Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dogs and deer
Quote | Reply
Is it possible to teach a dog not to bark at or chase deer? One of the best parts of our property are the deer than we see every day. We’re also getting a dog. I’d love to know if it’s possible to teach a dog not to bark at or chase the deer away. We DO want the dog to bark like mad at the bears and mountain lions though...

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Re: Dogs and deer [RockyMtnChic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends. Apparently you can train a mallinois to not bark at a man with a gun, but film him and then on cue attack silently whilst simultaneously go bat shit scarey crazy at the same people on demand.......

So i am guessing you can
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speaking only about the breed of Black and Tan Coon hounds. I had an uncle who raised and hunted them in southern Michigan. Some for money (he had several champions) and some for the fun and love of the hunt. He used a pretty harsh shock collar for the ones that had a penchant to chase deer. That usually did the trick. They learned real quick that it was coons only, no other animals, especially deer. If it didn't work, the dog was destroyed or sold as a pet. Some of my best memories as a kid was out in the dark scary swamps hunting coons with those awesome animals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my friend trained her hunting do not to chase deer. (it was a bird dog who had taken down a deer. oops)
they used the highest value treat to reinforce recall, and it totally worked.
you will have to figure out what that treat will be. in this case - blue cheese!
Quote Reply