Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ballot security/ suppression laws, how does this work out for the Repulbican Party? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The simple answer is that the majority of thefts have nothing to do with vulnerabilities in the blockchains themselves, but can instead be attributed to human error. With the traditional banking system, we rely heavily on the tools employed by our banks and governments to keep our money secure and often times, we can’t even see that these security systems are there
Quote Reply
Re: Ballot security/ suppression laws, how does this work out for the Repulbican Party? [sosayusall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly. But humans are involved. So they're not secure. It's like saying planes are safe, except when they're high up in the air.
Quote Reply
Re: Ballot security/ suppression laws, how does this work out for the Repulbican Party? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Planes are pretty safe when flying in the air by humans.... yes not 100 percent safe but still safe.

Any voting mechanism would need some form of mail component. Bitcoin wallets make things much more secure.

I dont know how it would be implemented but I do a bunch of stuff with my computer/phone. I dont think its too much to ask to be able to vote from my computer. Alternatively, I think I should be able to vote via phone/mail.

In virgina we had to vote at a single polling place on election day. It was dumb and the lines were like 3 hours long. Things have changed since then. But they should keep moving forward until I can vote from home.
Last edited by: sosayusall: May 10, 21 12:49
Quote Reply
Re: Ballot security/ suppression laws, how does this work out for the Repulbican Party? [sosayusall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sosayusall. Bitcoin wallets make things much more secure.[/quote wrote:

More secure than what? They're as secure as the effort put into making them secure. Some are fly by night. Some approach the security of a big bank.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
They're as secure as the effort put into making them secure.

So we are in agreement that they can be made secure by putting more effort into making them secure?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sosayusall wrote:
Quote:
They're as secure as the effort put into making them secure.

So we are in agreement that they can be made secure by putting more effort into making them secure?

Anything can. Sure. Same with voting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That’s my point. We should be able to have secure voting from home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sosayusall wrote:
I dont know how it would be implemented but I do a bunch of stuff with my computer/phone. I dont think its too much to ask to be able to vote from my computer. Alternatively, I think I should be able to vote via phone/mail.

I think you don't understand the fundamental difficulty of what you want. This is so much more difficult and different than any system that currently exists.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sosayusall wrote:
That’s my point. We should be able to have secure voting from home.

But chaparral is right. "Security" encompasses a range of attributes, like authentication, integrity, traceability, transparency. Some of these are in conflict. Deciding on the right mix will be a challenge. It's far more complicated than making a secure financial transaction.

Funding it is also a huge problem. Financial software is generally funded by transaction fees. But voting is generally free. So funding top shelf software security could be unpopular once the taxpayer implications are clear.
Quote Reply
Re: Ballot security/ suppression laws, how does this work out for the Repulbican Party? [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Ballot security/ suppression laws, how does this work out for the Repulbican Party? [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I think you don't understand the fundamental difficulty of what you want. This is so much more difficult and different than any system that currently exists.

I have ZERO clue of the difficulty of being able to remotely vote. 100% ignorant on this.

I assume at some point people said it was too difficult to securely vote by mail.

Things are moving digital.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sosayusall wrote:
Quote:

I have ZERO clue of the difficulty of being able to remotely vote. 100% ignorant on this.

I assume at some point people said it was too difficult to securely vote by mail.

Here in Ruby-Red, Republican Utah (I think Wyoming is the only more red state in the Union), we have had vote by mail for a decade with no problems at all. In fact, you are sent a ballot by mail whether you want it or not, then you get text and email reminders to send it back on time.

The same 40+ year-old software that is used to verify bank check signatures is used to scan vote ballots. It's cheap and it has raised voter participation.

Therefore, because there is no inter-party resistance, there is also no obstacle to state-wide vote by mail.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sosayusall wrote:
Quote:

Voting needs to be simultaneously secure and anonymous. And we need to be able to perform audits. Voting by mail or drop box ends up being pretty great for those three requirements.
Quote Reply
Re: Ballot security/ suppression laws, how does this work out for the Repulbican Party? [CallMeMaybe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CallMeMaybe wrote:
Voting needs to be simultaneously secure and anonymous.

As an aside, the Arizona "audit" push to do door-knock verification is absolutely bananas. I know it's silly, but I imagine the alternate universe where, say, Hillary-aligned private auditors go door-to-door doing unsolicited door-knocking in Trump neighborhoods.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sosayusall wrote:

I'm a software engineer and huge tech proponent. I own cryptocurrency. But I just don't see this happening anytime soon in the U.S.

One reason is what we're seeing with Dominion now. A huge lack of trust. And a visceral need to touch and feel every ballot, and then *then* not being completely trusting. What technological solution could satisfy chdxxtri (sp?) on this forum. It'd have to be 100% open source. So that every line of code could be scrutinized to ensure there's not a secret backdoor for the Chinese, Hillary, the Jewish, etc. And software companies are incredibly resistant to that. Because it exposes all their proprietary and innovative techniques (or lack thereof). For over a decade before now, I wasn't a big fan of Dominion and its predecessor Diebold precisely because it resisted hardcore analysis of its security practices. They preferred the so-called security-through-obscurity. And my distaste for Dominion doesn't hold a candle to the outright belief they're actively an agent of fraud, like millions of people feel now.

Ideally, to be truly "American" every state would have its own software. Developed completely independently. Rather than one company becoming the American standard (like Dominion owns a large segment of the automated tabulation market). Because part of our election security is the lack of centralized control. So if a system were compromised or hacked, you'd just be hacking one state, not the entire election. I just don't see this as being likely. What big corporation would be trusted. Amazon, Microsoft, Google, Facebook, Apple, etc, are all subject to beliefs that they're engaged in the corporate goals of "deplatforming" and defeating Trump/Trumpism. What corporation would be entrusted with red state software? Are name-brand companies automatically out of the running?

I can come up with another dozen really hard barriers. I just don't see it happening.
Quote Reply
Re: Ballot security/ suppression laws, how does this work out for the Repulbican Party? [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s really my only point. In 2021 people shouldn’t have to be physically present to vote.

After we have implementations that work, and are safe/secure/etc. we should move forward to making voting easier.

Everyone in a state should have pretty similar experience.

I moved from Virginia (horrible voting procedures in the 80/90s) to Texas where things are soooo much better (early voting for a month). It makes voting easier.

For midterms/state races, if I could vote from home I would do it a lot more often then I vote in person.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sosayusall wrote:
For midterms/state races, if I could vote from home I would do it a lot more often then I vote in person.

Wow! Bragging about multiple voting. I think we've finally uncovered election fraud. ;-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next