Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: March Fish Madness [Optimal_Adrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WOW!!

well, first off, Happy Birthday and welcome to the 40s...

Its a great age I think. Been my best decade so far. The highs have been higher and the lows def lower but its been overall, a great decade. I wish the same for you.

As for growing up swimming in a brutal time... yeah, my hs coach (loved him) was basically Bobby Knight in the form of a HS swim coach. Just... everything and I mean everything was bonkers hard. Save for warm up, we were being drilled. And I also have had the same feeling as you when it comes to tri swimming but that power, without training it, faded on me so Im trying like hell to get it back

That was a hard set no??? That first 50, to me, was the hardest. Coming off 4 x 25 max (so limited breathing) and into that 50... OOOOOF... but great work on one helluva round. We took a slow 300 between each. But once on the wall, we went on the next top. Which after round 1 was only like 14 seconds. But waiting another minute was just wasteful

Glad you tried it and thanks for the feedback. Keep at it. Who knows, maybe we will meet up at a masters meet one day. Would be fun

daved

http://www.theundergroundcoach.com
Quote Reply
Re: March Fish Madness [Optimal_Adrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
25+ and 54+ are some pretty sweet times in workout from a push, you might still have a 49+ in you at a meet shaved and tapered!! You guys are rocking it right now, and I love it because there is nothing on the line except ST bragging rights!! I got my last swim in the meter pool today, they are closing down for the weekend because of a fair going on. But I had 4 good ones here, so will do some nice running the next couple days. And finally getting used to the different pool length, did the same set as when I arrived, but quite a bit faster:

10x100-7swim@1;50(1;35 to 1;26)3IM kick@2;20(2;05 to 1;57)
5x(100IM @2;00/200p@3;10) IM's(1;31/31/31/31/29) pulls(2;39/40/40/39/39) 100 easy kick
8x50 buoy@;50(43/41's) 100IM kick
3100SCM in 56 minutes

Dropped about 5 to 10 seconds off the 200's this time around, and held a good set of IM's. Figure 10 seconds difference in the IM"s to SCY and about 7 for the free..
Quote Reply
Re: March Fish Madness [daved] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried your set today. I had to take a DNF due to leg cramps. Got in two rounds before I tapped. The 100s were brutal I did 108 and 109. I was probably out in 31/32 but the second 50 I was too gassed to give anything. Third round I pushed for the first 25 and quad locked up tight and wouldn’t loosen. Took several minutes and some easy breast kick to stretch it out and then the hamstring in the other leg locked up and I called it quits. 600 yards of sprinting is probably my max right now. I usually would do 4 50s and a round of 25s when I do speed work so 2 rounds is enough for now.
Quote Reply
Re: March Fish Madness [Abergili] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice work!!! Thanks for trying it!

And thanks for sharing.
It is def a lactate tolerance type of set. Gotta still push when the bod is screaming not to!

I’m hopeful for a second go at this one Thursday. Will keep the thread posted!

All the best,

Daved

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will see how we go next week w my second shot. I might need a week off. But... hoping NOT at this point.
Would be fun to try at a meet or nats. I’ll keep this in mind. When is nats and where? (Assuming it happens) //

Ya, that 2 minute barrier is going to be a tough one, but an achievable one I bet. The track you are on, and your buddy who will always be your carrot, are a good combination for getting that endurance type speed. Nationals are in NC the 3rd week of July, I think at the Greensboro pool where NCAA's are being held now? So if they are having that meet, I would imagine late July with a pool full of old folks all vaccinated, should probably happen.

They said they are going to limit the number of swimmers too, so probably get in a super early entry just in case. And they are adding an extra day(I think 5 now) so it will be great to not have to do 3+ events in a day. I will keep this thread posted, and perhaps we can buddy up at the host hotel, or AirB&B...
Quote Reply
Re: March Fish Madness [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love it Monty!!

I’ll keep this in mind and will watch for updates and reg info.

Local masters coach was asking about a June outdoor meet over a couple days at the pool I’ve been swimming in. So would be nice to try a couple meets.

Haven’t been motivated for that in a loooong time.

Second vax shot today. Arm already on fire. Ha. Hope I manage this ok.

