Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Thoughts on flying with young kids this summer?
Quote | Reply
Looking at the other post about summer vacation plans, I didn’t see many people planning to fly with young kids. I’d love to visit my brother in law who just moved to the mountains near Salt Lake City with our 4 and 6 year old. We are both vaccinated, kids are not.

My wife thinks the plane is safe enough and with kids in masks they will be fine but I still feel it’s a little risky.

Who’s flying with young kids and who is holding off until next year and what are your thoughts behind the decision?
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on flying with young kids this summer? [Triocd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My youngest daughter will be flying with grandparents this summer. Grandparents are vaxxed. I have 0 concerns.

I flew to Denver last October wore a mask and plane was full, zero empty seats. Had no issues.

If you have deemed it safe enough for you I see no reason why it would be less safe for the kids
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on flying with young kids this summer? [Fasterthanslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fasterthanslow wrote:
My youngest daughter will be flying with grandparents this summer. Grandparents are vaxxed. I have 0 concerns.

I flew to Denver last October wore a mask and plane was full, zero empty seats. Had no issues.

If you have deemed it safe enough for you I see no reason why it would be less safe for the kids

Because me and my wife are vaccinated and the kids are not
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We flew New York to Orlando and back in April. Both flights were the Disney Express full of screaming kids.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We are going to Hawaii later this summer with our 12 yo. I now expect him to be vaccinated by then, but when we booked the trip a few weeks ago that was still up in the air.

There is risk, but I have mitigated as much as possible. I bought upgraded Delta one pod seats so we will have plenty of space and Hawaii currently requires visitors to provide either proof of vaccination or a negative test within 3 days of arrival.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m sitting in the terminal in Dallas heading back to Denver. From my seat I can see 5 or 6 people without masks while they are sitting/eating or drinking (this is out of ~100). I was nervous about what flying would be like, but I have to admit that I am pleasantly surprised. I have not seen people breaking the mask rules, and people seem to be giving each other plenty of space unless they are in the Starbucks line. I have 2 young children (2yrs and 3mos) and my main concern would be whether the oldest would keep his mask on. Yours are older and probably better behaved. I have seen plenty of kids that age and the ones on my last flight did very well. My only recommendation is that you bring your own hand sanitizer as I’ve found more empty dispensers in the airport than full. In the end, it’s a risk/benefit question about how much you want to go there this summer or delay. Personally, I would fly my kids only if I had to but I think it would be safe to do so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flew back in April from Boston to Orlando with my 4 and 6 year old, plane was packed. Everyone was wearing a mask and frankly my kids are so used to wearing masks by now that’s it not a problem for them. Plus I thinks it’s been proven by now that flying is safe, I had zero concerns.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have to fly from CO to Savannah, GA with a layover in Houston. I am in no way shape or form comfortable with this scenario and it’s driving me crazy that we are going. It’s my in-laws 50th wedding anniversary trip. They are paying for a large chunk of it, and the husband agreed to go. They planned it 6 months ago in the thick of the shitstorm, and don’t give 2 shits about us or our kids flying. They’ve said it’s ok if we don’t come, “they’d understand”, but every conversation since actually says otherwise. We can’t drive. The scenarios involving driving don’t work with school and work schedules. Can you tell I’m bitter? We’ll do it, kids will be exposed I’m sure, husband and I will be vaxxed. Vax or not, I just have no desire AT ALL to travel and be subjected to a billion other tourists shoved into restaurants and other enclosed spaces (like airplanes). Luckily we live in paradise so it’s not like we’re stuck inside a high rise and can’t get out into nature or anything so that definitely contributes to my not feeling the need to go anywhere.

Thanks for letting me vent. Aside from my husband and my mom, I just have to silently stew.

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on flying with young kids this summer? [RockyMtnChic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeez.. u sound EXACTLY like my wife..
( Sweetie.. is that you ?:)

And that’s a compliment as she is by far the brightest in the Shady household . Well her and my 11 yrold D..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My kids are older, 12 and 14. They will be vaccinated soon and after that, we will travel as needed/wanted/necessary(though I'm not in a rush).

Prior to the recent disclosure that Pfizer was looking for approval 12-15, I would not have flown them and said as much on another thread.

Though the situation has changed with regards to the approval of their age group, if there was a plan to get the vaccine approved in the next few months for your kids ages, I would wait it out. Last I heard there will be a push to get 4-11 approved before labor day. But if there is no end in sight, as far as the vaccine being available in the foreseeable future, I don't know how much longer I would wait as it could stretch on into next year or beyond.

