Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What world do I live in??? [velocomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reality and truth are now considered liabilities in the GOP

GOP Pollster Frank Luntz:

“A Quinnipiac poll showed 76% of self-identified Republicans believed there was widespread fraud in the 2020 election and Trump won. Telling the truth (telling the voters they have been lied to) is simply out of the question for most elected Republicans.”
Quote Reply
Re: What world do I live in??? [Nutella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nutella wrote:
Reality and truth are now considered liabilities in the GOP

GOP Pollster Frank Luntz:

“A Quinnipiac poll showed 76% of self-identified Republicans believed there was widespread fraud in the 2020 election and Trump won. Telling the truth (telling the voters they have been lied to) is simply out of the question for most elected Republicans.”

Haven’t we seen what happens when Republicans tell their constituents that they’ve been lied to? I’m not sure that matters anymore. I’m not convinced Trump himself wouldn’t become fake news if he “told them the truth.” It’s the constituents driving the bus.
Quote Reply
Re: What world do I live in??? [CallMeMaybe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes the stage is being set. In the end, each state will have determined their rules. Hopefully in a timely fashion to allow for living within the those rules. Fight the fight to prevent unfairness and restrictions, but in the end the more important and better fight is to live within the rules, find all your voters and maximise your efforts to get them to restricted polling places with restricted dates. The voting restricting knife is known to cut both ways.
Quote Reply
Re: What world do I live in??? [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
gofigure wrote:
BLeP wrote:
The hard core voters will vote regardless of how hard it is to vote.

They know that. So they want to make it harder in general. This will get people who don’t care as much to not vote. They think that this will benefit them.

Regardless of all the BS Republican moves to restrict, make harder, less fair and less free our elections in order to maintain minority rule and power, there is no turning back. The citizenry has been awakened. He has attended the class, he knows what is expected of him, knows how to register, knows who isn't registered, is engaged and can not nor will not be denied his vote.

The fight will be fought by the right to restrict, but they can only go so far. Once the rules are set, democrats need to quit crying in their beers. If there is a will to vote, the way to vote will be found by eligible voters.

No fraud, no steal, all legal and all mad as hell.

This is very naive.

For example lets say 2022 a Republican wins the Governorship of Wisconsin. They then pass a law that the state's electoral college electors will be decided by the state legislature. So now 2024, no matter how many Democrats vote, the Wisconsin EC electors are going to Democrats. Sure you say, well Democrats simply need to win the legislature then. But Democrats can't win the legislature, even if Democrats make up 60% of the voters, because of the strong gerrymandering in the state.

How about this example, following the Civil War, the 43 Congress had over 10 Black men. When was the next congress with 10 Black men? The 93rd. That is how well the suppression works.

The fact is that it is very possible to maintain control of the government with a minority of voters. Possibly a very small minority.

You are also not figuring even if Democrats win, that violence (like January 6th, but worse) could be used to nullify the win. The US has a deep history of the losers violently overthrowing the winners and then the losers assuming power.

I hope you are right, but it is silly to think simply having more votes is going to fix an issue.

With each reading I appreciate more fully your arguments on minority rule. Your Wi example above assumes worst case and require a complicit judiciary ruling against our core democratic principle-voting rights! I know I would feel most comfortable to go to court in this instance if I had a squeaky clean house and all my voters were in compliance with even the most restrictive rules.

Naivety or pragmatism? Minority rule correction amending our constitution or getting out the vote regardless of restrictions? I'll go with the the easier fight and the proactive latter. And, God help us if 06 Jan was not a one off.

Ruth Marcus had a very good Oped in today's Post on this very subject. Also, I just listened to Chris Wallace's interview of Sen. Scott on the subject of Georgia's (?) efforts to halt/restrict voting on Sunday. Talk about a waffle, uncomfortable deflection response. The moral high ground is not on the side of the voting restricters.

