Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pedal Recommendations
Quote | Reply
Ok, with no return to swimming in sight for me, I've turned into a regular Zwifter. For a number years, I've had single-sided Wellgo SPD pedals on my road bike so I didn't have to faff about with a second set of shoes for that and my commuter bike (My Nike shoes have 2 and 3 bolt patterns on them). But now it's winter and the only riding I'll be doing will be inside. I'm wondering if a road pedal will give me a better/more stable feel on the pedals. I don't have a big budget (like <$100). What pedals do people recommend? Are the Look Keo 3 Classics the best in class for this budget/situation, or would I be better off scouring the secondhand market for something higher end, but used?

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Re: Pedal Recommendations [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tallswimmer wrote:
Ok, with no return to swimming in sight for me, I've turned into a regular Zwifter. For a number years, I've had single-sided Wellgo SPD pedals on my road bike so I didn't have to faff about with a second set of shoes for that and my commuter bike (My Nike shoes have 2 and 3 bolt patterns on them). But now it's winter and the only riding I'll be doing will be inside. I'm wondering if a road pedal will give me a better/more stable feel on the pedals. I don't have a big budget (like <$100). What pedals do people recommend? Are the Look Keo 3 Classics the best in class for this budget/situation, or would I be better off scouring the secondhand market for something higher end, but used?

Shimano SPD-SL’s. Just get whichever ones fit your budget.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Pedal Recommendations [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why the SL’s and not the Looks?

Well after more digging, James Huang at CyclingTips had the same thoughts you did.... https://cyclingtips.com/...-budget-road-pedals/

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Last edited by: tallswimmer: Nov 24, 20 15:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are both good pedals. Some people are Shimano, some are Look while there are some crazy people that use Speedplay or something else :)

Personally I use Looks because that's what I started with back in the 80's but I could easily use Shimano SPD. I've had a couple pairs of Keo Classics as well as the Performance bike knock off brand that I like.

It seems as though a lot of pedal power meters are using Looks, I don't know why they do, but it makes it easy to try them out if you're already on that platform.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shimano 105 is in my opinion the best bang for the buck when it comes to pedals.

I prefer the shimano cleats over Look. To me they are better for walking (like into a convenience store, coffee shop, etc.

A lot of people still prefer Look pedals. A few years ago (when shimano pedals were all metal) there was a big weight difference between look and shimano, so Look was good for weight weenies on a budget. Now the shimano pedals are closer in weight, and I like the feel and durability of shimano.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Shimano SPD-SL are the very best cycling pedals on the market, imho.
Quote Reply
Re: Pedal Recommendations [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I swapped from Look to Shimano as the bikes at the velodrome had Shimano pedals so it saved faffing or having second pairs of shoes.

I can't say I noticed any difference in feel. I've worn out a few pedals (bearings wore out, got loose, bit of float, then started shooting out the side as I was riding along). But that was after massive miles and the only reason I got new pedals.

I've had from 15+ year old r540 level to last year's ultegra level. And again, no difference in 'feel' between pedals on my very stiff carbon soled shoes. Just significant difference in weight and profile.

Random comment, not 100% relevant, but it's an internet forum, so almost obligatory to OT. My wife swapped from Look to a special 'easy clip' version of the Shimano SL-spd and really found that was a success. Not saying you need those at all, but if we're starting a thread that may pop up if a newbie searches (stop laughing at the back, it may happen...) then it could be handy to know as they aren't really well advertised.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tallswimmer wrote:
Why the SL’s and not the Looks?

Well after more digging, James Huang at CyclingTips had the same thoughts you did.... https://cyclingtips.com/...-budget-road-pedals/

I’ve never used Keo”s, so I don’t have an overly informed opinion of them, but way back in the day I used the old style Looks with the delta cleat. After puking my foot out of the pedal in a few too many sprints, I switched to shimano SPD, then SPD-R (which were great until the clear started to wear, then they would occasionally trap your foot), then SPD-SL. I still have my original Dura Ace pedals from the first year they were released, no issues. Never even maintained. As close to a “set and forget” system as you can get.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Pedal Recommendations [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speedplay pedals are great. Easy to walk in and can clip in on both sides
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Pedal Recommendations [airhol2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know, they are very good pedals, I was just giving a jab to the people that use them :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have Favero Assioma pedals...I’m assuming those are look style, right? I used to use shimano - I notice that the look style seem harder to get in and out of. Maybe it’s just me.
Quote Reply
Re: Pedal Recommendations [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-Ultegra-PD-R8000-Carbon-Fiber-Road-Bike-Pedal-with-SM-SH11-Cleats-CMT-/284011692147?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Likely counterfeits.

This is one of multiple seller IDs selling a variety of Shimano products from CN with feedback about them being fake.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Pedal Recommendations [SBRmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve had Look, Shimano, Speedplay, and Assiomas.

I started with Look and liked them just fine. Then when my bike collection started expanding I got Shimano based on the cost and reputation for durability. They certainly have been durable and easy to walk in, but nothing too special. I tried Speedplay because people rave about them, but the faffing with cleats and torque wrenches, I just could never get them set up well. Lubing them regularly was a pain (I’m lazy). And then the pair on my trainer rusted themselves to my crank arm, so goodbye Speedplay. Assiomas were fine but for some reason hard to clip in and out no matter the adjustment.

I’m back on Look keo blades, and loving life again. Maybe because I started with them but I just don’t have to think about anything with them, they just work the way my brain says they should.
Last edited by: Kwalton839: Nov 24, 20 17:29
Quote Reply
Re: Pedal Recommendations [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-Ultegra-PD-R8000-Carbon-Fiber-Road-Bike-Pedal-with-SM-SH11-Cleats-CMT-/284011692147?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Likely counterfeits.

This is one of multiple seller IDs selling a variety of Shimano products from CN with feedback about them being fake.

I buy a pair of Ultegra pedals almost every week and they are authentic.

In fact, I just put a pair on my younger son's new time trial bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Pedal Recommendations [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is a thread from June where the authenticity of pedals was also discussed:

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...his_bicycle_P7266442
Quote Reply