Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Re: Bill Gates gets divorced [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:

I think as long as both people are acting reasonably (and yes, that is an enormously high bar sometimes) they can stay together. If one of them got infatuated with someone else move them into a wing of the house. The chances of that relationship lasting is minimal anyways.

yes and no? Apparently there was a decades long understanding that Bill could go away for a long weekend once a year with an old girlfriend. Sounds like that old movie with Alan Alda, "This Time Next Year". Pretty darn civilised and I think they were still doing it?

It's not known whether or not this was a factor in the split.

https://www.newsweek.com/...R7F_ON0u4l3guQKd6eEk
Quote Reply
Re: Bill Gates gets divorced [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
kiki wrote:
marriage is hard to hold together. the end.

I don't know. Sometimes that seems easier than the alternative.

We're a little bit younger but have been together a little bit longer than them. I can't imagine going through the process of trying to find someone and getting to know someone that well again. I don't think I could do it. I just don't like that many people. Given that we still like each other a lot I think we are in the clear, but unless one of us had a complete personality change I can't see it happening.

I think as long as both people are acting reasonably (and yes, that is an enormously high bar sometimes) they can stay together. If one of them got infatuated with someone else move them into a wing of the house. The chances of that relationship lasting is minimal anyways.

Heck now that I think about it, we have a bedroom no one uses, if one of us wanted a side piece for a while I suppose we could move them in there.

One curious thing I read for the first time yesterday, and this is completely unverified by me so could be someone farting in the wind, was that Bill had spent time with Epstein post-2009. That could be something that is pretty hard to get past if there is anything there.

With that kind of wealth, you don't need to find someone. Someone (likely many) will try to find you.

Reminds me of a story of a young co-worker who's friend won a sizable lottery amount. I asked her why she felt bad for her friend that won. She said because with the winnings, her friend will now never know if there's true love.
Quote Reply
Re: Bill Gates gets divorced [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:
j p o wrote:

yes and no? Apparently there was a decades long understanding that Bill could go away for a long weekend once a year with an old girlfriend. Sounds like that old movie with Alan Alda, "This Time Next Year". Pretty darn civilised and I think they were still doing it?

It's not known whether or not this was a factor in the split.

https://www.newsweek.com/...R7F_ON0u4l3guQKd6eEk

You never know what goes on in a marriage unless you are in it. :) I've always really liked that we got married young. All my best memories are with my wife. But I never give much marriage advice because I am pretty sure the things we do in our marriage only apply to us.

A lot of people try to play at the open marriage game. And it can work for some, but once it stops working the fallout can be wicked. Hard to undo/unsee things and jealousy is hard to put back in the bottle.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Bill Gates gets divorced [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The way they write the press releases about these breakups make it sound like a business deal mixed in with some new age speech. "After trying to resolve our differences, we realized we were on a seperate path to self fulfilment. After doing a thorough analysis we decided to go our different ways"

In the end nothing like two minimum wage factory workers breaking up and now Johnny can't play hockey in the winter and Sally can't play soccer and now no hope for a college fund.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Bill Gates gets divorced [Nutella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Forbes has him listed as 130 billion. Business insider a few other places same thing with the foundation listed as having a seperate 45 billionish.

https://www.businesstoday.in/current/economy-politics/bill-and-melinda-gates-agree-to-divide-over-130-billion-of-assets/story/438235.html#:~:text=As%20per%20Forbes%2C%20the%20Microsoft,net%20worth%20of%20%24130.5%20billion.&text=Besides%2C%20the%20Bill%20and%20Melinda,a

Quote Reply
Re: Bill Gates gets divorced [spockwaslen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well 27 years seems about right for all the children to be out of the nest. I'm guessing this was in the works for a while.
Quote Reply
Re: Bill Gates gets divorced [40-Tude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
40-Tude wrote:

With that kind of wealth, you don't need to find someone. Someone (likely many) will try to find you.

Reminds me of a story of a young co-worker who's friend won a sizable lottery amount. I asked her why she felt bad for her friend that won. She said because with the winnings, her friend will now never know if there's true love.

A lot of truth to that. She would be best served moving away and pretending she didn't have a ton of money. I would be worried about the same thing for my children if they stumbled into a lot of money like that.

You think of all the ugly football players who have gorgeous wives. It makes me wonder how long they'll stay around when the checks quit coming in.
Quote Reply
Re: Bill Gates gets divorced [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The lottery example is an interesting one. Plenty of people around with net worth more than many lottery winners but they don't have the same worries. Someone wins the lottery and all of a sudden lots of people want a piece of that.

Quote Reply
Re: Bill Gates gets divorced [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:
Well 27 years seems about right for all the children to be out of the nest. I'm guessing this was in the works for a while.

I've seen it argued by sociobiology types that the "honeymoon" period of being in love lasts just long enough to have a kid and for that kid to become independent enough that they are no longer entirely dependent on mom, making her ready to move on to having the next kid, potentially with a different man.

So by that measure they made it 20+ years longer than their physiology evolved for them to make it.
Quote Reply
Re: Bill Gates gets divorced [spockwaslen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spockwaslen wrote:
The lottery example is an interesting one. Plenty of people around with net worth more than many lottery winners but they don't have the same worries. Someone wins the lottery and all of a sudden lots of people want a piece of that.

True. I don't know if there are many (any?) lottery winners on the Forbes list. I think the lottery situation is because it's usually publicized loudly. Winners themselves may throw their own wild bash to celebrate. And someone playing the lottery enough is probably looking for short-cuts to riches. All of which invites friends, family, and others to come of the woodwork for a piece of the winner's new found wealth.

But lottery winner or not, any flaunting or display of wealth tends to attract the gold diggers.
Quote Reply
Re: Bill Gates gets divorced [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Melinda started meeting with lawyers in 2019 when Bill's meetings with Epstein became public

https://www.theguardian.com/...rey-epstein-meetings
Quote Reply
Re: Bill Gates gets divorced [ChiTownJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He should have trusted her instinct.
Quote Reply

Prev Next