Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 52K COVID cases in California today [Jimbotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The CDC says full time school only if numbers are down or you can keep the kids 6 feet apart. Which is basically nowhere.

I can understand the resentment against teachers and once vaccinated they really have no personal excuse. But there is a risk vs reward that is very different for schools compared to healthcare. You can’t do virtual healthcare. In our schools virtual learning has been pretty effective but the teachers are working their butts off to make it as good as possible.
Quote Reply
Re: 52K COVID cases in California today [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thought I would revisit this old thread about CA and Covid, what a difference a couple months make. I did not look this up, but just heard on the news a couple days ago, that CA is now the best state in the nation for new Covid cases, surpassing that island out in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, Hawaii. I knew we had been under the magical 1% infection rate for sometime now, but best in the nation is pretty big news, especially since we are also the largest state.

No doubt a combination of several things, we are vaccinating people at a really fast rate, and most likely a 1/3 of the state already had Covid in some form. Where I live there are still mask mandates that folks adhere to for the most part, and just this past week all the schools opened, along with bumping up the %'s of restaurants, movie theaters, gyms, etc. Now hopefully all that opening doest open the door to some new variants that attacks kids worse, like in Michigan, and we start all over again with the 4th wave.

But I'm going to spike the ball just a little bit here for us, it really feels like we have gotten to the new normal quicker than anyone else, without the dangers too...
Quote Reply
Re: 52K COVID cases in California today [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So.....

https://twitter.com/...962111935959042?s=19

The UK data in this thread is fascinating. A massive ramp up in vaccinating and the subsequent collapse in New infections.

The drops been so great that the number of new cases is subject to such significant variation on a day to day basis as to be undiscernable from noise.

It's amazing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Thought I would revisit this old thread about CA and Covid, what a difference a couple months make. I did not look this up, but just heard on the news a couple days ago, that CA is now the best state in the nation for new Covid cases, surpassing that island out in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, Hawaii. I knew we had been under the magical 1% infection rate for sometime now, but best in the nation is pretty big news, especially since we are also the largest state.

No doubt a combination of several things, we are vaccinating people at a really fast rate, and most likely a 1/3 of the state already had Covid in some form. Where I live there are still mask mandates that folks adhere to for the most part, and just this past week all the schools opened, along with bumping up the %'s of restaurants, movie theaters, gyms, etc. Now hopefully all that opening doest open the door to some new variants that attacks kids worse, like in Michigan, and we start all over again with the 4th wave.

But I'm going to spike the ball just a little bit here for us, it really feels like we have gotten to the new normal quicker than anyone else, without the dangers too...

so you are revisiting this almost exactly 4 months (Dec 17) from first post. We (Canada) are exactly today, where you were then. So 4 months behind you guys bodes well for a return to (full?) normalcy come mid-August..maybe even a couple weeks earlier !!..(Gideeup August 1st!!...can't take much more of this!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also..any word down there when kids -12 and older and -12& under might get vaccine?
Quote Reply
Re: 52K COVID cases in California today [shady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you guys will get there a lot quicker now than we did. You have one huge advantage(at least. think you do) you will get to vaccinate folks a lot quicker than we could 4 months ago. Right now it is great in that no more appointments, just walk up to almost anywhere and get a shot. 4 months ago it was near impossible to get a slot, and you had to be over 70 or a health care worker. I would assume you guys are getting close to having anyone and everyone being able to just get their shots?

As for kids, I think it is going to be next year. They have a ton of trials for the under 16 crowd going on, and since they dont seem to get nearly as sick, they are not putting the gas pedal down as hard on that one. But it could be it speeds up if Michigan continues to blow up with younger folks getting it, and actually getting hospitalized. Screaming parents could be a good catalyst to get emergency authorization like we all did for our shots.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I think you guys will get there a lot quicker now than we did. You have one huge advantage(at least. think you do) you will get to vaccinate folks a lot quicker than we could 4 months ago. Right now it is great in that no more appointments, just walk up to almost anywhere and get a shot. 4 months ago it was near impossible to get a slot, and you had to be over 70 or a health care worker. I would assume you guys are getting close to having anyone and everyone being able to just get their shots?

