be a viable strategy. I want to think that the Trumpian philosophy will eventually go away, but it will take at least a decade, if not two or more, to fully excise that cancer from our society. Those with a more conservative ideology (not Trumpian) will need to be patient.
Quote Reply
Re: 3rd Party? [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do they differentiate themselves from the GOP though? I get that they want to separate themselves from the conspiracy theory populists, but what do they agree on beside that? Are they going to separate themselves from the Christian right at the same time, or do they double down in that area? Are they fiscal conservatives / social liberals? Are they sane libertarian's? Are they hard core fundamentalists? Romney and Cheney are very different than Bush and Kasich.
Quote Reply
Re: 3rd Party? [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
How do they differentiate themselves from the GOP though? I get that they want to separate themselves from the conspiracy theory populists, but what do they agree on beside that? Are they going to separate themselves from the Christian right at the same time, or do they double down in that area? Are they fiscal conservatives / social liberals? Are they sane libertarian's? Are they hard core fundamentalists? Romney and Cheney are very different than Bush and Kasich.

All they need to do is make a platform. The current republican platform is "do whatever Trump wants". Seriously. Not joking.

I still probably wouldn't agree with the platform, but if they make an honest one I would give it consideration. If they went back to the platform they generated back, lets say, for the 2012 election, they might get somewhere.

They would need to be willing to play a long game though. They won't win in the short term. Democrats will run wild with the right leaning vote split between the GQP and the new-republicans. They need patience (or modify their platform to appeal to modern voters and modern ideas)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:

Christian in 2021 spans from I like lattes and Rock music on Sunday and posting hashtags that make me feel better about myself while doing nothing to I actually volunteer in soup kitchens and try to make the world a better place to I diddle kids on the side but go to church on Sunday so it’s all good. I don’t think there is a clear block anymore that would agree on anything.

I mean the current Q based group pretty far from the teachings of Christianity I would think.
The only support I can see is one issue abortion voters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is a start. I would think the congress people who then lose in their Trump demanded compete primary could then simply join this 3rd party and place themselves on the ballot as a viable 3rd choice. Wyoming and Liz intrigues me greatly. If she went independent or joined in on the new conservative party, I wonder how she would fare in the statewide vote of staunch conservatives.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
great idea but 4+ years too late
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:

The separation differentiating distinction is simply Trump. The for party and the against party. Let it then settle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a great idea to help solidify the DEM stronghold on all branches of government and help the progressive wing grow stronger. I can hear AOC and Bernie cheering them on from the back benches.

This group would be skewered for standing by all the time Trump was in office and only now making a break. Quotes and votes in support of trump would bury these folks. There is no breaking away now.

These folks would have to start caucusing with the DEMS and simply do what they are told or get out of politics. No way they could win elections as a Third party with no Trump voter support, no dem voter support, and fight off the attacks of being previous Trump supporters.

I say go for it and let's see what happens.
Quote Reply
Re: 3rd Party? [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LorenzoP wrote:

There's never a wrong time to do the right thing. A general truism of life.
Quote Reply
Re: 3rd Party? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
LorenzoP wrote:

the above is true, but if in addition to doing the right thing one also wants to be successful or at least minimize damage, then timing is important. when Trump mocked the disabled journalist, or the grab them by the pussy video was released . . . this would have been the time to put the kibosh on Trump
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LorenzoP wrote:
the above is true, but if in addition to doing the right thing one also wants to be successful or at least minimize damage, then timing is important. when Trump mocked the disabled journalist, or the grab them by the pussy video was released . . . this would have been the time to put the kibosh on Trump

You're right. There are half a dozen moments (at least) in 2015 where Trump should been finished, and a lot of people said nothing. (Or some of those who did say something, like Graham, slithered back to the center of power).

But I don't think a purity test here is helpful. We don't need to lionize Cheney et al, with new chapters in Profiles in Courage. But I don't think we need to trash them either.
Quote Reply
Re: 3rd Party? [gofigure] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm hopeful for Cheney here in Wyoming. I actually think a lot of democrats (both of them) in the state will vote in the republican primary to try to get her in. The alternatives to Cheney aren't clear yet for WY but it will undoubtedly be a Trump proxy.

I am inspired by her standing up to the cult of Trump and will support her in my home state.
Quote Reply
Re: 3rd Party? [307trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
I'm hopeful for Cheney here in Wyoming. I actually think a lot of democrats (both of them) in the state will vote in the republican primary to try to get her in. The alternatives to Cheney aren't clear yet for WY but it will undoubtedly be a Trump proxy.

I am inspired by her standing up to the cult of Trump and will support her in my home state.

There are plenty of MTG, Boebert, Nunes, Jordan, or Gaetz wannabes in WY who would be first in line to kiss the orange ring in Mar-a-Lago to run against her.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: 3rd Party? [307trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:

I am encouraged to hear that. Sidewalk interviews of the locals conducted in Casper this week were not encouraging at all. Surely we can find more than 2 democrats to vote for her.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LorenzoP wrote:
trail wrote:
LorenzoP wrote:

This.

It's never too late to do the right thing, except when it is.

Standing athwart history yelling "STOP!!!" when history has already passed you by, for example.

This will go nowhere, unfortunately. Money goes to power and power remains entrenched in the two party system, beclowned though it may be.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: 3rd Party? [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:

Standing athwart history yelling "STOP!!!" when history has already passed you by, for example.

Analogy doesn't quite fit though because Trump clearly hasn't passed us by yet. He's still powerful, and there is still room for Trump critics. Having a purity test for who's allowed to criticize Trump may not be the best strategy.

I tend to think it should be a big ole party bus. Jump on the bandwagon!
Last edited by: trail: May 13, 21 9:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a general question, with a third party does the US constitution allow for minority/coalition governments?

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: 3rd Party? [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No.
Quote Reply