Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Best Singer/Songwriter by State (with cudoes to atkid for the other thread) [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Without doing much research, I think Alaska gets Jewel and Hawai'i gets Jack Johnson [although Arlo Guthrie has lived there for ages, he hasn't produced much since "Alice's Restaurant" or "City Of New Orleans"]

Arlo Guthrie didn't write City of New Orleans, Steve Goodman from Chicago did. He wrote about a train trip that he took with his sister. I want to put him in for Illinois and put John Prine in Tennessee. We can put the Jimmy Buffet, the other member of that dynamic trio, in for Alabama, since he's, as he puts it, from LA; lower Alabama!

You can see John Prine and Jimmy Buffett on the cover of Steve Goodman's album ''Somebody Else's Troubles;

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Best Singer/Songwriter by State (with cudoes to atkid for the other thread) [travelgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travelgirl wrote:
Washington State, Jimi Hendrix or Kurt Cobain

Washington, DC - Ian MacIaye or Henry Rollins
Virginia - Dave Grohl
Maryland/Baltimore - Frank Zappa

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Best Singer/Songwriter by State (with cudoes to atkid for the other thread) [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
slowguy wrote:
kfo996 wrote:
I seem to recall there was some Italian guy from NJ that was pretty popular - Frank Sinatra. He was one of several Italian singers (Dean Martin, Tony Bennett) that were inspiration for Elvis Presley. Those other singers are MOP age groupers compared to Sinatra

Sinatra didn’t write his songs.

The subject calls for singer/songwriter, not singer-songwriter

If the thread is looking for the best singer or the best songwriter, then the choices offered probably don't meet the mark. I don't think anyone else interpreted it that way, though.

If the thread is looking for the best singer-songwriter, then the LR doesn't know what that term means.

I think people just decided to offer up the best people who sang in some capacity with a band, or group, or solo, and who also played some active role in the songwriting to some degree or another.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Best Singer/Songwriter by State (with cudoes to atkid for the other thread) [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
If the thread is looking for the best singer-songwriter, then the LR doesn't know what that term means.

Singer-songwriter refers to the kinda crap they shovel on World Cafe

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Best Singer/Songwriter by State (with cudoes to atkid for the other thread) [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Just for fun, let's give USVI to Jimmy Buffett

Maybe he should represent the Conch Republic;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conch_Republic

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply

Prev Next