Daved

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6.8 mi run 64:50, 1600m easy swim, full body lifting

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would be great to get a meet in June, or before even. I have been emailing the Mission Viejo folks to try and sneak into one of their monthly meets, but so far it is just for their own team. They get all the necessary permits for a real meet, but then just limit it to 40 of their own swimmers. And they are a big team, so they fill 40 pretty easily. Glad you got your 2nd shot, we just got told here in CA that over 50 get to go April 1st, then everyone else April 15th. So we are on good track to get that herd immunity that everyone is chasing at the moment. And just last week we opened up to the lowest level of business openings..

Got back home yesterday, but only ran one easy run over the weekend. Got to my usual hot and higher pool, but felt really good, maybe because of the yards vs meters? Anyway felt good in warm up, hot pools have that one advantage, little to no real swimming needed to warm up the muscles. But dam, I was gasping on the same set I did twice in AZ, the thinner air is really a killer. SO adjusted it just a bit, took a tiny bit of extra rest on last set, and went for and got a new workout PR for my 100 IM..

10x100-5s@1;40(1;25 to 1;18)5IM kick@2;00(1;51/50/49/46/43)
5x(200p @3;00, or 200IM kick@4;30/100IM hard@2;00) pulls(2;27/2;24/2;28) kicks(3;49/3;45) IM's(1;20/19/18/22/1;14+ new PR)
2x(100IM kickeasy/200p) pulls-2;34/2;28)
3100SCY in 59 minutes

Took an extra minute before last IM to cool down and get HR somewhat in check. Very happy as 1;16 was best workout time before, so skipped 1;15's! Slowly bu surely, still thinking maybe a 1;08+ could be in the cards on big meet day...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3300 SCY
1200 (16:45)/3x100k on 2:15
8x100P on 1:30 (1:15-7)/4x50k on 1:15
8x50 on 50 (37-8)/8x25 on 30 (18s)
200P long strokes/stretch out
First shot Friday and second on April 30

Monty, your IM times are really fast now. What do you think you could do for 200IM in a meet?
Quote Reply
Re: March Fish Madness [PowerPlay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good news getting in line for your shots!! You will be good to go for nationals in July now..

200IM is probably my sweet spot, not a tru sprinter, and the 400 has just gotten so dam hard at our age now. Virtually every 400 I can remember, I was able to cruise the 100 fly at maybe 5 to 7 seconds over my best 100 at the time. Now that kind of time requires a huge effort to do, and of course that is the kiss of death in a 400 IM, so not sure what to make of that.

Old formula for me was to double my 100 and add 10 seconds. Seems over the years I have to add just a tiny bit more as I age, so maybe 12 to 14 seconds now? So if I can do a 1;08 or there about, then that puts me right at 2;30 lows, maybe on a super day in a fast pool, just under. Right now doing that 1;14+ puts me right at the 200 tt IM I did awhile back at 2;40(double + 10 seconds). But I think if I can feel like today, I could perhaps knock a second or two off that 200 time, will maybe try it on Wednesday the next time I swim. And thanks, I do feel really good on IM swims lately, been working on all the strokes, especially the fly and breast..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NICE SWIMMING MONTY!

wow. I am 100% not doing an IM at nats.. haha.
Yeah that second shot was a doozy.. i was on my azz all day yesterday and still not 100% today. Fatigue and aches... It quite intense so prepare yourself for it when you get it.

I think I am a lifetime member of usa masters and new england but Ill need to double check. I have not heard anything further on the june meet... I think it would be a very chill sort of thing though. Like .. ok who wants to do the 50 free now? ok now who wants to do the 2IM now... like that.But at least its a starting block and a timing system.

Will keep you posted.
As for thursday this week, I am not sure its gonna happen. My shoulder is so tender and sore and being down for 3 days now, I am not sure it would be super smart to just dive back in and hammer. I may go swim w my buddy on thursday but I am not sold I will go super hard during the set. I would have to wake up a different man tomorrow to even consider a thursday effort.

Where are you swimming? And at what altitude? I thought you were a socal guy?

daved

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a 1:08/2:24 at a swim meet pre pandemic. The 100 was the last event so it was a tired swim. Pretty sure you would be at least under 2:28 right now. In workout I do a hard 200 pretty close to the meet and my rule of thumb is to deduct 16 seconds to arrive at my meet time. Its hard to test that when there are no meets! I saw MVN went with another inter squad meet first weekend in May. Maybe I’ll do the HB pier swim in June and the Newport pier to pier in July. Getting my first shot April 1. edit for typo
Last edited by: Abergili: Mar 30, 21 10:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Posting this since I'm sure we'll have a new thread tomorrow.

