Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Computer nerds lost a loved one today
Quote | Reply
Iconic Fry’s closing all remaining stores.

I remember visiting the OG Sunnyvale store with my pops in the late 80’s so he could get the latest gadgets to keep up with his day-trading. Didn’t know what any of the stuff in the store was then and still don’t! Several years ago we lived right down the street from one and used to go there all the time for random stuff. Hell, I’d stop by just to eat at the cafeteria! It was a ridiculously big store with so much inventory I had no idea how they stayed afloat for so long. Employees outnumbered customers 5 to 1. Over the last few years their shelves became increasingly bare. DOS based POS system to the end. This feels like one you could see coming a mile away. Sad day nonetheless.
Quote Reply
Re: Computer nerds lost a loved one today [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sad. I don't know if it was still open, but the Sacramento store was old and odd. The Roseville store was built recently, after 08, and was railroad themed. I bought a lot of stuff there including a refurb PS3 that's still chugging along 10+ years later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just like many retail stores, Fry's really missed the beat on internet sales. Newegg really put a pinch on them and I am sure Amazon put the nail in their coffin. I bought things from the Fry's, I believe in Chino, back in 07/08. Can't even remember the theme, but many of my PC parts would come from Newegg because they just had much better prices.

Innovate or die
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very random, my dad would also take me to the original sunnyvale store a long time ago. You grow up in silicon valley? Anyway, I just stepped into the IL store just late last year and it was an erie ghost town, 1000s of square feet of space, and completely empty of customers. Downright freaky.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Computer nerds lost a loved one today [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, East Bay. The one here was so empty all of the time I figured it was a money laundering front. Then I read they weren’t paying their vendors until product sold off the floor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To me their website was horrible. It did not seem user friendly. As sales migrate towards internet sales that seemed crazy to me.

I’ve been in two of the stores. The one in Webster (southeast Houston) and one on the north side of Houston. There was a stark difference between the two stores. At the time it appeared to me that the difference was due to store management. The one on the north side was noticeably neater and better stocked. Or at least the stock was better presented.

Nevertheless, I am disappointed.
Quote Reply
Re: Computer nerds lost a loved one today [TooSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, their website was always behind the times. So was their POS system. For being a massive computer parts store that eventually got into audio/video they didn’t seem to care about backend IT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the one in Webster (Houston), TX had entryways that looked like modules from the International Space Station, and they had a full scale ISS mock-up, part of which was the cafeteria.

. http://www.collectspace.com/...s-space-station.html
Last edited by: J_R: Feb 25, 21 9:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
earlier this year I ran into someone who mentioned he had worked at a Radio Shack for many years . . . I started to laugh, he laughed and that's all that needed to be said
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The one in Burbank next me died a slow painful death. It was not pretty. Empty shelves, cheapo Chinese knockoffs of peripherals, etc.

Fun fact - the OG Sunnyvale store was a popular dating site in the dotcom days. They had a cafe inside and on Fridays it was a happening spot!

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply