Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Worth it to upgrade smart trainer? [myjunk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honestly have not even thought of max watts/ gradient items; I have still not cracked the code on sprinting on a trainer, maybe 1 day. I was more looking at the larger fly wheel/ road feel that people talk about.
Quote Reply
Re: Worth it to upgrade smart trainer? [Eroc43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eroc43 wrote:
Honestly have not even thought of max watts/ gradient items; I have still not cracked the code on sprinting on a trainer, maybe 1 day. I was more looking at the larger fly wheel/ road feel that people talk about.

possibly you need a rocker plate :-p
Quote Reply
Re: Worth it to upgrade smart trainer? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so my 18 year old Kreitler rollers is like going behind the dumpster without even asking the tweakers to leave?

I love em and can't kill em; so onward I roll.

Great things never come from comfort zones.
Quote Reply
Re: Worth it to upgrade smart trainer? [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nightfend wrote:
Biggest difference is going from a wheel on trainer to a direct drive trainer. But, since you started with a direct-drive trainer, there are only small marginal improvements like better power accuracy and maybe durability. But if I were you, I'd run the trainer you have into the ground and then at that point you can always consider a higher-end trainer like a Tacx Neo or Kickr or whatever.

This. Look for other improvements, like a rocker plate. Maybe automation in your pain cave (voice controlled fans, lights, etc.). Consider what you really want, if in Wahoo world, are you going to want the Climb, Headwind, etc..

Get your money's worth out of your current trainer. Save your pennies and when ready, jump in. Also you may even decide to go the Exercise bike route instead of a trainer. Maybe you want a dedicated bike for your trainer.... Lots of options. Use what you have and make sure everything around it is good. Then consider upgrading the trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: Worth it to upgrade smart trainer? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

wheel-on dumb trainer? or is that a finger and a tree leaf?

I've been using a Kurt Kinetic wheel-on dumb trainer for the past 4 years and do most of my cycling indoors. How noticeable would an upgrade to a ~$500 smart trainer be?

Also, this thread makes me feel bullied. Please lock.
Last edited by: PomDad: Mar 4, 21 10:58
Quote Reply
Re: Worth it to upgrade smart trainer? [PomDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PomDad wrote:
I've been using a Kurt Kinetic wheel-on dumb trainer for the past 4 years and do most of my cycling indoors. How noticeable would an upgrade to a ~$500 smart trainer be?
I went from a KK Road Machine to a KICKR. I love the feel of the KKRM, and I will always fondly think of that as the gold standard for road feel and value. The massive plus to a smart trainer is ability to let the training program run the workout while you mentally check out. That alone dramatically improves the quality and effectiveness of my workout time. And, smart trainers let you ride simulations like on Rouvy and Zwift. Those are pretty cool and motivating for a lot of folks.
Quote Reply
Re: Worth it to upgrade smart trainer? [PomDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PomDad wrote:
Slowman wrote:

wheel-on dumb trainer? or is that a finger and a tree leaf?

Also, this thread makes me feel bullied. Please lock.

in an effort to un-micro-aggress you, yeah, you'll notice a big fat difference. however - and this is where i may differ from some of my colleagues - i would figure out a way to get myself into a direct drive trainer. anything is fine. elite, saris, wahoo, tacx. hunt around until you find one of these that's direct drive. sometimes you see older trainers, factory blems, whatever, for $700 and change. that's my counsel.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply

Prev Next