Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why shouldn’t the minimum wage be adjusted for inflation? [shady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have a sign up on main building celebrating 2 employees who have 50 years with the company. A welder and a manual machinist. They both worked through the covid shutdown and were at work today.

I was 9 on the day they started here.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Why shouldn’t the minimum wage be adjusted for inflation? [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
We have a sign up on main building celebrating 2 employees who have 50 years with the company. A welder and a manual machinist. They both worked through the covid shutdown and were at work today.

I was 9 on the day they started here.

good grief..lol..
amazing!
Quote Reply
Re: Why shouldn’t the minimum wage be adjusted for inflation? [SDG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Therein lies the rub.
When I had my business, my minimum wage I offered was $15/hr for unskilled labor.

I had very few takers. This was 7-8 years ago.

The point is there are already jobs paying more and going unfilled.

I guess it's not as cool to be a construction worker versus a barrista.

Regarding minimum wage, our government has been debating $15 for years and not adjusting the $7.25. It's dissapointing they had an all or none take rather than making some annual adjustment. I guess it would be to easy to tie increases to inflation or an annual percentage.
Last edited by: Bumble Bee: Feb 27, 21 3:07
Quote Reply
Re: Why shouldn’t the minimum wage be adjusted for inflation? [sosayusall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who even works for minimum wage any more? Grocery stores, fast food, every starter level job is already at $10/hour and up. Amazon, not exactly skilled labor, starts at 15 plus awesome (and cheap) health insurance. I just saw that Costco is bumping from 15 to 16. So this whole discussion on minimum wage is a joke.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: Why shouldn’t the minimum wage be adjusted for inflation? [SDG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SDG wrote:
What I find the funniest is people that want a $15 minimum wage even think that is a decent living wage. It's not even close. This is where I differ with my man Bernie.

Who in the hell is supposed to support a family on $15 an hour? That's $28,800 a year before taxes. NO ONE can live a decent life on that.

They should be pushing for a minimum wage of at least $30 an hour. That is about $57,600. Still not squat for trying to support a family but if man and wife are both working then can scratch out a living on $114K combined.

Biden should start by making all government jobs pay at least $30 an hour. Time to get it done.

I'm scared that you're not joking. So if you start eveyone at $30/hour; then the skilled people currently getting $30 will need bumped to $50/hour, the managers currently at $50 will go to $70. Everyones wages go up. You're thinking that's awesome I'll bet. Guess what happens then? Price of everything goes up, and the people who got bumped to $30 won't be able to afford any more than they currently can.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: Why shouldn’t the minimum wage be adjusted for inflation? [Justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think we’re going to extremes here, but there are examples around the world of livable wages being implemented and the cost of goods having relatively insignificant increases. I think the people making that $30-$50/hour range you are talking about are indirectly being held hostage against raising the minimum wage because they fear they won’t be able to afford anything. That’s simply not true and brought to you by our imperial overlords.
Quote Reply

Prev Next