Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Baseball managers are stupid
Quote | Reply
Can anyone explain what Jim Leyland hoped to accomplish here?

I mean aside from trying to embarrass the umpire, which seems like a very shortsighted plan.

And why is it that baseball is pretty much the only sport where Managers/Coaches get ejected in a regular basis?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Baseball managers are stupid [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably the same reason they allow fighting in NHL. Entertainment.
Quote Reply
Re: Baseball managers are stupid [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. Entertainment.

If they had a rule that says the second you step out of the dugout, you are gone for ten games, it would stop.
On. A. Dime.

But they toss a guy for the remaining few innings of a game, which is one of 162 games, and there really is no penalty for the behavior. Then it makes the highlights and drives up fan interest. It makes us think, "Wow! Look at all that passion! There is real passion in this game! I better watch some baseball!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stupidest thing. Baseball managers (and coaches) wear baseball uniforms. Do they also wear jockstraps with their uniforms? Because you never know when they're going to grab a bat/glove and go into the game.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How old is that video? Leyland hasn't managed the Tigers since 2013.

But, yeah, it was one of the things that they highlighted when the Cubs hired Lou Pinella. They were advertising the 'energy' and how he 'inspires' through his outbursts and umpire arguing. Fans went to the game hoping to see an outburst and Lou was looking for reasons to give it to them. I'd rather he shut up and get his team to play good baseball. But, that's just me I guess.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Baseball managers are stupid [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
Stupidest thing. Baseball managers (and coaches) wear baseball uniforms. Do they also wear jockstraps with their uniforms? Because you never know when they're going to grab a bat/glove and go into the game.

If i were a manager for a day I would tool up in full catchers gear or maybe one of those elbow guards batters wear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He was no Bobby Valentine, that's for sure

"Bobby? He's in the clubhouse. My name is Dave. I'm new here."

There's a part of this legendary story, I'd never heard/known until TIL

Quote:
Valentine says the nearly 4-year-old son of pitcher Pat Mahomes was also in the clubhouse the night Valentine donned his disguise. But when ESPN recently asked the son -- better known as NFL MVP/Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes -- he said he was very young then and doesn't remember.

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does baseball have a way of penalizing a team that could potentially affect the score? Hockey, you get a bench minor and the other team gets a 2 minute advantage. Football, you get docked yardage making it harder to score. In basketball, the other team gets free throws. In baseball, you have to watch on tv instead of from the bench (dugout).

My question is, how much influence does a baseball manager actually even have on the game? Other than occasionally changing out a pitcher, what do they do? It seems to me like that is the most useless coach/manger position in all of sports. (*this is based on my total of two years playing ball when I was a kid, so I am easily an expert on the subject)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Starting from scratch...
Quote Reply
Re: Baseball managers are stupid [DieselPete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DieselPete wrote:
Agreed. Entertainment.

If they had a rule that says the second you step out of the dugout, you are gone for ten games, it would stop.
On. A. Dime.

What fun is that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
Stupidest thing. Baseball managers (and coaches) wear baseball uniforms

A) Tradition

B) regular clothes would get dirty and dusty
Quote Reply
Re: Baseball managers are stupid [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:

A) Tradition

Tradition is a stupid answer.

Regular clothes would not get dirty if they didn’t run in the field and act like idiots.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:

A) Tradition

Regular clothes would not get dirty if they didn’t run in the field and act like idiots.

Tradition is usually the answer in regards to any sport. I have to admit, I fall back on tradition a lot when discussing basketball. I don't like many of the new rules and how the game is played. The common statement from me is, "I like the way it used to be." I know that's messed up but I just liked the game better when I was younger. It was more about strategy instead of just pure athleticism, the best team won. That's not the case anymore.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:

A) Tradition

In a Dome not on a real field with wind
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:

A) Tradition

Tradition? Dirty and dusty?

Back in the 20th century, Connie Mack (Philadelphia A's) and Burt Shotton (Brooklyn Dodgers) wore suits. Football coaches seem to do fine standing on dirty and dusty (and sometimes wet and muddy) fields (not even being able to sit in a dugout) without donning cleats, helmets, and shoulder pads.

Senators' manager Bucky Harris and Mack, Opening Day, April 13, 1926, Griffith Stadium, D.C.; Senators won in the 9th, 1–0

It's part of the "I'm going out in public in yoga pants and a T-shirt" mentality. Or maybe they think it makes them look cool?

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:

A) Tradition

Do I look like a Tampa Bay fan?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:

A) Tradition

Do I look like a Tampa Bay fan?

Definitely lacking the tan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:

A) Tradition

If I recall, there's something in the actual Rule Book that says you're not allowed on the field unless you're in team uniform

So, if a manager wants to go to the mound to give his pitcher shit for loading the bases and he'd better not fuck up here, he's gotta be in uniform

I could be wrong

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:

Agreed. It is especially absurd when the manager is getting old. The attempt to resemble an athlete is pathetic. Dress for the job you actually perform.
Quote Reply
Re: Baseball managers are stupid [skinny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
skinny wrote:
Does baseball have a way of penalizing a team that could potentially affect the score? Hockey, you get a bench minor and the other team gets a 2 minute advantage. Football, you get docked yardage making it harder to score. In basketball, the other team gets free throws. In baseball, you have to watch on tv instead of from the bench (dugout).

My question is, how much influence does a baseball manager actually even have on the game? Other than occasionally changing out a pitcher, what do they do? It seems to me like that is the most useless coach/manger position in all of sports. (*this is based on my total of two years playing ball when I was a kid, so I am easily an expert on the subject)

I think the answer to your first question is no. Arguing with an ump or fighting can get you tossed, but the ump can’t add, subtract, or move runners for those infractions.

As to your second question, coaching decisions matter: who starts, when to pinch hit, when to steal, when to shift the infield, when to intentionally walk the batter, when to bunt, when to switch pitchers, etc. Collectively those decisions can make a big difference.
Quote Reply
Re: Baseball managers are stupid [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
If I recall, there's something in the actual Rule Book that says you're not allowed on the field unless you're in team uniform

So, if a manager wants to go to the mound to give his pitcher shit for loading the bases and he'd better not fuck up here, he's gotta be in uniform

I could be wrong

No, managers do not need to be in uniform when they go onto the field (unlike players and the 1st/3rd base coaches).

while players and coaches are explicitly required to wear uniforms, there is no mention of managers specifically needing to wear the team’s uniform, nor will you find such a reference explicitly stated anywhere in the rule book. In fact, they even allude to the fact that managers are not required to wear a uniform in rule 3.15: “No person shall be allowed on the playing field during a game except players and coaches in uniform, managers, news photographers…” mentioning that players and coaches must be “in uniform” but putting managers in a different category.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2015/02/baseball-managers-wear-teams-uniform-instead-suit-like-sports/

Quote Reply