Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How many times could you "run the yard"? [DieselPete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Once you were on a loop you were 100% self supported and taking anything from any crew dnf'd you. Same goes for littering.

I did start my 29th loop. About .5 miles in I concluded that my body was done running. Uphill, downhill, on the flat, there was no more run left in me. Knowing the course was not walkable in 60 minutes and knowing that continuing would simply be a 90 minute painful and ultimately useless walk, I turned around and walked back to the starting corral.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DieselPete wrote:
One thing that I wondered about; how many drop out (choose to not start a next lap) as compared to DNF because they did not complete a lap fast enough? Did you start lap 29 and not get around, or did you do 28 and say, "That's it for me,"?

Watching a few of these on YouTube, I have a question about how it actually ends

Suppose we have only two competitors left at the end of Lap 36, let's say, meaning they both completed Lap 36

It's easy to see that if they both start Lap 37 and Competitor A makes it back within the hour, but Competitor B misses the cutoff, then Competitor A is your winner

However - again, after both complete Lap 36 - Competitor A answers the bell for Lap 37, but Competitor B says 'Fuck it, I'm done' does Competitor A still need to run Lap 37 or does just showing up in the corral on time count? Going further, what if B bails, A starts Lap 37 but misses the cutoff?

I'm guessing the answer would lie with each RD making that call, there's no 'official' rule book on these?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: How many times could you "run the yard"? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
DieselPete wrote:
One thing that I wondered about; how many drop out (choose to not start a next lap) as compared to DNF because they did not complete a lap fast enough? Did you start lap 29 and not get around, or did you do 28 and say, "That's it for me,"?

Watching a few of these on YouTube, I have a question about how it actually ends

Suppose we have only two competitors left at the end of Lap 36, let's say, meaning they both completed Lap 36

It's easy to see that if they both start Lap 37 and Competitor A makes it back within the hour, but Competitor B misses the cutoff, then Competitor A is your winner

However - again, after both complete Lap 36 - Competitor A answers the bell for Lap 37, but Competitor B says 'Fuck it, I'm done' does Competitor A still need to run Lap 37 or does just showing up in the corral on time count? Going further, what if B bails, A starts Lap 37 but misses the cutoff?

I'm guessing the answer would lie with each RD making that call, there's no 'official' rule book on these?

I’m just guessing, but since there’s no credit for partial laps I think that when B doesn’t start lap 37, A would still need to finish it within an hour or they would also have 36 completed laps and it would be a tie. Neither would get credit for 37. A doesn’t get credit for trying. But I absolutely do not KNOW that.

Do I think that A should win? Yes.
Did A complete one more lap than anyone else? No.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In most of the races worldwide, the "winner" must have completed 1 more loop than the first dnf. So, for example at my race, the woman who won did accomplish her 38th loop. The guy she was competing with did not complete his 38th loop within 60', so he only officially completed 37 loops. He was dnf'd and she was declared the winner. Had he of just made the cutoff time, say his 38th loop was 59:46 and he decided not to go on for a #39 loop, the woman who did win would have had to make a 39th loop within the 60' cutoff to have been declared the winner. Otherwise they both would have been scored at 38 completed loops and no winner would have been declared.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This seems like a combat version of everesting.

The biggest problem would be the unrelenting boredom.

Seeing my competition fail - might be a little bit satisfying.
But I cannot see that joy carrying me through the night.

One might be able to make it through the day racing on hate.
But to make it through the night- you need optimism.

I say 15 and I would be done.
Quote Reply
Re: How many times could you "run the yard"? [Ktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ktri wrote:
In most of the races worldwide, the "winner" must have completed 1 more loop than the first dnf. So, for example at my race, the woman who won did accomplish her 38th loop. The guy she was competing with did not complete his 38th loop within 60', so he only officially completed 37 loops. He was dnf'd and she was declared the winner. Had he of just made the cutoff time, say his 38th loop was 59:46 and he decided not to go on for a #39 loop, the woman who did win would have had to make a 39th loop within the 60' cutoff to have been declared the winner. Otherwise they both would have been scored at 38 completed loops and no winner would have been declared.

