Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Australia Travel Ban [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
Precisely my point. A list of top Australian beers is about 50% foreign imports of big box brands.

I'm guessing you don't realise that "imported" beers are a very niche product in just about every significant world market.

Any foreign beer that achieves decent sales will soon start being brewed locally under licence. You might expect that the licence strictly controls the recipe and methodology, but not even that is necessarily true. Recipes are often customised for local tastes. It is all about marketing.

Peroni in Australia is brewed in Australia by Asahi. It's as much Italian as Australian as Japanese. It's beer....

Fosters is no longer available in Australia (except for a literal handful of venues popular with tourists). It is widely available globally, but it is brewed by multiple brewers, and with multiple recipes, none of which exactly match the original which was once popular in Australia.

The list is bogus, but you can be sure that the "top" Australian beers (by sales) are all brewed in Australia from Australian ingredients, although most of the ownership is now foreign, and the labels (which is what many people really pay for) are based on designs from all over the world. The same is pretty much true in the US.

I once had a girlfriend who worked in marketing for Chanel. We used to laugh at the black magic of marketing required to convince people to pay $4000 for a product that cost $25 to make. A case of beer might be pretty cheap by comparison, but the level of voodoo in marketing is at least as high.

It's beer. Buy it cheap, drink it cold, don't overthink it.

And Australia? Yes. Why would you want to be anywhere else?
Quote Reply
Re: Australia Travel Ban [Bone Idol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And somehow a question about travelling to Australia turned into a thread about beer....
Quote Reply
Re: Australia Travel Ban [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amnesia wrote:
JerseyBigfoot wrote:
ironnerd wrote:
Why would anyone want to leave Australia - awesome scenery, fantastic weather, almost no Covid, booming economy, world best beer, best beaches, sport stadiums full of people, no gun violence, no masks, ....

I mean, the beer bit is a total stretch… Fosters is a fucking abomination and XXXX is no better. It’s a bold claim.

I think you know the downside with Australia… there are a lot of Aussies there.. ;) Hell, half the population of London appears to be made up of Aussies on the lam… if your own nationals can’t stomach each other, not much use being in a pretty cage where all the local fauna are trying to poison you.

You do realize that nobody here in Australia actually drinks those awful beers??!! It’s like our joke on the rest of the beer drinking world…..

Absolutely the truth. I’ve never had a fosters in my life. I don’t even think its sold Here. And only old guys and tourists in Queensland drink xxxx. Vb is the worst beer made. Well next to Budweiser.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Australia Travel Ban [Nazgul350r] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nazgul350r wrote:
When will the Australian government allow their people to travel again?

According to the federal budget last week not until 2022.
Australia only has AZ which they are only using for 50+. Pfizer vaccines will only start arriving in big numbers late in 2021. The majority of Australians will not be vaccinated until late 2021 or early 2022.
Quote Reply

Prev Next