Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Interesting men's shoes - manufacturers?
Quote | Reply
The last few years I have come to appreciate quality shoes. I am tired of binning shoes that can't be resoled, and I also like shoes with character. I currently have 3 pair from Magnanni and a pair from Maglierapelle. Currently looking at another pair or two from Maglierapelle due to their BF sale. Currently have a pair of the hand painted Tenedos that gets a lot of looks and positive comments. May be a bit much for some, but they look cool in person. Looking to pick up something like the burgundy shoes below.

So gents, have names of other shoemakers who are have similarly interesting designs?

Currently have

Looking to get

Last edited by: tigermilk: Nov 27, 20 12:10
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting men's shoes - manufacturers? [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have benchmade church's....... That's how I roll.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting men's shoes - manufacturers? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Post pics, would you? I like good-looking men’s shoes. It’s not weird or anything. ; )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ll second Church’s. Both my husband I wear them. (Although I do own quite a few pair or Frye Boots) also Grenson has some nice stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those Tenedos are gorgeous...

I have a few pairs of Stacey Adams, I like their designs...

The more basic styles are available widely, and are often on sale, which is a bonus...
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting men's shoes - manufacturers? [CallMeMaybe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i like Church's too but have seen some of Mauri's shoes in shop windows and they're insane, in a good way (but not so good if you frown on exotic skins)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CallMeMaybe wrote:
Post pics, would you? I like good-looking men’s shoes. It’s not weird or anything. ; )
Also looking to get this pair from Maglieriapelle (the Aydin)

My Magnanni Carrera shoes - haven't been able to wear them yet due to not being in the office since March

And another pair from Magnanni (my most conservative pair of shoes)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well i never thought i'd say or even think this but - those monk's buckles are hot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigermilk wrote:
CallMeMaybe wrote:

Also looking to get this pair from Maglieriapelle (the Aydin)

My Magnanni Carrera shoes - haven't been able to wear them yet due to not being in the office since March

And another pair from Magnanni (my most conservative pair of shoes)

I like Magnanni's - they're a good sweet spot of price and quality. The ones you posted are a bit out there for me though. My next door neighbor is a retired Italian-American NYC garbage collector. I've never seen him wear anything but sweats and Jets...but he is obsessed with high-end / Northampton ENglish men's shoes. He and I agree - Joseph Cheaney's are the best. I have shearling lined versions of these and the best day of every year is the day it gets cold enough to wear them:

For classic styles I also think Carmina are grea and they have a customize feature where you can effectively design your own shoe with different leather colors etc.

https://www.carminashoemaker.com/en

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting men's shoes - manufacturers? [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
😂 Kiki you slay me! ❤️

I have competing paradigms as I evaluate the shoes. This getting complicated.

I think I love the very first shoes in this thread. Everything about them is awesome. They’re so fashion-forward that you’d need a whole closet of shoes to earn the right to wear them. Too trendy? Am I getting old?!

I love a good sole. And details. Sexy monk buckles. 😂 Stitching. 🔥

ETA: just saw Mauri’s. Love the animal skin! But then I feel bad. I’m conflicted. Do I evaluate in a visual-consumption type thing only or as something consumed by the masses? Because it matters.
Last edited by: CallMeMaybe: Nov 27, 20 13:10
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting men's shoes - manufacturers? [Bretom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cheaneys are good, as are top end barker, crocket, grensons, lobb etc

I'd only buy shoes made in Northampton, and of those currently available id go church or lobb or jones
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CallMeMaybe wrote:
I think I love the very first shoes in this thread. Everything about them is awesome. They’re so fashion-forward that you’d need a whole closet of shoes to earn the right to wear them. Too trendy? Am I getting old?!
Those Tenedos I have do get a lot of comments, just out of the blue from complete strangers. Mind you we, in non-Covid times, frequent the trendier parts of town, but even my engineer coworkers like them. Just thumbing through the Maglierapelle website gives plenty of shoe eye candy.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting men's shoes - manufacturers? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been a Grenson's Triple Welt fan for a while now. Alas, having giant plates of meat doesn't provide me with an overflowing cornucopia of choice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like shoes.