Yesterday's swim:

300 warmup
8x50 drill
2x800 aerobic effort on 10:15
3x300 pull, paddles + ankle band on 4:00
4x100 cruise/get feel back after paddles

3600 scy

+ 4.5mi run easy with strides at the end

Tomorrow's swim: mostly easy, going to try out a pair of AquaKnuckles. Friday will include a hard 1650 as part of a virtual Olympic tri over the weekend.

-----
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a 1:08/2:24 at a swim meet pre pandemic. The 100 was the last event so it was a tired swim.//

Ya, looks like you probably would have been 1;07 at least, double and add 10 seconds, and there is your 2;24!! Dropping 16 seconds from a workout TT and a meet for a 200, not usually in the cards for me, more of a workout swimmer I suppose. Maybe 8 to 10 at most. With the 200 IM in mind, I did this set today doing broken 200's, just getting a feel for going fast in each stroke. I will bring that interval down from 1;10 to a minute, probably more of a template for an actual race situation:

10x100-5swim@1;40(1;26 to 1;19)5IM kick@2;10(1;58 to 1;43)
3x(200p@3;10/broken 200IM 50's@1;10/100IM kick@2;10) pulls-2;30/2;29/2;32) IM's(36/40/42/33-2;31/34/39/41/32--2;26/33/38/41/32--2;24)
5x100p easy descend@1;30(1;16/14/12/11/09) 100 easy kick
3100SCY in 60 minutes

I would like to think I could do the last swim as a race, but I think a minute interval will get me closer to an actual possible time. But of course I could just get faster and faster and it can all change!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello All,

I dont post swim daily swim workouts but today's was a good main set and thought I would share;

IM DAY

Warmup
300 = 4 x (50 free, 25 reverse IM )
4 x 125 reverse IM order 25 kick, 50 drill, 50 swim

Main Set
9 x (4 x 25 on :30, 2 x 50 IM switch on :55, 100 IM on 1:50)
rounds 1, 4, 7 Fly
2, 5, 8 Back
3, 6, 9 Breast

Pull
2 x (4 x 50, 2 x 100, 200) on 1:30/100 base smooth
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quick update and a final march fishie post I assume...

Well, covid strikes again, but this time in the form of a second moderna shot. HOLY HELL it is awful.
Shot was sunday.
Did nothing for 2 days. And not bc i wanted to do nothing but actually doing anything was just not possible.

Did a swim /ride yesterday. But my nearly 2 hour ride was at an average of 89 watts. And that was literally all i could muster. So...

I did do the second set of what we did last week, but I only just swam through it. Though, I did add some tempo and energy to a few of my swims.

MyMainSet: (for those not following along)
Three times through:
4 x 25 max sprint on :45
2x 50 max sprint on 1:30
100 MAX sprint
easy 300
The first round of 25s I did no breath and was at 15 strokes doing 15 seconds. And it was easy. But I could tell the body just was not gonna do too much more.
On the first 2 x 50 i really backed off and was 34 on each. Just cruising and the first 100 was 1:05 (kinda shocked actually)

Second round I was the same on the 25s and thought I could maybe do more on the 50s. So I did on the first one and it cost me bc HR elevated and would not go back down. I hit 31. The next 50 it got interesting. I totally backed off. I refocused on keeping my weight appropriately placed and eliminated "stress" from my system. 3 breaths total and 33 seconds. It was so easy.

The last round i had to totally switch off bc i could feel the fatigue from the shot.

I got out and filmed my buddy eric doing his last 100. He pushed a 52. I will see if I can upload it.. .maybe to april fish thread.

Bummed I couldn't push today. But super happy I got in and am keeping my feel for the water and some speed.

Ok all for now.

I think I have my buddy psyched for nats, he has done mostly open water for the past decade so pool swimming is interesting to him esp after the work we are doing. Ill keep watching that site for more info.

All the best guys,
Happy April Fools today... dont be a sucker.

DaveD

Quote Reply

Prev Next