Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: NFL Draft 2021 [daustin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
daustin wrote:
madMike100 wrote:
I had a relative who went to one of these. He said that only about 10% knew they had to pay taxes on income. Scary. No wonder so many of them end up swindled and broke.

That is scary. And definitely goes to show you that many them don’t end up surrounding themselves with people they can trust and/or take good advice from.

Did you see the ad during the draft for Celebrity Family Feud with Steve Harvey and the NFL players? Steve Harvey said congratulations to everyone getting drafted but also added that they now need to tighten up their circles and get rid of probably 40% of the hanger ons who will only want to spend their money. Laying it out like it is.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: NFL Draft 2021 [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
jmh wrote:
Quote:
Jones is the happiest draft day slide in history.

I'm can't believe how lucky the Pats got for him to still be available at 15. I assumed the Broncos were going to take him.

The Broncos will be trading for Rodgers.

Broncos won Super Bowls with Elway and Peyton Manning; neither of whom did they draft

So, wait ... if Rodgers goes to Denver, then the two State Farm guys would be in the same division?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Last edited by: RandMart: May 3, 21 6:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
daustin wrote:
G-man wrote:
Jalen Rose mentioned the changes in roles of the young draftees post draft. A lot of them go from college student to Patron of the family. I hope each and every one of them get good advice and help in their money management. It is usually a fast career timeline and often ends up sad how so much money disappeared so fast.

Now if I could only figure which old nag to waste some money on this afternoon. Hotrod Charlie seems to be the one I favor right now. (by saying that I am sure I just doomed his chances)

The nfl does provide some training for rookies regarding money management and life as a professional athlete. Whether that’s ongoing or just a one off I don’t know.
I remember Cris Carter heading that up several years ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
daustin wrote:
madMike100 wrote:
I had a relative who went to one of these. He said that only about 10% knew they had to pay taxes on income. Scary. No wonder so many of them end up swindled and broke.

That is scary. And definitely goes to show you that many them don’t end up surrounding themselves with people they can trust and/or take good advice from.

They don't understand money. I remember a story of one player flying to play golf, buying expensive clubs, and leaving them behind afterwards.
Some buy cars for all their friends. Other drop $50k at restaurants.

I guess that is why I am impressed when guys like Shaq become billionaires and crafty businessmen after retiring.

Only because I am in Austin, I know Colt McCoy has invested in some franchises.

When the Browns were on Hard knocks, there was a scene where one guy was trying to explain finances.
Quote Reply
Re: NFL Draft 2021 [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
So, wait ... if Rodgers goes to Denver, then the two State Farm guys would be in the same division?

THIS.CANNOT.HAPPEN!!!!!! My two dudes cannot be in the same division. Fire the GB GM and get Aaron back to work!

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: NFL Draft 2021 [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another State Farm story [and I'm sure this happens a lot]

D'Kid & I were watching Sportscenter and during a highlight of a Phoenix game, they showed a closeup of Chris Paul, to which she said "He still plays basketball? I thought he was retired, that's why he does State Farm Commercials"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: NFL Draft 2021 [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
Jones is the happiest draft day slide in history.

He ended up in a great organization playing for a great coach. But...he now has worse offensive weapons than he did in college. He was playing with two top-10 WR and his RB was the first one of the board. The plus side for him is that he gets 2 games against the Jets every year

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: NFL Draft 2021 [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Urban is signing Tebow to play TE. And mentor Trevor Lawrence.

He’s like pros sports Herpes.
Quote Reply
Re: NFL Draft 2021 [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WannaB wrote:

To be fair, how else is Trevor Lawrence going to get advice from someone that completely failed at two different professional sports? That experience is priceless for someone that will be the face of the Jacksonville franchise
Quote Reply
Re: NFL Draft 2021 [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriskal wrote:
WannaB wrote:

To be fair, how else is Trevor Lawrence going to get advice from someone that completely failed at two different professional sports? That experience is priceless for someone that will be the face of the Jacksonville franchise

Those who can't, coach.
Quote Reply
Re: NFL Draft 2021 [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WannaB wrote:

Maybe Kaepernick wasn't available?

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: NFL Draft 2021 [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will be 34 in August. 11 years ago he ran a just below average 40 for a TE. Never blocked. Never ran a route.

This is a team mascot signing.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply

Prev Next