Quote | Reply
A promised land. Barack Obama

Really enjoying it.
Quote Reply
Re: November reading / listening thread [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jodi Picoult - The Book of Two Ways

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: November reading / listening thread [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy101 wrote:
A promised land. Barack Obama

Really enjoying it.

Ditto.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cry, the Beloved Country. This book was written in 1948. I don't know how it was not on any reading list during my high school and college years--maybe because I grew up in the South. From Amazon's description:

Cry, the Beloved Country, is the deeply moving story of the Zulu pastor Stephen Kumalo and his son, Absalom, set against the background of a land and a people riven by racial injustice. Remarkable for its lyricism, unforgettable for character and incident, Cry, the Beloved Country is a classic work of love and hope, courage and endurance, born of the dignity of man.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On my way to reading a biography of every U.S President, on #3, "Thomas Jefferson - The Art of Power" by Jon Meacham
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bernardine Evaristo - Girl, Woman, Other
Yoko Ogawa - The Memory Police
Paolo Bacigalupi - The Water Knife
Ma Ling - Severance
Martha Wells - the Murderbot books
Lionel Shriver - The Motion of the Body Through Space
The latest Louise Penny which got namechecked by Dorie Greenspan in the NYT
Diane Setterfield - Once Upon A River (just started today)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Erik Larson, The Splendid and the Vile: A Saga of Churchill, Family and Defiance during the Blitz
Heinrich Böll, Irisches Tagebuch
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An Ice Cream War -William Boyd East Africa - Germans and Brits

Cadillac Desert - Marc Reisner - Re-reading after 30 years about the American west and the disappearing of water

The Quantum and The Lotus - Matthieu Riccard & Trinh Xuan Thuan - Science and Buddhism meet
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I listened to rise and kill first. Hands down one of the most amazing non fiction books I've ever read. Worthy of a discussion.

Fiction; Peter James latest was rubbish, playdate Alex dahl excellent, sentinel less reacher same as every other one, moonfleet one of my favourites, fair warning Michael connelly I like him, the kingdom Jo nesbo

Blacktop wasteland and three by mishani were excellent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
What have you been reading?

Don't Sleep, There are Snakes

Written by Daniel Everett who started out as a missionary, lost his religion and became an academic linguist. First 2/3 of the book is basically an ethnography of the Piraha of Brazil. Last 1/3 is about their atypical language.

If you're interested in anthropology, what traditional hunter/gatherer/horticulturalist societies were like, it's a good read. Unfortunately, from what I've seen the Piraha have been brought into modernity. Not sure how, since they are portrayed as being opposed to it in the book.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Survival of the friendliest

An interesting discussion of how as a species we cooperated to advance. This same trait causes us to be vigorously protective of family and clan against "the other"; a trait being manipulated to the extreme in our present political environment. The path out is also discussed.

https://www.amazon.com/...manity/dp/0399590668

The power grid. Never thought much about it until reading the book.

https://www.amazon.com/Grid-Fraying-Between-Americans-Energy/dp/1632865688/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=the+grid&qid=1606662765&s=books&sr=1-1

Quote Reply
Re: November reading / listening thread [sametime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sametime wrote:

Survival of the friendliest

An interesting discussion of how as a species we cooperated to advance. This same trait causes us to be vigorously protective of family and clan against "the other"; a trait being manipulated to the extreme in our present political environment. The path out is also discussed.

https://www.amazon.com/...manity/dp/0399590668

Cooperation seems to have become new big topic in anthropology over the last few decades.

Michael Tomasello probably best known writer on the topic. He has a book about how this has led to morality, amongst a number of other books.
Quote Reply