Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shimano di2 external battery charging issue (help) (update and fix)
Quote | Reply
So I finally got all my di2 parts today and I went to test them before installing on the bike. Nothing. It turns out the battery was dead and when I go to charge it, the charge light comes on orange for about five seconds and then turns off. I got it from ebay and the seller was really nice and just said return it, but he also said he charged it up and even took a picture when it was green and charged. It has sat in my cold garage for three weeks, but otherwise there is no reason the battery or charger would not work.
Any thoughts? I don't have the connector to plug it into my computer. It seems like I might be missing something simple and would rather make it work than send it back.

Chad

Update: So it turns out the battery was not at fault at all. My lesson from this is that when you are playing with a hodgepodge of collected Di2 parts that you bought on the cheap, you have to be prepared to do a lot of troubleshooting

This is how it went. I bought the shimano analysis tool and downloaded etube (version 4.0.3) that lets you plug into the computer and updated all the pieces but it simply would not recognize the battery or battery holder. After a day or so of pulling my hair out I decided to try and download the older version that is available (3.4.5) and see what would happen. Well that version was able to recognize the battery and holder so I was able to update it to the newest version of the firmware. Once updated it started shifting when I pushed the buttons (not yet installed on the bike) Then I plugged it in and opened it up with the newer version and all the components were recognized. So I installed it and went for a ride a couple of hours later and it worked perfectly--for forty minutes. I figured I had not charged the battery enough but when I coasted back home and plugged it in, it would not recognize the derailleur and it said the battery was fully charged. I had to isolate the rear derailleur until it it was recognized and then I overwrote it again until the system recognized everything. At some point it said I should not use all those components together but once reinstalled, I rode on Saturday for nearly three hours without any issues.

And electronic shifting is awesome. On super hilly gravel roads and then paved rollers, being able to shift from the hoods quickly and effortlessly and to shift from the end of the aerobars is exactly as useful as I thought it would be.
Last edited by: cdw: Mar 1, 21 8:00
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano di2 external battery charging issue (help) [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How are you charging it if you don’t have the plug to go into a computer?

The charger has a usb end that can go into a computer and the other end goes i to the junction box and your battery plugs into the junction box.

I’m confused. Regardless, my charger light also isn’t very intuitive. I think a shimano could have done a better job with that.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano di2 external battery charging issue (help) [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The older external BCR 1 battery is removed from the bracket and plugs into a charger. It is not as cool as the internal ones, but I can't do internal on my bike. The external charger just has a regular wall plug. I think you can still connect with a computer using the Junction A, but it won't charge that way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cdw wrote:
I think you can still connect with a computer using the Junction A, but it won't charge that way.

Yep, you can (but you need the internal battery charger SM-BCR2 or the SM-PCE1/02 tool, like you said).

Are you 100% sure everything is connected? These plugs should really snap/pop into place. if you can easily unplug them by gently touching them with your finger then they weren't in correctly.

Normally I would recommend building the bare minimum first, just to make sure that works. If you can still do that, it's worth a shot.
(You would basically connect battery/mount, junction A, 1 shifter and the rear derailleur and that's it)

Also.. depending on the components you have installed, your SM-BMR1 / SM-BMR2 / BM-DN100 battery mount may need a firmware update.. or any of the other components. It's hard to tell without being able to connect it to a computer.

If everything is connected then my first suggestion would be to have a local bike shop hook it up to their computer and install any available updates.

Also #2: you're not mixing 10-speed/11-speed derailleurs or road/mtb derailleurs... right?

BetterShifting.com - Di2 help and guides| BetterShifting Instagram | Terry's Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano di2 external battery charging issue (help) [Di2Terry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
#2 I am not mixing road and mtb derailleurs since I don't even have a front yet. I was going to run the rear for a while until I can afford to buy another piece.

Everything is connected solidly. I just think the battery is not charged or something is not updated, as you mentioned. I have a right shifter hooked up to the battery, the Junction A and the rear but I don't get a light of any kind when I press the button. The seller showed a picture of it being green and charged when he sent it.

I'm just going to have to buy the piece to hook up to etube. is there any advantage to the internal battery charger vs the diagnostic tool?

And thank you for your website. I used it extensively as I began to educate myself on how this voodoo works.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! ;-)

Whether the PCE02 or the BCR2 is the better choice depends...

Neither will ever charge external batteries - Shimano say that's unsafe because the ext. battery mount does not have a temperature sensor.

The SM-BR2 charger does not work properly with E-Tube Project 4.0.3, it'll work perfectly with ETP 3.4.5 though. Shimano will probably fix this some day... I'm not expecting this to happen any time soon.. (will take months / a year).

The SM-PCE02 / 1 will not charge a battery, but they let you do everything a regular bike shop do.

If your battery mount is the SM-BMR1, be aware that this should only be updated using the SM-PCE1 (not 02).
If the mount is the newer SM-BMR2 or BM-DN100 then you should be able to update it using the SM-PCE02 as well (it's just the BMR1 that's a bit off)....
Which battery mount you have can be seen on the battery mount itself. It should be written on it somewhere.. possibly on the tab/lever that locks the battery into place, underneath it or on the other side. I have an SM-BMR1 at home, but am at a friend at the moment - let me know if you can't find it ;-)

I'm not 100% sure you can update the SM-BMR2 / BM-DN100 using the SM-BCR2, I may be able to find that online later ;-)

BetterShifting.com - Di2 help and guides| BetterShifting Instagram | Terry's Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I remember right, my external battery charger does this, but it actually is charging the battery still. Have you tried to just let it charge and then see if it works?
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano di2 external battery charging issue (help) [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I did that last night without any success.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi
I had the same trouble the contacts on the charger were dirty.
Before cleaning the contacts I had too really pop the batteries in hard.
Check the battery contacts also.
JB
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano di2 external battery charging issue (help) (update and fix) [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Update: So it turns out the battery was not at fault at all. My lesson from this is that when you are playing with a hodgepodge of collected Di2 parts that you bought on the cheap, you have to be prepared to do a lot of troubleshooting

This is how it went. I bought the shimano analysis tool and downloaded etube (version 4.0.3) that lets you plug into the computer and updated all the pieces but it simply would not recognize the battery or battery holder. After a day or so of pulling my hair out I decided to try and download the older version that is available (3.4.5) and see what would happen. Well that version was able to recognize the battery and holder so I was able to update it to the newest version of the firmware. Once updated it started shifting when I pushed the buttons (not yet installed on the bike) Then I plugged it in and opened it up with the newer version and all the components were recognized. So I installed it and went for a ride a couple of hours later and it worked perfectly--for forty minutes. I figured I had not charged the battery enough but when I coasted back home and plugged it in, it would not recognize the derailleur and it said the battery was fully charged. I had to isolate the rear derailleur until it it was recognized and then I overwrote it again until the system recognized everything. At some point it said I should not use all those components together but once reinstalled, I rode on Saturday for nearly three hours without any issues.

And electronic shifting is awesome. On super hilly gravel roads and then paved rollers, being able to shift from the hoods quickly and effortlessly and to shift from the end of the aerobars is exactly as useful as I thought it would be.

Chad
Quote Reply