The winning hand to be played is simply to put resources, people and money, clone 49 Stacey Abrams's and vote your side in. Effective voter suppression in Jim Crow times was an effective strategy, It is still a strategy, but today it can be overwhelmed such that it is not effective. Just look at Fla and the voters referendum to allow ex felons the right to vote. The pubs in that states' legislature nitpicked the referendum with legislation to include the provision to deny the vote until all fines fees were paid off. In response folks just said play your silly games and then made efforts to find those ex-felons and come up with monies to pay off their debts.

Thread derail apologies to Velocomp and this very significant topic of what it means to be a republican going forward.
Quote Reply
Re: What world do I live in??? [gofigure] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t know enough of the history of voting restrictions to say that they cut both ways.

It’s not good enough to say that each state will determine their rules, and we will simply have to live within those rules. The rules themselves need to be fair.

Here’s what I know: the MT GOP legislature has a bill that prohibits the mailing of ballots to Post Office boxes. It’s hard to imagine why a locked PO Box is less secure than a mail box at the end of a driveway, but whatever.

Many houses on reservations don’t have traditional addresses, so the post office doesn’t deliver mail to them. Instead, mail goes to PO Boxes. So, by limiting ballot mail delivery to houses only, the MT GOP is eliminating vote-by-mail for many people on reservations. Similarly, voter ID laws that require street addresses, instead of PO Boxes, also unfairly impact native voters.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Re: What world do I live in??? [CallMeMaybe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All's I got is the need to show initiative and work around whatever the impediment. However unfair the impediment and however it is directed, I know they can not prevent the native american from becoming registered and then prevent them from dropping a ballot in the box to be counted. If PACs can generate millions in donations to employ PR firms, media producers, pollsters , elaborate Nazi themed stages for conventions and lawyers to fight the fight, one might reasonably think we can find some leprechauns to siphon off some of the pot of gold to buy some folks to help register and transport voters.

Failing to reach fair then Fuck fair and just work around the unfair.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
“Your Wi example above assumes worst case and require a complicit judiciary ruling against our core democratic principle-voting rights!”

I need to keep using MT as an example because I follow the news there. The newly elected MT legislature is GOP controlled. Additionally, MT just elected a GOP Governor

This legislative session, the MT GOP is introducing legislation to change voting laws and how judges are appointed. The current judicial appointment system was developed at the state’s 1972 constitutional convention when they re-wrote the state’s constitution and developed laws to establish checks and balances within state government.

Currently, a bipartisan judicial appointment committee selects a pool of approved judges and the Governor makes his appointments from the pool. The proposed legislation would allow the governor to appoint anyone, with the legislature having 30 days (or something) to object. You can see how this proposed law significantly changes the independence and autonomy of the judiciary.

I don’t think we can sit back and assume that the strength of the judiciary is unchallenged.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gofigure wrote:
Failing to reach fair then Fuck fair and just work around the unfair.

I absolutely reject “work around unfair.” It takes time, effort, and money to work around unfair rules using legal means. People who work low-paying jobs do not have spare time, effort and money. More affluent people can reach out and try to assist, but that’s not solving the core problem. Instead of a single vote being the product of one person’s determined attitude, the vote becomes the product of 20 people’s determined attitudes. If 5 people get lazy or busy with other things, the vote is lost. It’s most efficient to place the effort of the 20 to fix the laws for all voters.

Obviously, we’re not going to work around unfair laws by illegal means. When work-around are used, it creates a question of illegality. Is it illegal to drive someone to vote? What if an organization pays for the gas to drive people to vote? What if they also pay for the person’s time to drive people to vote? What if it’s a church who has volunteers who drive the church’s car for taking people to vote?

I’m massively in favor of initiative. I hope the people who have spare time, effort and money stay attentive now and communicate with friends and law makers now to make certain we’re working toward efficient, inclusive voting laws.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gofigure wrote:
chaparral wrote:
gofigure wrote:
BLeP wrote:
The hard core voters will vote regardless of how hard it is to vote.

They know that. So they want to make it harder in general. This will get people who don’t care as much to not vote. They think that this will benefit them.