Kinda like Barkley, where everyone DNFs - most of the time, anyway

I propose that in that case, the tie-breaker would be faster last completed loop, but 2nd place does NOT get the DNF?

If it was MY race, anyway, and people insisted on a winner

YMMV

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Ktri wrote:

Kinda like Barkley, where everyone DNFs - most of the time, anyway

I propose that in that case, the tie-breaker would be faster last completed loop, but 2nd place does NOT get the DNF?

If it was MY race, anyway, and people insisted on a winner

YMMV

Or, if all (typically two) of the final competitors failed to complete the same loop within one hour, the athlete who was farther ahead at the hour mark in the incomplete lap is the winner.

Funny thing is that the event doesn't seem to be broken, so I'm not sure why I'm trying to fix it!

Looking at the results that I have seen, the winner does one more loop and probably could do several more if necessary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DieselPete wrote:
Funny thing is that the event doesn't seem to be broken, so I'm not sure why I'm trying to fix it!

This is the Slowtwitch way

Quote:
Looking at the results that I have seen, the winner does one more loop and probably could do several more if necessary.

I forget who it was - Maggie Guterl, maybe? - who had already secured a win Laz's Big Backyard, but kept going just to see how far she could push it

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats! And thanks for reporting back.

Is 200km on the cards next time? You know it's only another couple of laps? ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: How many times could you "run the yard"? [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:

I'm confidently predicting either:

a) You have quite a low boredom threshold.

b) You have never run an ultra longer than 50 miles.

c) You have never crewed for someone in an ultra.

d) Any combination of the above.
Quote Reply
Re: How many times could you "run the yard"? [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:

Won my AG in quite a few IMs.

That is fun. It's a race - the object being speed - even if you are not too fast at the end.

I have also Everested on an insufficiently step hill - with no time pressure.

That was the pinnacle of unrelenting boredom. I would have quit because I couldn't handle the post midnight boredom. But my girlfriend had invested some time in spectating - so I felt I had to finish.

A race is fundamentally different from some random event where you keep going at a very slow pace until everyone else has either given up. Or really, really sucks. Or you really suck first.

I just don't think I would care enough to keep going once the sun set.
Last edited by: Velocibuddha: May 6, 21 17:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
DieselPete wrote:

This is the Slowtwitch way

Quote:

I forget who it was - Maggie Guterl, maybe? - who had already secured a win Laz's Big Backyard, but kept going just to see how far she could push it

Nope. Laz doesn’t allow this; when only one person finishes a lap the race is over and everyone’s done. When Maggie won in 2019 she was still feeling good and regretted that it was over; she wanted to see if she could get to 300 miles.
Last edited by: Ijustrun: May 6, 21 17:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:
satanellus wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:

That is fun. It's a race - the object being speed - even if you are not too fast at the end.

That was the pinnacle of unrelenting boredom. I would have quit because I couldn't handle the post midnight boredom. But my girlfriend had invested some time in spectating - so I felt I had to finish.

A race is fundamentally different from some random event where you keep going at a very slow pace until everyone else has either given up. Or really, really sucks. Or you really suck first.

Something that makes the backyard style interesting is that Laz intentionally designed it so that the course isn’t so difficult that finishing any one loop in an hour is the hard part. In fact he changed his course to use the road at night because people couldn’t navigate the backyard trail fast enough after dark and nobody was surviving the night. And even though people are eliminated because they don’t finish a lap in time, that’s not Laz’s goal for this style of racing.

The race is a test of will. He believes most people refuse to continue not because they are too tired or beat up or bored but because they just lose the will to get out of the chair and go to the line when it’s so easy just to stop. People stop when they decide they’re not going to win.

The last few people though...they form a bond and as much as they want the win they don’t want the others to stop. At the end it’s a big mind game.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:
satanellus wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:

As I thought. You haven't run or been involved in an ultra of any length.

