Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM 70.3 Gulf Coast 2021 [dallash] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dallash wrote:
Does anyone know the process if you qualify for 70.3 Championships but already registered for another 70.3 race within a week of the Championship date? Can you defer the conflicting race so you can participate in the Championships? Augusta 70.3 is Sept 26 2021, 8 days after St. George 70.3 Championships.

We're in the same boat. I deferred to Augusta 70.3 from NC 70.3 2020... Then I got a slot to Worlds... I'm just taking the loss and racing in Utah and not in Augusta, despite Augusta always having been a bucket list race for me. But there's no way I'm racing back to back 70.3's a month before my wedding. hah. The future wifey may not agree to go through with the wedding if I do.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Gulf Coast 2021 [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
Augusta always having been a bucket list race for me.
So, you got me super curious about why Augusta has been a bucket list race for you. I have done it a couple times, and I think I checked that box. It has is upsides on the swim and run (great spectator opportunities on both). Oh, and I think it usually has the largest 70.3 field other than the WC. But it is usually insanely hot and the downtown Augusta is almost zombie-apocalypse abandoned.
Last edited by: exxxviii: May 17, 21 15:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a worlds slot and also am signed up for Augusta via deferral from last year's Muncie. I'm going to see if I can defer from Augusta to something. Can't see doing back to back 70.3 races.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Gulf Coast 2021 [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great race minus the run. Solid swim and bike combo but blew the ankle out of front beach around mile 4. Not happy with the very narrow run course, pavement unevenness, and pot holes. Was able to hold it somewhat together to grab a qual spot though very very ugly.....

See y’all in St. George!
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Gulf Coast 2021 [Vols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw the woman who was hit when i was coming to T2 - ambulance was there. She was sitting up in a chair on the side of the road. Bike looked to be ok. So without actually knowing her condition, but seeing her and her bike I am thinking she was ok.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Gulf Coast 2021 [4Ring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did ANYONE get a swim warm up in? I was shocked when they were lining up swimmers at 5:30... I didn’t anticipate that at all. So much so, I legitimately didn’t even get any warmup in, run or swim.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. I’m hesitant to share this, but I always go into the first pool on the right just over the footbridge. I’m always surprised nobody else is doing the same
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Gulf Coast 2021 [4Ring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the update!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope. I just did a lot of physical stuff in the staging area. For me, it was fine. Though I am generally prone to panic-like response early in my swims, I did fine and actually put in one of my fastest swims.

I get why they did not allow a warm-up, given how they did the staging. But, I wish they had. Swim warm-up makes a huge difference for me.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Gulf Coast 2021 [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My thoughts on the race as a first time racer here (but lots of 70.3/140.6's):

Swim: got in line super early (front row) and we were jammed in but that's partly bc no one told us when we were going to have to stop or about the pink ribbons and then there was no backing people up after that. Not a big deal but some organizers/volunteers were a little pissed. was my first ocean race and the swells got me a little seasick and pretty wobbly coming out of the water. I shoulder checked the hotel wall right after the shower. I've got soft feet and some running through the little gravel in the parking lot was a bit rough.

Bike: ride out of town was fine given it was so early. I thought the coned off sections where we had lane changes was done pretty well. Coming off the bridge on the way out was a little bit of a tight squeeze. Aid stations seemed to be running smoothly and volunteers did a great job not to creep out into the road. Traffic got a little dicey around the intersections right before the big lift back at the beach and then as well back along the beach road. Was worried to have people turning in front of me and had a couple close(ish) calls with pedestrians crossing over (likely having NO CLUE what I was doing out there).

Run: that had to be one of the most unappealing run courses I've ever done. Weaving through an apt complex, through a bunch of water park goer traffic, the gravel section through the back storage/dump lot and then the pothole/off camber roadside was just not great. Didn't this course used to go to our through a state park? I'm also glad I wasn't racing someone to the finish line as we circled through & under the building. Imagine that Lionel & Sam finish on this course?!?!

I know I sound pretty negative but it overall wasn't TERRIBLE. I mean, I'm in no hurry to go back but if it fit into a schedule, I'd do it again. I'd spectated this race way back in 2005 and then worked IM Florida 2005-2007 and was a little taken back at how much more developed with area was. Too crowded for my liking might be the main issue.

I also noticed that the finisher hat was generic and I get that's probably a COVID/fear of cancellation issue but still a bummer.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Gulf Coast 2021 [pacco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When Ironman took over the race they moved it over to Edgewater, looped the run course, and took it out of the state park. I did it several times in the early 00s and that state park section was absolutely brutally hot with the sun bouncing off of the sand dunes, asphalt, and no wind - I guess it was prettier, but it was a really hot run. I’d take the current course 10x over that heat.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Gulf Coast 2021 [DashLash] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got my St. George email today. First time for me. I got hit by a car in august 2018 training for Louisville and that put me on the shelf for a while, so I’m pretty happy to qualify.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Gulf Coast 2021 [Vols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's fair. Knowing full well there are numerous challenges surrounding setting up a course, I'd like to think or hope there's a better balance with a scenic run.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Gulf Coast 2021 [pacco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would be kind of neat if they ran people towards/around Alvin's Island and had an inflatable setup at the Full IM Finish chute to run under at maybe 6 miles. Or maybe an aid station to get people thinking about the Full.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Gulf Coast 2021 [TJP_SBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I punched my ticket to the world championship at St George as well. Looking forward to it! Might be fun to get the '21 GC/WC group together for a beer in St George in September!
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Gulf Coast 2021 [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a race in Boulder that has an inflatable slide at the finish.

ST's very own Rob Gray beat me by own second with much better form down the slide.

Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Gulf Coast 2021 [tedtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did anyone get a screenshot of the age group slot allocation for 70.3 Worlds? That section is now gone from the IM website and mobile app it seems.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 Gulf Coast 2021 [tedtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, scroll up to post 154. ;)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah yes! Thanks!
Quote Reply

Prev Next