Regardless of all the BS Republican moves to restrict, make harder, less fair and less free our elections in order to maintain minority rule and power, there is no turning back. The citizenry has been awakened. He has attended the class, he knows what is expected of him, knows how to register, knows who isn't registered, is engaged and can not nor will not be denied his vote.

The fight will be fought by the right to restrict, but they can only go so far. Once the rules are set, democrats need to quit crying in their beers. If there is a will to vote, the way to vote will be found by eligible voters.

No fraud, no steal, all legal and all mad as hell.

This is very naive.

For example lets say 2022 a Republican wins the Governorship of Wisconsin. They then pass a law that the state's electoral college electors will be decided by the state legislature. So now 2024, no matter how many Democrats vote, the Wisconsin EC electors are going to Democrats. Sure you say, well Democrats simply need to win the legislature then. But Democrats can't win the legislature, even if Democrats make up 60% of the voters, because of the strong gerrymandering in the state.

How about this example, following the Civil War, the 43 Congress had over 10 Black men. When was the next congress with 10 Black men? The 93rd. That is how well the suppression works.

The fact is that it is very possible to maintain control of the government with a minority of voters. Possibly a very small minority.

You are also not figuring even if Democrats win, that violence (like January 6th, but worse) could be used to nullify the win. The US has a deep history of the losers violently overthrowing the winners and then the losers assuming power.

I hope you are right, but it is silly to think simply having more votes is going to fix an issue.

With each reading I appreciate more fully your arguments on minority rule. Your Wi example above assumes worst case and require a complicit judiciary ruling against our core democratic principle-voting rights! I know I would feel most comfortable to go to court in this instance if I had a squeaky clean house and all my voters were in compliance with even the most restrictive rules.

Naivety or pragmatism? Minority rule correction amending our constitution or getting out the vote regardless of restrictions? I'll go with the the easier fight and the proactive latter. And, God help us if 06 Jan was not a one off.

Ruth Marcus had a very good Oped in today's Post on this very subject. Also, I just listened to Chris Wallace's interview of Sen. Scott on the subject of Georgia's (?) efforts to halt/restrict voting on Sunday. Talk about a waffle, uncomfortable deflection response. The moral high ground is not on the side of the voting restricters.

The winning hand to be played is simply to put resources, people and money, clone 49 Stacey Abrams's and vote your side in. Effective voter suppression in Jim Crow times was an effective strategy, It is still a strategy, but today it can be overwhelmed such that it is not effective. Just look at Fla and the voters referendum to allow ex felons the right to vote. The pubs in that states' legislature nitpicked the referendum with legislation to include the provision to deny the vote until all fines fees were paid off. In response folks just said play your silly games and then made efforts to find those ex-felons and come up with monies to pay off their debts.

Thread derail apologies to Velocomp and this very significant topic of what it means to be a republican going forward.

Why would my example of Wisconsin changing how they assign EC electors require a complicit judiciary? The constitution totally allows that. As evidence, that is how many states used to do it for the first presidential elections. Why would it be illegal when there is so much precedence of it happening? Do you think originalist judges would not point out that assigning electors like that was something the founding fathers actually did? It feels wrong, but the courts couldn't stop it. Which once again show the terrible system that is the EC. The EC is bomb ready to go off and absolutely blow up the country. It is flawed well beyond most people want to acknowledge.

I agree that people would hate it and be upset. It would be incredibly dangerous and damaging to the country. It is critical to have consent of the governed to have a functioning country. And these minority rule tactics ruin that consent. But Republicans don't care if they fundamentally undermine our system, as long as they are still in power. That is why some Republicans in Arizona are proposing doing exactly what I said Wisconsin could do.

The fact is that for a democracy to function the losing party needs to change their policies or behavior to appeal to wider number of voters. That is how it has to work. But Republicans are not doing that, instead they are going to use every voter suppression technique they have, possibly including violence, to stay in power. That is a very dangerous thing and you should not dismiss it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
velocomp wrote:
1. I have no party.

I suspect this is the case because I tend to believe this is the case for most people that are open minded.

I think politics in this country have been boiled down to three groups.

Group one is so embedded into "Their side winning" mentality that nearly nothing matters other than that. These people are the ones that are so easily manipulated into thinking "X" conspiracy or "Y" group is out to get me simply because you only need to show that "they" are against "Your side" winning. This, IMO, is largely a matter of ego. People end up invested in a party because at one time that part did support something they supported and they wanted that something and fought for that something. That "Something" ends up becoming representative of the party and somewhere their ego's have attached them not supporting the party as them admitting they where wrong...lots and lots of people do not want to do that.

Group two are all the people that are simply voting for the "Best of the bad options". These people don't necessarily support the party as much as believe the other party is worse.

The third group are people that have no party because they look at the two parties and see less from both parties that they want to support than they do want to support and realize voting for the "Best ot the bad options" is still a vote AGAINST what they think is right.

In my opinion there isn't much of a difference between group two and group three. These groups tend to be open minded and realistic about their party. One believes the "Don't throw your vote away" mentality while the other doesn't.

It's the first group that ends up being "The base" and thus the ones most catered two by each party.

You see this on both sides. "Trump Madness" on the right and "Bernie Madness" on the left.

I'd like to think that the more rational on the left would easily understand that "Health care for all", "Welfare with no requirements", "Continually increasing Minimum wages", "Unlimited immigration with instant access to all the afore mentioned benefits", "School loan, house loan, debt cancelation" "Unlimited at all levels public education" and on and on is unsustainable. However talk to the base on the left and they believe that indeed not only is this sustainable but easily done and absolutely necessary.

I'd like to think the more rational on the right understand you can't have 700B dollar defense spending, Social Security, "Keep everyone that is not white and protestant out of the country and away from my jobs", "Everything should be made in Merca'", "No taxes" and on and on. However talk the base on the right and that indeed not only is this sustainable but easily done and absolutely necessary.

For what it's worth I've been without a party since I really started paying attention to politics almost 30 years ago now. It does not take a super genius to look at the trajectory of the country over the last 70 years and realize the two parties that people are voting for are really fucking things up.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Re: What world do I live in??? [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
gofigure wrote:
The voting restricting knife is known to cut both ways.

No, it isn't.

If you look back historically in the U.S., voting restrictions almost exclusively have a racial motivation, usually linked to the South as well. That's why the pre-clearance in the Voting Rights Act was a big deal. A lot of it today is under the legal guise of various ID requirements, but it's the same motivation as the illegal stuff in the past (poll taxes, intimidation, etc).

I'll let a lot of false equivalence go around here, but not this.

Currently in the state of Georgia,

As evidenced by records of past votes cast via the alternate paths of no excuse absentee, Sunday voting, early voting, etc., the current restricting efforts being pursued in the state of Georgia effect rich well off suburban rural republicans as well as urban democrats. That is fact. I am not trying to provide false equivalence and I do not deny the history and continuance of some efforts that are minority targeted. I only contend Just that some of the more broad restricting efforts can restrict all voters.

I am trying to define a subtle difference between restricting and denying with emphasis that outright denial is not happening and as restrictions are near on inevitable under the guise, valid or invalid, to ensure only legal votes are cast, then we should just have to buckle up and work through it.
Quote Reply
Re: What world do I live in??? [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Judicial complicity only as viewed when the US Supreme Court has then weighed in as to the constitutionality. Let's take your imagined but yet realized case to the moot courts in all the law schools of the land, take it as a moot case to all the Federal appeals courts and the Supreme Court and see how they would rule. If ruled in favor, might it then provide the impetus for amending the Constitution?

Acknowledging that I am not a lawyer nor scholar, but that your EC arguments have taken hold.
Quote Reply
Re: What world do I live in??? [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
gofigure wrote:
The voting restricting knife is known to cut both ways.

