Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Driveway snow plow defense [jkstevens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkstevens wrote:
windywave wrote:
Oh I can dig it out in half an hour but to do that plus everything else to do a proper job of clearing would take a minimum of an hour
You need to toughen the fuck up you fucking cupcake. Holy shit, the whining in this thread...

I live in the sticks of NH on the outside of a 90 degree corner, wide sweep but is pinched by my lawn coming toward my driveway - lawn is about 16" higher than the road at that point and only about a 2' shoulder. So you wanna talk about a bank? (That's the actual term, by the way.)

Worst I ever see might have been this year, when we got a 2'+ storm back in December. Bank was 8 or 10 feet deep, and pushing 5 feet tall (honey is all of 5'4", and could barely see over, so...).

This normally wouldn't be a problem - I've got a 1-ton Dodge with a 9' Fisher on the front, and with half a load a wood in the dump I could damn near push a house off their foundation.

But, I had blown the front driveshaft at honey's house toward the end of the storm, and needdd to get into my yard to get the spare I had. So, no plow and needed to shovel that bastid.

Now granted, there was two of us there, but it wasn't exactly like there was two of us doing an equitable amount of shoveling. But, she certainly tries and works as hard as she can. Still, we had enough cleared in about 20 minutes to pull honey's truck the yard.

Pretty sure honey would out shovel you without breaking a sweat. Either move somewhere that you don't have to deal with it or hire someone who knows what they're doing and doesn't cry about doing manual labor.

Fuck, this thread is 10 ply...

So you find the snow walls annoying too?
Quote Reply
Re: Driveway snow plow defense [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
jkstevens wrote:
windywave wrote:
Oh I can dig it out in half an hour but to do that plus everything else to do a proper job of clearing would take a minimum of an hour
You need to toughen the fuck up you fucking cupcake. Holy shit, the whining in this thread...

I live in the sticks of NH on the outside of a 90 degree corner, wide sweep but is pinched by my lawn coming toward my driveway - lawn is about 16" higher than the road at that point and only about a 2' shoulder. So you wanna talk about a bank? (That's the actual term, by the way.)

Worst I ever see might have been this year, when we got a 2'+ storm back in December. Bank was 8 or 10 feet deep, and pushing 5 feet tall (honey is all of 5'4", and could barely see over, so...).

This normally wouldn't be a problem - I've got a 1-ton Dodge with a 9' Fisher on the front, and with half a load a wood in the dump I could damn near push a house off their foundation.

But, I had blown the front driveshaft at honey's house toward the end of the storm, and needdd to get into my yard to get the spare I had. So, no plow and needed to shovel that bastid.

Now granted, there was two of us there, but it wasn't exactly like there was two of us doing an equitable amount of shoveling. But, she certainly tries and works as hard as she can. Still, we had enough cleared in about 20 minutes to pull honey's truck the yard.

Pretty sure honey would out shovel you without breaking a sweat. Either move somewhere that you don't have to deal with it or hire someone who knows what they're doing and doesn't cry about doing manual labor.

Fuck, this thread is 10 ply...

So you find the snow walls annoying too?
More aggravating than annoying, but just a fact of life. Stop bitching about the shit that isn't going change (due to physics) and juat take care of it. It isn't that hard. You're not fighting grizzlies for food, here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Driveway snow plow defense [Apollo71] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have these in my area - and they seem to help quite a bit (at least they did, when it used to snow). It also helps to have a 2 stage snowblower. i clear out the driveway, into the street on both sides of the drive, and the mailbox across the street and it takes less than slowman's allotted 30 minutes.

and if i don't have that half hour - i just drive though that beast. a high clearance 4x4 is another fantastic tool

mckenzie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pissed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dat you?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
I'm pissed

I didn't even have to put the truck in 4 wheel drive when we left to get groceries. Getting back in I had since there is just a little rise getting up to the garage.

14 Winters I have been here. The next time I shovel my driveway will be the first. God invented trucks for a reason. Besides, it will be 40+ degrees here weekend after next. Snow will be gone in no time.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Driveway snow plow defense [talking head] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
talking head wrote:
Is on street parking available? Park on the curb directly in front of the driveway so the plow has to swing around wide.

Doesn't that make it worse? Wouldn't that be exactly the same as before, except nw he's got to shovel an extra 6 feet past his driveway?

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Driveway snow plow defense [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
talking head wrote:
Is on street parking available? Park on the curb directly in front of the driveway so the plow has to swing around wide.

Doesn't that make it worse? Wouldn't that be exactly the same as before, except nw he's got to shovel an extra 6 feet past his driveway?

Exactly, I thought of this when he posted it and I saw it live, when I went back to Long Island to clean up the snow. It just gives you more to shovel.

Another stupid idea posted here was to leave the end of your car sticking out into the road. It's a good way to get the rear en of your car taken off on a dark snowy night.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Driveway snow plow defense [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live on Long Island. At least in my neighborhood, I hope the plow drivers get closer to their wives then they did my curb when they are in the bedroom. If they miss plowing their wives by 4 feet there are going to be some unhappy ladies.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
BarryP wrote:
talking head wrote:

Exactly, I thought of this when he posted it and I saw it live, when I went back to Long Island to clean up the snow. It just gives you more to shovel.