English shoes:
Jonn Lobb are exquisite lifetime shoes - their Chelsea boots are a must.
Crockett & Jones for a slightly more stylish, quality English shoes - they make beautiful monk straps. I use to wear Church’s but found Crockett & Jones fit me a bit better and have a less brutal break in period.

Italian:
Prada makes beautiful, amazingly comfortable men’s shoes. They don’t wear like most of the English shoes but feel like wearing slippers.
Santoni are beautiful, feel amazing from the first minute you put them on, and wear better than Prada.

Quote | Reply
I have a couple of pairs from Church and JM Weston. Rarely get to wear them in Florida especially working from home. They will last forever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, can’t help you. The only shoes I have worn for the last 9 months are running and cycling shoes. I won’t be going back to an office for another 6 months at least so not going to buy any clothes let alone shoes.

Trieatalot

It's a C minus world.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting men's shoes - manufacturers? [travelgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travelgirl wrote:
I’ll second Church’s. Both my husband I wear them. (Although I do own quite a few pair or Frye Boots) also Grenson has some nice stuff.

My wife has several pairs of frye's. It's an expensive addiction.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting men's shoes - manufacturers? [snoots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snoots wrote:
Those Tenedos are gorgeous...

I have a few pairs of Stacey Adams, I like their designs...

The more basic styles are available widely, and are often on sale, which is a bonus...

Another Stacy Adams fan here... Got a pair of their Chelsea boots, under $100 on sale and I’ve gotten more random compliments on those than anything else I’ve ever worn put together (from both chicks and dudes). I was prepared to pay more and shopped several higher-end brands, but couldn’t find anything that looked/fit better. Win-win!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t know if they fit the bill for being super interesting, but whenever I wear my walnut colored Allen Edmonds Strands I get loads of complements

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thread is useless without BLeP.

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting men's shoes - manufacturers? [jsivvy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jsivvy wrote:
I like shoes.

English shoes:
Jonn Lobb are exquisite lifetime shoes - their Chelsea boots are a must.
Crockett & Jones for a slightly more stylish, quality English shoes - they make beautiful monk straps. I use to wear Church’s but found Crockett & Jones fit me a bit better and have a less brutal break in period.

Finally some correct answers (at least on the English side--I haven't owned anything Italian since some Ferragamo chukkas & loafers 10+ years ago). However Lobb's lasts are usually at least 1 size small/tight, so hard to order blind (but huge variance on their lasts as I have both a pair of Lopez loafers and a formal slip on that seem to be on the same last as their Lawry, but aren't the same as their lace-ups. I have a pair of shell Crocketts for RL purple label that are forever shoes. Ditto my Alden shell chukkas. I have 2 pairs of AE shell Park Ave's, as well as another shell chukka from them that I love.

That being said, for my feet nothing fits, or looks better than made to order Vass, though they have a couple of lasts that fit me really well. https://www.shopmehra.com/...ns/laszlo-vass-shoes

At one point I had over 40 pairs of shoes. And then like watch collecting I moved on. I'm down to about half of that, and most are Vass and I love them all (and doubt I'll ever need to buy more shoes). My advice to anyone just getting into shoes is buy shell in anything possible, as you'll only need to resole, never replace, and they truly get better with time.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Last edited by: mopdahl: Nov 28, 20 16:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember in my youth I bought a few pairs of Paraboot with my student loan (lol).
I kept them for more than a decade, nice robust shoes !!
https://www.paraboot.com/homme/derbies/chambordactem-marron-lis-cafe
https://www.paraboot.com/homme/derbies/tourniergalaxy-noire-lis-cafe

Louis :-)

Last edited by: louisn: Nov 28, 20 17:04
Quote Reply