Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Your relatively obscure historical heroes [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Growing up, I thought what Helen Keller did was amazing.

Quote Reply
Re: Your relatively obscure historical heroes [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And you can see some of his balloons etc in many museums in France, including one in Lyon called Clément Ader museum :-)
If you like Santos-Dumont's story, you should like Ader's.
Quote Reply
Re: Your relatively obscure historical heroes [Kentcart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kentcart wrote:
Joshua Chamberlain is my go-to guy when looking at historical figures who lived awesome lives. The guy was a college professor from Maine when he joined the Union army and was put in charge of the 20th Maine just before the battle of Gettysburg. His regiment was assigned to the far left flank of the Union position. While getting in position, he noticed a hill even further left that commanded the Union line. On his own orders, he pushed his line to the hill, Little Round Top, where his regiment repulsed numerous attacks. He was wounded during the battle and eventually ordered a bayonet charge that beat off the last attack and secured the union flank. He received the Congressional Medal of Honor for his actions. Not bad for a college professor.

He continued a successful Army career throughout the war, was wounded several more times because he led from the front, and was tapped by General Grant to accept the confederate surrender at Appomattox. At the surrender, General Chamberlain ordered his men to attention and to render a salute as a show of respect to the soldiers who were once again fellow Americans. Chamberlain left the Army following the war and eventually became the Governor of Maine for several years, then returned to Bowdin College as the president of the college.

I have him as my obscure hero because here is a dude from a decidedly non-military background who figures out what combat and leading soldier is all about, lead from the front, was honorable in his dealings with friend and foe, continued his service to country and state following the war, and resumed his life of academia. This guy had an amazing life.

Ahh! You stole my thunder. Been a huge fan of his for many years.

He is the epitome of what an American can and should be.

For what it's worth - He is considered to have died from his wounds from the Civil War in 1914. And at least according to wikipedia - perhaps the last Civil War casualty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is Florence nightingale obscure?

Developed a nursing school, field hospital, identified the need to seperate medical and surgical patients in the crime, determined air flow limits for wards that basically have stood the test of time in terms of building specs and she led from the front.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:

I've always felt that Thomas Paine got the shaft, given his immense contributions to the spread of enlightenment ideals, iconoclasm (Religion, Church, State), and his role in pushing the colonies toward revolution and inspiring them on the eve of Washington's Crossing.

Outside of government only Franklin is considered a Founding Father. I've always considered Paine the Forgotten Founder. My oldest son bears Paine's last name as his middle; my little contribution to honoring the man whom John Adams once called "..a mongrel between pig and puppy, begotten by a wild boar on a bitch wolf," everything short of "son of a motherless goat!"

Thomas Paine Century ride

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Your relatively obscure historical heroes [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think my favorite is... Meh, good enough - Mediocrates. He is one of the lesser know Greek Philosophers that has been making average a pretty good thing since before the time of Christ. Lesser known, but widely followed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rachel Carson - Marine Biologist, Author of 'Silent Spring' pioneering research in the effects of pesticides in the environment.

Rosalind Franklin - DNA research prior to the scientists who received the credit.

Dr. John Ratey - Neuropsychiatrist and researcher on all of the positive effects vigorous physical activity has on the brain.
Quote Reply
Re: Your relatively obscure historical heroes [BIKE3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Juan Sebastian Elcano - completed Magellan's circumnavigation, after he ... well, we know what happened to him

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply

Prev Next