Good luck to you.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on flying with young kids this summer? [shady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This applies to dipshit self defense gun owners also:

The pople and things that are most likely to kill you:
1) Yourself- deliberately, accidentally, or some middle ground
2) Your spouse
3) Your kids or parents
4) Friends, neighbors, coworkers.

The more distant the threat, typically the lower the risk?

How does this apply to Covid19?
1) You are more likely to give and get Covid from friends and family than from masked strangers.
2) Especially with children (but for everyone) it is not Covid that kills but some other condition internal to the victim which is the cause. Covid19 is just an accelerant.
3) The argument that your kids might be promoting spread:
A) Kids are less likely to get or spread
B) At risk populations in America should be vaccinated by then. If they are not vaccinated it's largely on them.
C) Hunger, malaria, lack of basic healthcare, war- are still the biggest risks to third world people.
What have you done about that?
(I am not being self-righteous. I have done little. I just don't think my personal choices related to covid19 are an effective way of helping third world.)
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on flying with young kids this summer? [shady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shady wrote:
jeez.. u sound EXACTLY like my wife..
( Sweetie.. is that you ?:)

And that’s a compliment as she is by far the brightest in the Shady household . Well her and my 11 yrold D..

Hahaha!! Good to know I’m not the only one and not totally insane. I willfully admit there has to be some degree of insanity here - I did birth 4 kids!

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just booked tickets to the Bahamas with our kids. Everything I have read flying isn’t a high risk activity and like Hawaii, the Bahamas requires negative testing before flying. Direct flights and less than 2 hours, so we shouldn’t have any problems with keeping masks on. Plan on totally isolating when we get back (which is pretty much normal routine for us for the past year.)

Looking at a cross country flight later in the summer, but will wait to book that. I am hopeful that the numbers will continue to go down as time goes on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We went to St John for Spring break with a 9 year old, a 6 year old and an infant.

We had a private place, my wife and I were fully vaxed and, like most island territories with the ability to do so, St John had a strong negative test entry requirement.

We felt safe, I think we were safe and it was a great trip. I would characterize our approach through the pandemic as very cautious but not obsessively so. We went back and forth on this trip A LOT but it was a good choice in the end.

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on flying with young kids this summer? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is my take. And if you weren't asking for opinions I would not be giving it. I would love to travel, but my daughter has not been vaccinated yet. Wife and I have. Here is the thing. We have gone more than a year, being safe, why risk exposing her now. It would seem very selfish if I put my daughter at risk just so I could travel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Working in the industry, my family was flying long haul in the peak of COVID last May. So we are outliers in terms of risk assessment.

That much said, from the beginning of this pandemic until now I have know countless families flying all over the world with kids. I have yet to see anyone come back and come down with COVID.

I am still sticking to the old anecdote even during COVID. Your kids are more likely to be injured in an auto accident on the way to the airport than by picking up COVID on the plane.

If you look at the statistics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triocd wrote:
Looking at the other post about summer vacation plans, I didn’t see many people planning to fly with young kids. I’d love to visit my brother in law who just moved to the mountains near Salt Lake City with our 4 and 6 year old. We are both vaccinated, kids are not.

My wife thinks the plane is safe enough and with kids in masks they will be fine but I still feel it’s a little risky.

Who’s flying with young kids and who is holding off until next year and what are your thoughts behind the decision?

Air on planes is fairly safe, per studies and experts. https://medical.mit.edu/.../how-safe-air-travel

https://www.nytimes.com/...covid-19-safety.html

Air is refreshed roughly every two to three minutes — a higher rate than in grocery stores and other indoor spaces, experts say. It’s one reason, in addition to safety protocols, that there have not been many superspreader events documented on flights.

More and more people are vaccinated and cases are down greatly in USA. Generally, higher educated, higher income are most likely to be vaccinated and those are typically the people flying for leisure. My partner and I are vaccinated and our kids are a little older than yours. We flew a several hour flight earlier this year to go skiing in the Salt Lake City area. Our kids are healthy and have no underlying health concerns. It was a great trip. Our kids have no issues wearing masks for long periods, as they wear them in school from 8am to 3pm. Bring your hand sanitizer and enjoy!

We turned on the AC overhead to form an air bubble over the kids, as that is supposed to help keep fresh new air in their breathing area. We brought light jackets for the kids to stay comfy.
Last edited by: wetswimmer99: May 9, 21 21:11
Quote Reply