It works, and it’s a common technique where I live, an area that averages over 100” of snow a year.

When the plow swings around your vehicle it’s still moving snow but it doesn’t absolutely plug the end of your already shoveled driveway with dense snow that’s peeling right off the curve of the plow. Gives it room to spread out.

Still may have to dig your vehicle out but it doesn’t fill the end of your driveway like a dam.
Last edited by: talking head: Feb 17, 21 10:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
talking head wrote:
Sweeney wrote:
BarryP wrote:
talking head wrote:

It works, and it’s a common technique where I live, an area that averages over 100” of snow a year.

When the plow swings around your vehicle it’s still moving snow but it doesn’t absolutely plug the end of your already shoveled driveway with dense snow that’s peeling right off the curve of the plow. Gives it room to spread out.

Still may have to dig your vehicle out but it doesn’t fill the end of your driveway like a dam.

So you shovel out your now ployed in car instead of your driveway, great!

At my Upstate house there is no parking on the roads all winter because of snow removal. If you tried you move up here, first thing the plowdriver would be blasting on his airhorn at 4 am. Then you'd be plowed in so bad, you wouldn't get it out until spring.

''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
It sucks to finish blowing the driveway and then just as you finish the truck comes by and you now have 2.5 feet of snow in a wall to take care of. Anything I can do to help limit the wall? If it happens at night while sleeping it turns into an ice wall which sucks even more.

Imagine how pissed you'd be if you shoveled.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
talking head wrote:
Sweeney wrote:
BarryP wrote:
talking head wrote:

So you shovel out your now ployed in car instead of your driveway, great!

At my Upstate house there is no parking on the roads all winter because of snow removal. If you tried you move up here, first thing the plowdriver would be blasting on his airhorn at 4 am. Then you'd be plowed in so bad, you wouldn't get it out until spring.

I do not, but assholes who employ this technique do.
If the snow isn’t too deep they can usually gun their vehicle thru it and now egress their somewhat snow free drive since they made the plow go around, hence why they parked on the street in the first place. Otherwise they now only have to dig out the front of their vehicle instead of the entirely snow filled end of their driveway.

Plow drivers could blast their horn all night, this is a technique employed in a city, urban environment not “upstate houses”.

The municipality I live in enforces odd/even parking rules which allow parking on one side of the street depending on the date. Widely ignored, but in a snow emergency they will tow vehicles.

Edit to add: the OP was asking how to avoid a snow filled drive from the plow- I only replied to give an example of how lazy jerks in my neighborhood kinda employ a shady technique to accomplish this- I believe the OP lives in a city and based on his posting history I thought he was probably also the type of person who might be interested in this😉
Last edited by: talking head: Feb 17, 21 12:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
talking head wrote:
Sweeney wrote:
BarryP wrote:
talking head wrote:

I suppose. I put out curb markers when it snows to encourage the plow to come closer to my driveway. I started doing this after one year I noticed that he was drifting toward the other side of the street. I had to dig out 8 feet past my driveway, while my neighbor across the street only had to dig a foot or two. I get the dense heavy stuff no matter what. the difference being whether its at the end of the driveway, or 6 feet past it.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Driveway snow plow defense [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
windywave wrote:
Slowman wrote:
windywave wrote:
Slowman wrote:
windywave wrote:
Slowman wrote:
windywave wrote:
Slowman wrote:
windywave wrote:
It sucks to finish blowing the driveway and then just as you finish the truck comes by and you now have 2.5 feet of snow in a wall to take care of. Anything I can do to help limit the wall? If it happens at night while sleeping it turns into an ice wall which sucks even more.

i think you just presented us with an example of a snowflake. this is life in snow country. you either buy a unimog or a shovel.

I have a shovel. Having a shovel does not eliminate the annoyance of the snow wall.

right. but you asked what you can do to "limit the wall." i guess you could go out and shovel the entire street before the blade gets there, but that requires work and that seems to be the issue here. you could support those who deny climate change, and that help solve your problem, tho it would take awhile before you saw the benefit. even so, once your climate changed you'd just be posting on how to limit the mosquitos.

I have a service that sprays for mosquitoes so that issue is solved

hire a wall boy. like your pool boy or your cabana boy. or, how about calling your mosquito spray service, because they're probably not spraying for mosquitos right now. perfect off-season job for them, removing your snow wall.

See above about the timing issues regarding using a service

well, then, set your alarm clock 30 minutes earlier. dress appropriately.

Have you ever lived somewhere with snow where you had to clear it? I'm guessing no based on that post but I don't know.

south tahoe HS. go mighty vikings. class of 74.

South Tahoe you say? Hmm things are crystallizing

https://nerdist.com/...-listing-mannequins/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn snow berm! My driveway is all clear but on either side, it's now five feet tall and frozen. Yesterday we had warmer weather and lots of melting, but over night everything froze and the driveway is all ice. We came home from swimming and the supermarket today, and when I was unloading the groceries, I was right in-between the two doors when the truck started to slide. I pulled the parking brake that did nothing. I knew it would stop when it hit the road. I jumped in and tried to pull the front door shut but not in time. It hit the frozen berm and got all bent to crap!

I was able to get it so it closes and locks but it's a mess. Hope I can make a cash deal at the body shop!

Quote Reply

Prev Next