Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tool to find out where to retire [A-A-Ron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Idaho native on a rant if you can't tell.

Wait, I'm looking for something...

Quote Reply
Re: Tool to find out where to retire [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Quote:

Idaho native on a rant if you can't tell.

Wait, I'm looking for something...

Old, slow, curmudgeon. Lemme guess, looking to move to Idaho?
Quote Reply
Re: Tool to find out where to retire [A-A-Ron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Old, slow, curmudgeon. Lemme guess, looking to move to Idaho?

Possibly, but it isn't first on my list (only a few friends live there). It is a very nice place to visit. The basic rules have been around forever, live and work where there is economic opportunity, and you have choices about when and where you retire. It is nice for locals who cater to the new retirees, or those with houses that have appreciated. Eventually, new jobs come in. Folks move or stay. It only sucks if you didn't get the memo that change happens.

Time moves on, and complaining about change is the MO of true curmedgeons. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to chase some kids off of my lawn....
Quote Reply
Re: Tool to find out where to retire [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wimsey wrote:
Related question, not meant to be accusatory: why do people retire to faraway places from where they spend their working years?

You spend a life making friends, establishing community ties, and then at an age when those things become all the more important to aging well, you move 6 states away?

I get it if you’re moving to be closer to family. But it seems to me if you feel like you want to retire somewhere far away for non-family reasons, maybe you shouldn’t be living where you are in the first place.

The reality is that most people who move away to retire in the perfect location move back because of friends and particularly family. I know a few relatives who moved to an idyllic lakeside cottage and then realized they couldn’t see their grandchildren every day and the nice views quickly lost their appeal.

I did live oversees for years and would like to retire in Thailand but only if I can live in Canada for 6 months of the year to be close to family for at least half a year.
Quote Reply

Prev Next