Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: best bike case [Chefe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're considering the Premier, check out the Alan Aero Easyfit as well. Very similar concept but has a bit more room for less disassembly, has more straps so the bike stays put, also holds 3 wheels if you want, and the weight is on the bottom when you wheel it around (bike is upside down) so it might be easier to handle.

Both of these would be my top picks though. Hard case and handlebars stay on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The best case is the one that makes it easiest for TSA employees to put the bike back in. Period.
I've flown *a lot* with bikes over the last several years, often with more than one bike on the same trip, and every single mishap I have had was the result of TSA re-packing the bike incorrectly or simply not even closing the case/bag all the way because they couldn't get everything back in the way it came out. If you have to sit on the case to get it closed, rest assured TSA won't. If you have to struggle to get the fastex buckles to snap, rest assured TSA won't.

Corollary to this is that - again, IME - TSA can also be counted on to not get everything back in your case if you give them that option. I've lost shoes, tools, sunglasses... a fair bit of stuff. The fewer pieces you have in the box, the less they have to screw up or leave out when they put them back in. If you are going to put extra stuff in the case, put it in a bag inside the case.

Needless to say there is absolutely no recourse when stuff goes missing or gets broken. None at all. Even when I picked up a clamshell hard case from the baggage carousel with the handlebars sticking sticking out the gap between the halves, with the halves taped together and the straps tied in loose granny knots, and one shoe bouncing down the carousel, the other long gone, I was s**t out of luck.

I think the absolute best case is something that you can fit an entire, assembled bike in that zips open and shut. With a big g-damn zipper.

Get as close to that as you can.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: best bike case [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Does anybody have a bag from scicon and tell me somthing about their experiences?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 4-wheeled hard case and it is a PITA in many respects. My new solution is to box the bike, or have it boxed for $30 by my local bike shop. Takes 10 mins to put together on the back end, and can be sent ahead UPS or checked on the airplane as luggage. Easy to fit in car.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it is the Scicon bag that you don'y have to remove your handlebars I have seen two pro bikes bars snapped in transit and multiple others just through posts on social media. Bike bags get thrown or compressed under other bags and bars sticking out the side inevitably break... It may be easy packing and unpacking your bike but I wouldn't risk it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chefe wrote:

Does anybody have a bag from scicon and tell me somthing about their experiences?

I have the Scion Aerocomfort 3.0 Triathlon Travel bag and thus far am quite happy. Because it is soft sided, it is light and I can fit quite a bit of extra things inside and still remain within any weight limits.

When packing, I am quite careful. Although it is not necessary, I remove the RD and chain. I also flip my aero bar extensions back onto the top tube. And, to address the possibility of a lateral force crushing the base-bar (mentioned by another poster), I take a PVC tube that is slightly longer than the base-bar is wide, and strap it across the base-bar. This way, the PVC tube, rather than the base-bar, takes the impact of any lateral force.
Quote Reply
Re: best bike case [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Along these lines, I recently ordered an evoc road bike pro case. Only disassembly is supposed to be pedals. Its very expensive though, and huge, so may not be the easiest thing to travel with.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: best bike case [JasonGeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasonGeorge wrote:
Chefe wrote:

I have the Scion Aerocomfort 3.0 Triathlon Travel bag and thus far am quite happy. Because it is soft sided, it is light and I can fit quite a bit of extra things inside and still remain within any weight limits.

When packing, I am quite careful. Although it is not necessary, I remove the RD and chain. I also flip my aero bar extensions back onto the top tube. And, to address the possibility of a lateral force crushing the base-bar (mentioned by another poster), I take a PVC tube that is slightly longer than the base-bar is wide, and strap it across the base-bar. This way, the PVC tube, rather than the base-bar, takes the impact of any lateral force.

Bought the same case and plan to do something similar.
Friends of mine have been traveling to races for a few years using the Aerocomfort cases (V2 I think) and knock on wood have had zero issues, and they don't do anything extra to reinforce the cases.
Quote Reply
Re: best bike case [JasonGeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought this bag last year, and hope to use it this October for flying out of the country, but did use it to transport my TT bike between states when moving (didn't have rack space). My question is, are you able to fit a second pair of wheels in it? I'd like to be able to bring both my regular wheels and my race wheels when I travel, and I have a padded Profile design wheel bag that can fit a pair of wheels, debating if I could stick that in the Scicon bag as well (I'll be traveling with my road bike, not my TT bike), or if I should just carry that on.
Quote Reply
Re: best bike case [HeartRN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HeartRN wrote:
I bought this bag last year, and hope to use it this October for flying out of the country, but did use it to transport my TT bike between states when moving (didn't have rack space). My question is, are you able to fit a second pair of wheels in it? I'd like to be able to bring both my regular wheels and my race wheels when I travel, and I have a padded Profile design wheel bag that can fit a pair of wheels, debating if I could stick that in the Scicon bag as well (I'll be traveling with my road bike, not my TT bike), or if I should just carry that on.

I have not put a second pair of wheel in my Scicon bag, so can't respond from personal experience. That said, you probably could squeeze a second set in, but I certainly wouldn't suggest doing so. I think that it would be too tight and, being a soft-sided bag, the risk of damage would increase significantly.
Quote Reply
Re: best bike case [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have this EVOC Road Bike Pro bag, I used it for the first time going to Cozumel last year. Loaded full of gear, the weight came in ~65lbs. Not sure if I could get it under 50lbs.

The initial assembly was a huge pain in the ass, the plastic “ribs” were extremely hard to get into their sleeves, after a few uses they did loosen up. I’d suggest wearing those in before TSA has to mess with them... they won’t be as patient getting them all the way inserted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chefe, I have a Bike Box Alan Original. It's hard case with a lot of room for padding (pool koozie sliced down the side like a hotdog bun is the best as it "forms" around almost every part on my Trek SC), both tires (tyres?) tools, slender bike pump, water bottles. . It was $$. But next time you fly just watch out the airplane window on how bags, car seats, cartons of eggs, U235 nuclear core rods, etc.. are tossed around like frisbees. I've flown to races using the Bike Box Alan five times now (including overseas to IM Ireland) with ZERO issues. Okay, it's a big box but it has four caster wheels making is easy to move about an airport or hotel. Make sure your rental car can fit it in the back. And the $75 "oversized althetic item fee" most airlines charge... it's worth it to put your bike in a hard case.

If your $$$$ tribike isn't worth a $$ bike box then you have money to burn.

https://www.bikeboxalan.com/product-category/bba-original/?v=7516fd43adaa
Quote Reply

Prev Next