No, it isn't.

If you look back historically in the U.S., voting restrictions almost exclusively have a racial motivation, usually linked to the South as well. That's why the pre-clearance in the Voting Rights Act was a big deal. A lot of it today is under the legal guise of various ID requirements, but it's the same motivation as the illegal stuff in the past (poll taxes, intimidation, etc).

I'll let a lot of false equivalence go around here, but not this.

The belief that there is "Racial motivation" does not mean that the knife did not cut both ways. Poll taxes and land ownership laws unquestionably disenfranchised poor white voters all across the South and even some Northern states.

To this very day we have voting districts that are so completely Gerry mandered by the party in power that they unquestionably disenfranchise people of all colors and races for the benefit of whatever party is in power.

Disenfranchisement always has been a tool used by those in power to attempt to retain power. Those that get disenfranchised are almost always from the side that does not have power. To the contrary you can also have enfranchisement which are the cases where people that probably should not be voting are in fact voting or it's made easier for them to vote.

One only needs to look at the history of many large cities in the US to see the knife cutting the other way.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Re: What world do I live in??? [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MJuric wrote:
velocomp wrote:
1. I have no party.

I suspect this is the case because I tend to believe this is the case for most people that are open minded.

Group one is so embedded into "Their side winning" mentality that nearly nothing matters other than that. These people are the ones that are so easily manipulated into thinking "X" conspiracy or "Y" group is out to get me simply because you only need to show that "they" are against "Your side" winning. This, IMO, is largely a matter of ego. People end up invested in a party because at one time that part did support something they supported and they wanted that something and fought for that something. That "Something" ends up becoming representative of the party and somewhere their ego's have attached them not supporting the party as them admitting they where wrong...lots and lots of people do not want to do that.

Group two are all the people that are simply voting for the "Best of the bad options". These people don't necessarily support the party as much as believe the other party is worse.

The third group are people that have no party because they look at the two parties and see less from both parties that they want to support than they do want to support and realize voting for the "Best ot the bad options" is still a vote AGAINST what they think is right.

In my opinion there isn't much of a difference between group two and group three. These groups tend to be open minded and realistic about their party. One believes the "Don't throw your vote away" mentality while the other doesn't.

It's the first group that ends up being "The base" and thus the ones most catered two by each party.

You see this on both sides. "Trump Madness" on the right and "Bernie Madness" on the left.

I'd like to think that the more rational on the left would easily understand that "Health care for all", "Welfare with no requirements", "Continually increasing Minimum wages", "Unlimited immigration with instant access to all the afore mentioned benefits", "School loan, house loan, debt cancelation" "Unlimited at all levels public education" and on and on is unsustainable. However talk to the base on the left and they believe that indeed not only is this sustainable but easily done and absolutely necessary.

I'd like to think the more rational on the right understand you can't have 700B dollar defense spending, Social Security, "Keep everyone that is not white and protestant out of the country and away from my jobs", "Everything should be made in Merca'", "No taxes" and on and on. However talk the base on the right and that indeed not only is this sustainable but easily done and absolutely necessary.

For what it's worth I've been without a party since I really started paying attention to politics almost 30 years ago now. It does not take a super genius to look at the trajectory of the country over the last 70 years and realize the two parties that people are voting for are really fucking things up.

There is a fourth group, and I am in it. There are people who like their party (for the most part) and what it stands for, and (mostly) the candidates it supports. I have never voted for a D prez candidate I thought would be lousy. I had some doubts about Dukakis, but he was hardly an idiot. My Congressman (Joe Neguse), my senators, Governor, and Biden/Harris are all pretty good so far, given my values. I am not a reluctant Dem, nor do I need to hold my nose when voting for its candidates.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot of my policy positions align with conservative economy politics. My big issue is that the gop has not actually governed from this platform when they had the chance.

I personally view politics like I do a football team. There is offense and defense only so much money and draft picks.

The gop has been preaching that you need a good defense to win games, grow your own draft picks, don’t over spend on free agents, etc. all things I can agree with. Yet. When they are in power they have been trading all their draft picks for high priced WRs.
Quote Reply
Re: What world do I live in??? [ike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ike wrote:

There is a fourth group, and I am in it. There are people who like their party (for the most part) and what it stands for, and (mostly) the candidates it supports. I have never voted for a D prez candidate I thought would be lousy. I had some doubts about Dukakis, but he was hardly an idiot. My Congressman (Joe Neguse), my senators, Governor, and Biden/Harris are all pretty good so far, given my values. I am not a reluctant Dem, nor do I need to hold my nose when voting for its candidates.

Rightly or wrongly that would put you in the first group. The group that truly believes that what "Their side" is doing is the right thing to do. I don't believe that you have to be a complete zealot to be the "Base" and be in the first group, just so far leaning one direction that you generally agree with the leanings of the party.

Whether you believe in "Most" of what your party is doing and do so knowingly because you actually think that is the right thing or if you're doing so because you simply can't admit it's not the right thing is really difficult if not impossible for anyone to discern except the individuals themselves.
Quote Reply
Re: What world do I live in??? [sosayusall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sosayusall wrote:
A lot of my policy positions align with conservative economy politics. My big issue is that the gop has not actually governed from this platform when they had the chance.

I personally view politics like I do a football team. There is offense and defense only so much money and draft picks.

The gop has been preaching that you need a good defense to win games, grow your own draft picks, don’t over spend on free agents, etc. all things I can agree with. Yet. When they are in power they have been trading all their draft picks for high priced WRs.

I've been arguing that the Rep party has been doomed for decades because of this position of "Fiscal conservatism". Given two sides of an argument and one is "Steal from the rich and give to the poor" and the other is "Spend less money"...the former will eventually win out with most Amercians, in fact most people eventually.

For proof of this all you need to do is look at Federal spending. In just about every metric you can measure it's only been going up since about 1950. If memory recalls since 1941 we've had 4 years were we've actually had a balanced budget. Two of those were in the 40's when we had MASSIVE defense spending cuts after WWII and two of them where during the Clinton administration where we had a historically high revenue into the treasury and a Rep congress.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Allies of Rep. Adam Kinzinger launch super PAC to support Republicans who have bucked Trump

The super PAC is expected to back the 10 House Republicans who voted for impeachment, as well as Sen. Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, who is up for reelection in 2022. The goal is to target donors who would support Republicans such as former House speaker Paul Ryan and Sen. Mitt Romney (Utah) — contributors who want to stay with the GOP but consider Trump noxious.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/...e3c6918a1_story.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MJuric wrote:
ike wrote:

Rightly or wrongly that would put you in the first group. The group that truly believes that what "Their side" is doing is the right thing to do. I don't believe that you have to be a complete zealot to be the "Base" and be in the first group, just so far leaning one direction that you generally agree with the leanings of the party.

Whether you believe in "Most" of what your party is doing and do so knowingly because you actually think that is the right thing or if you're doing so because you simply can't admit it's not the right thing is really difficult if not impossible for anyone to discern except the individuals themselves.

Wrongly — given the way you originally defined the groups. Your redefinition would cover the vast majority of party members, including those who have none of the conspiratorial and other characteristics of your original group one. There are many people for whom a political party, on the whole, fairly well matches their values, but that does not mean they’d mindlessly follow that party when it goes off a cliff. I have never voted for the Democratic equivalent of Trump (not knowingly anyhow), and intend to never do so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MJuric wrote:
velocomp wrote:

1. I have no party.

~Matt

I call bullshit. I don't know where you were, but we just had a series of elections across the country over the past year; Bernie ran on that (more or less), and lost. The Bernie/AOC wing makes a lot of noise and their energy from the further Left may drive a lot of the discussion, but 'The Party' actually spoke up, and it's still in fact being led from the center.

You're correct however that the GOP is being led by the far right fringe, just witness CPAC...
Quote Reply

Prev Next