You fail to grasp that this is racing. Just as IM is. The difference is, because you're running a lot further than 26 miles, you're naturally running slower. But you're still pushing hard, racing strategically, making decisions, maximising efficiency, solving problems.

I appreciate the sport isn't everyone's bag, and indeed it may not be yours, but you might be surprised by how engaging it is if you checked it out, either as a competitor or working your arse off crewing for friend.

Or you could be right, you may just lack the required attention span. ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: How many times could you "run the yard"? [Ijustrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ijustrun wrote:
Nope. Laz doesn’t allow this; when only one person finishes a lap the race is over and everyone’s done. When Maggie won in 2019 she was still feeling good and regretted that it was over; she wanted to see if she could get to 300 miles.

That's it - I misremembered, thanks

Quote Reply
Re: How many times could you "run the yard"? [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:

You fail to grasp that this is racing. Just as IM is. The difference is, because you're running a lot further than 26 miles, you're naturally running slower. But you're still pushing hard, racing strategically, making decisions, maximising efficiency, solving problems.

I appreciate the sport isn't everyone's bag, and indeed it may not be yours, but you might be surprised by how engaging it is if you checked it out, either as a competitor or working your arse off crewing for friend.

Don't forget that if one should get 'bored' and let their mind wander in a trail race, one could very easily end up in the weeds, and not just a little bit banged up

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
satanellus wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:

Don't forget that if one should get 'bored' and let their mind wander in a trail race, one could very easily end up in the weeds, and not just a little bit banged up

For sure. Concentration especially while fatigued is part of the game.

I've lost trail during the graveyard shift during a couple of 100 milers. Navigation lapses, not paying attention to course markers or race instructions. Just not staying on top of my racing when physically and mentally fatigued.

It can be disconcerting when you're alone in the wilds at night and you realise you're no longer on the race course. I recall one occasion when I not only ran off the course but I'd run right off the race maps! Especially not a great feeling in the days pre-Garmin/pre-cell phone when all you have is a compass, the stars and your wits to get you back on course. :-/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suspect, in reality, not nearly has many as I would assume.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ktri wrote:
So I was able to get in 28 loops for 116 miles before ringing the bell. That got me a 3rd place finish, or Loser #2 The #2 finisher didn’t make it back in time to start loop # 39. He and the woman who won are both animals!
My take-aways:
550’ gain per loop on trails is no joke
what goes up also goes down and the downs are killers
camp placement near start corral is important
have a long game mindset
should have never run loop faster than 55-57 minutes=walk it when you can
take water with you as 50 minutes is too long to be without
take food with you as 50 minutes is too long to be without
the rest gained from a sub 50’ lap is not worth it=too many matches burned
you can use the toilet during your loop
I think looking back, I should have not run as fast as I did. My quads were trashed. I was actually wanting to continue to climb hills just so I didn’t have to run anymore. The loop we were on could not be walked in 60’. My head lamp was subpar for technical rocky and rooted trails at night so I used a flashlight as well. That left me leaving my hand bottle behind during the dark. Looking back, that got me behind on fluids. I should have used a vest. The unraveling came not that long after that once the sun came out and the temp went to 80*F.
I will say, I have done a lot of races, the crew of Race Directors that are WausaUltra are top notch! I would recommend anyone to join them in the future for any type of event they might put on.
That’s my Backyard Ultra experience

Very well done @ktri, amazing job!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://twitter.com/.../1399456777331150857
Quote:
@keithdunn
Chris Roberts crossed the start line to begin the 57th yard, stopped, shook hands with Steve Slaby, then dropped. Steve has to complete the yard within the hour to win the #CapitalBackyardUltra.

Steve Slaby is the last person standing and the winner of the 2021 #CapitalBackyardUltra, earning a golden ticket to the #BigDogUltra this October.

That's two whole days plus almost another half-day

Also, in the final two, one had a full crew, the other did not [spoiler - the crew won]

Quote Reply

Prev Next