Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How are you and how was your week? Dec. 28 edition
Quote | Reply
Tell us about your training, your holiday, or anything else. How are you and how was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Dec. 28 edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I had a bomb blast on Christmas morning to go with my coffee. Crazy way to start the day off.

Actually, it was the worst Christmas I've ever had, but it's over.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Dec. 28 edition [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought of you when I saw that news; I didn't know how close you were to Nashville. So awful.

I'm sorry you had a bad xmas. I hope your family in other states are well; I know there's a child relative having surgery soon.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Dec. 28 edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
goals this week: mental + physical health + bike more!

I award myself A's all the way around. I have 13 days in a row of healthy coping mechanisms, I didn't run at all so I could baby an Achilles niggle (orthopedist appt on Thursday), and I biked a bunch.

s: 24,125 scm (4 swims)
b: 212 mi (4 rides)
r: 0 mi

goals this week: mental and physical health, train in ways that let the achilles continue to heal, be productive at work

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you. My house is 1.8 miles from the bombing site and my work building is only 1.5 blocks. So it was a little jarring, but nothing like the people who lost everything in their apartments or businesses.

I did get to see the kids open my present via FaceTime, so that part was good. The 8 yo is having surgery in early February - she has screws in her hips that are starting to back out so they are going to take them out. Hopefully just in and out with no issues.

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Dec. 28 edition [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironclm-I was thinking of you last week, ironclm, and I'm glad to know you're safe. It must have been such a shock, literally and figuratively. Did you hear, see, or feel anything? Are you able to concentrate, or are you having intrusive memories? I ask because I've also lived through some traumatic or stressful events, and I deal with not flashbacks, persay, but painful and intrusive memories. I can't shake the sounds of traumatic events, especially. I'll keep you and your community in my thoughts, and let us Womens know if we can do anything.

TC-great job! High five!!!!

I missed another workout last week because I was just feeling too fatigued. It's happened a lot recently, prompting a convo with my coach. We're exploring how to sync up my training schedule, exertion, recovery, and fatigue management to get me doing everything I'm 'sposed to. Also, the pool is closed for the eleventy-billionth time this year, but that should get cleared up soon.

M: recovery run (check-diddly-eck!)
Tu: Big gear bike workout and swim strength (checky-doo!)
We: Running speedwork
Thurs: rest!
Fri: bike bike bike
Sa: Local 10k. If this actually happens, it'll be my first actual race since I did this one last year.
Su: long ride.

...There's strength most days too...

Aaaaand happy happy!!!!! We've almost gotten through 2020 y'all!

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Dec. 28 edition [BingTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the high five :-)

Is your pool closed for the new year holiday, or something else? Mine is closed the next two days for the new year's holiday.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
thanks for the high five :-)

Is your pool closed for the new year holiday, or something else? Mine is closed the next two days for the new year's holiday.

Lucky!

We are half way through a four week shutdown. Cases are going down, fingers crossed they don't extend it. I have a birthday swim planned.
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Dec. 28 edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you go over to the Dec. swim thread, look at Dev's post yesterday about no cases being traced back to pools. You might be able to use those findings (he's trying to find the article) to keep yours open. I hope you get your bday swim.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was a massive shutdown - provincewide restrictions. Only immediate households can congregate, mandatory work from home if you can, etc.

The idea was to keep everyone at home, regardless of why they were heading out. I'm cautiously optimistic that four weeks will be enough. Our premier refused to do anything until we almost hit the tipping point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!

I thought I'd sneak back over here, even though I've been talking to many of you in real life for the better part of the year, on our weekly happy hours!

It looks like everyone is doing as well as to be considered through this hellscape of a halfassed lockdown winter so far.

I'm glad you made it out okay from the bombing, CLM. What a sad and sickening event for Nashville.

Excellent job meeting your goals Dr TC!

And another medal given out to Bing for surviving the brutal semester!

Everything here is just humming along. Goodness I don't even remember where I left off here...let's see...

I quit my coach back in September, and have been coaching myself ever since. And you know what? This is the honest to god best I've felt or looked since menopause hit. The first thing I did was give myself dedicated blocks for swim, bike and run. The last time I was in the water was October 1st, our county has completely pooched restrictions and getting any lane time is a process akin to being caller number 7 into your radio station to win concert tickets. The bike block was fun, and coincided with my cycling club's virtual century event. I rode over 400 miles in 14 days, which culminated with a Zwift century with several people from my cycling club. And then I hit the ground running for my run block, by joining a virtual relay race across Europe with friends of mine that live in Europe. We ran from London to Budapest in 21 days and 7 hours, and finished in the top 15 teams!

Right now, I'm training for Rubyman, or RubyAnne as Scheherazade is calling it ;) For my 40th birthday, I'm going to swim 40x100, ride 40 miles, and run 40km. Yes, that's the most lopsided Ironman ever, but IT'S MY PARTY I CAN TRI IF I WANT TO.

And even though I quit working with my coach, I'm full-steam and full-time coaching for my tri team. It's been a surprising pivot this year but it's been exceptionally rewarding and I'm loving every minute of it. We're kicking off a huge base camp block for the team starting next week, which will last until April. I'm looking forward to being exhausted for the first time in a long time :)

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Dec. 28 edition [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm glad you checked in and that things are going well for you! Virtual happy hours are still happening?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
I'm glad you checked in and that things are going well for you! Virtual happy hours are still happening?

Thank you! And yes, we're still going strong on Thursdays at 7pm EST. We're taking a little break for the Eves but we'll be back next week. You should stop by and say hi!

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sliding into this thread to say hello...It's been a while.

I had my knee replacement 4 years ago and still have chronic pain. Have seen several Drs and they shrugged and said it is the best it will be so now I've just accepted I'll always have knee pain. Still better than pre-surgery!

I'm now a walker and will go back to swimming when the pandemic calms down.

For now, I'm walking ~6 days/week. approx 25 miles/week with my long walk going up to 10 miles tomorrow.

Tonight was a Christmas lights walk.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Dec. 28 edition [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi! It is nice to hear from you.

Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Dec. 28 edition [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey! Are you still doing the Thursday things?! Sign me up for at least one during the month of January, when I'm off from classes. Can you send me a link?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey TC, my pool situation is a bit funky. Basically, there are a few sub-par pools around town that I could pay for access to, but they're hot and weird. I also work at a D1 school, so they have two pristine pools, but I have to work around a wonky schedule at the best of times, and pool access is very low priority in the COVID era. All that is to say that over the holidays, the pool is closed for several weeks because of hte academic calendar, but before that it kept closing for a few weeks during the normal year because of virus upticks in the area.

Anyway, swimming is the least of my triathlon concerns, so the disruptions this year are probably not catastrophic for my performance propsects. It's just that swimming is also the funnest for me.

Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Dec. 28 edition [BingTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BingTri wrote:
Hey! Are you still doing the Thursday things?! Sign me up for at least one during the month of January, when I'm off from classes. Can you send me a link?

Same! I have a break in Thursday classes until early April.

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply