Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Don't ever talk to the president that way. [Grantbot21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The twitter scenario would be the best case, but... he has a 400+ million dollar loan coming due in the next few years (https://www.marketwatch.com/...concerns-01601332900) and... well... he's probably going to be financing a lot of lawsuits... If the MAGA grift stops being so lucrative, I think the concern is that he's going to attempt to monetize the information he's retained from the few briefings he actually read.
Quote Reply
Re: Don't ever talk to the president that way. [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
snoots wrote:
A tad contrarian, perhaps, but I can see his point.

What point? The question posed to him was not disrespectful. It's an extremely important question, and one that Trump has intentionally left to ambiguity or outright denial.

Is there a double standard? If Trump intentionally talks about believing the election to be a fraud and intimating he's the rightful winner of the election it's just "Trump being Trump" and we shouldn't believe him. But if a reporter takes him at his word and asks him about the logical consequences of truly believing to be the rightful President then it's "disrespectful?"

Sorry, my response was definitely tinted with the lens that I view politicians, media, and the general populations with at this moment re: respect. I'll add that I'm Canadian, and so spend very little time worrying about US politics. I do feel that the media has been extremely unfair to President Trump over the past 4.5 yrs or so, bit whatever...

The question is important, but when you have a reporter impatiently and with some 'tude say "Just answer the question..." to the President, perhaps the response is founded... A certain decorum should be expected, despite President Trump's often lack of... two wrongs don't make a right, and sinking to the lows is only a race to the bottom...
Quote Reply
Re: Don't ever talk to the president that way. [Tri2HaveFun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri2HaveFun wrote:
Whatever Mason said when he interrupted Trump wasn't mentioned. That's what Trump lashed out at, not the original question about conceding.

I think the interjection was "just answer the question." Which, could, in some contexts, be considered disrespectful. But, to be fair, Trump wasn't answering the question. An easy question. He rambled on about Biden vs. Obama (!) for 10-15 seconds. Then said, "It's a possibility."

A "possibility" that he'd adhere to the Constitutional process for selecting a President.

Look, I get that Trump likes to tease and be ambiguous about some things to make "lib heads explode" and just because it makes compelling television.

But does that really extend to "Are you going to attempt a coup?"

The reporter was, I'd argue, being very respectful in that he was taking Trump seriously. If Trump truly believes that he's the rightful President, then that's a legitimate question that deserves a legitimate answer.

If I was President and I truly believed the vote was a complete fraud, and that the state governments and courts were in on the fraud...led by a secretive cabal of globalist elites....what's the correct action there? To just meekly cave in to the fraud? I'm not sure what I'd do in that situation.

But if the President truly believes that's what's going on, it's worth pressing for an answer on what *he* is going to do.

I think we all know Trump is likely just all bluster and gasbag. And doesn't really believe all that. But don't blame the press corps for taking him at his word. That's what they're *supposed* to do. This isn't fun satire at the correspondents dinner. This was a formal press briefing. With no indication or satire or humor.
Last edited by: trail: Nov 27, 20 18:31
Quote Reply
Re: Don't ever talk to the president that way. [snoots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snoots wrote:

The question is important, but when you have a reporter impatiently and with some 'tude say "Just answer the question..." to the President, perhaps the response is founded... A certain decorum should be expected, despite President Trump's often lack of... two wrongs don't make a right, and sinking to the lows is only a race to the bottom...

Could be in some contexts, I agree. But Trump *wasn't* answering the question...per my post just above. *He* had a total lack of decorum himself. Decorum goes both ways. He should respect the institution of journalism and answer easy, extremely important questions in a formal press briefing.
Quote Reply

Prev Next