As for kids, I think it is going to be next year. They have a ton of trials for the under 16 crowd going on, and since they dont seem to get nearly as sick, they are not putting the gas pedal down as hard on that one. But it could be it speeds up if Michigan continues to blow up with younger folks getting it, and actually getting hospitalized. Screaming parents could be a good catalyst to get emergency authorization like we all did for our shots.

yeah, we are definitely starting to rollout the vacs so fingers crossed for .. mid-July normalcy .

Not till new year for kids eh? hmmm..was hoping 12 to 16 could get it down there by August and up here by late- October. You’re right though .. a new variant and potential 4th wave targeting 16 & under would be both scary and ratchet up sense of urgency. Fingers crossed for the Fall
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder what the percentage of California‘s vaccinated population is east of I5 versus west of I5.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: 52K COVID cases in California today [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
I wonder what the percentage of California‘s vaccinated population is east of I5 versus west of I5.

Western numbers probably even higher if you carve out the nut jobs in Huntington Beach.

Weird that all my CA and Newsom hating friends have gone suddenly quiet .....
Quote Reply
Re: 52K COVID cases in California today [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:

The repeated Florida, California comparisons have stopped too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:

This map is of case rate not vaccination but sure looks a bit darker overall east of the 5:

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/us-map

Quote Reply
Re: 52K COVID cases in California today [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:

I'm crying one tear for Duffy, wherever he is (who hates CA and Newsom more than anyone despite living in idyllic and elite Santa Barbara).

It does (if this continues) hamper the recall effort, because the recall really hitched its wagon to "Newsom botched COVID" as something everyone could really around to make it not look like just a GOP campaign.

I'm still hoping he gets recalled (he is kind of a slimeball), but Caitlin Jenner wins so I can troll with, "I didn't like Jenner, but you *made me* vote for her by recalling Newsom. Also my 401(k) is going well."
Quote Reply
Re: 52K COVID cases in California today [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those thinking the worst is behind... Michigan fell first the first time, then the rest of the nation followed. If we are the Canary in the coal mine.. There's a bad storm on the rise..

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: 52K COVID cases in California today [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
For those thinking the worst is behind... Michigan fell first the first time, then the rest of the nation followed. If we are the Canary in the coal mine.. There's a bad storm on the rise..

It's a possibility. But I remain hopeful.

On the other hand back over a year ago when we were making bets I thought I was being super negative and pessimistic betting there'd be more than 10,000 deaths. So there's that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
shady wrote:

Not till new year for kids eh? hmmm..was hoping 12 to 16 could get it down there by August and up here by late- October. You’re right though .. a new variant and potential 4th wave targeting 16 & under would be both scary and ratchet up sense of urgency. Fingers crossed for the Fall

I’m hoping kids under 16 can get vaccinated in June. We still have all of May for everyone 16+ to get the shots. And I’m willing to roll the dice on vaccine safety for my kids. If it’s good enough for 16+, it’s good enough for my kids. I’ll get my kids done as soon as we can.
Last edited by: CallMeMaybe: Apr 25, 21 19:41
Quote Reply
Re: 52K COVID cases in California today [CallMeMaybe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hope you’re right and it’s sooner than later . we’re likely 2 months behind you so i’ll be watching closely. love to have the two lil’shadys stabbed by Oct at VERY latest. One enters HS is September and the Board likely doesn’t even entertain possibility of any extracurriculars ( in his case sports) until kids are vaccinated ... so get going down there:)
Last edited by: shady: Apr 25, 21 19:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My mom says that vaccination centers in Montana are accepting walk-ins. I would LOVE to see that here in CA in 4 weeks. If the vaccines are available and appointments not being filled— why not?
Quote Reply
Re: 52K COVID cases in California today [Mike D1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike D1 wrote:
ironclm wrote:

This map is of case rate not vaccination but sure looks a bit darker overall east of the 5:

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/us-map

That is not surprising.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SDSU has no appointment walk-ups for 1,000 doses today! Sweet. I hope we see walk-up vaccinations all over for a few weeks. That would be so awesome.
Quote Reply

Prev Next