Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Who here had Covid and has recovered? [CanUsa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CanUsa wrote:
CanUsa wrote:
CanUsa wrote:

My hope is that I get to full health and fitness in a manner where I can race again (I've signed up for a race a year from now fully anticipating the green light).
However, I recognize that COVID might cause me to have an early retirement from this sport.
My cardiologist appointment is Dec.9th.

Update: I received the "green light" to start training again from the cardiologist yesterday. I have a couple more tests later this month, but I anticipate those will come back fine based on my conversation with him yesterday.
Gearing up for IM Florida in early November, 2021!

COVID sucks!
Avoid COVID!
Wear a mask!

Cheers!
CanUSA

Update #2: This thread has special meaning for me. I'm a "long time listener, first time caller" type of SlowTwitcher. But I got online on the 'right day' to find this thread.
As a follow up to the previous update, I went in for my stress exercise echocardiogram this morning. My first green light from earlier this month was to begin training and exercising. Today's green light is the green light that says I may go all in and truly train for IM Florida that I signed up for a few weeks ago. No more cardiologist appointments or appointments where I may learn that I have to retire from this sport.

On July 10, I was exposed to COVID.
On July 15, symptoms started.
The next few months had significant negative impacts as it relates to health, family, social circles, exercise & mental health.
On December 30, I'm 'cleared' to do this stuff that we all enjoy.
These last 6 months have been difficult for most of us, but if you haven't had COVID, be grateful, and take it upon yourself to do responsible things to prevent it (ie social distance, vaccine) while also recognizing how blessed we are to be able to enjoy doing sport.
I'm truly looking forward to 2021 and what it has to offer.
Cheers!

Update #3: Wow, it's 4 months later! I've been out of the hospital for 9 months now! I've been training fairly regularly over these past 24 weeks (since early November). I've logged over 200 hours of training, with the majority of it walking at pace (440 miles, 112 hours). But I've logged many longer runs (max @ 13 miles) and I've logged a 66 mile bike ride this past Sunday.
I'm doing well and continue to be excited about this year as I prepare for IM Florida.
My mental health is getting better as well and I feel less traumatized by the COVID experience.

COVID scared me.
COVID scarred me.
But I hope to use those scars for future gain for myself and others.
Cheers!
Quote Reply
Re: Who here had Covid and has recovered? [CanUsa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CanUsa wrote:
CanUsa wrote:
CanUsa wrote:
CanUsa wrote:

My hope is that I get to full health and fitness in a manner where I can race again (I've signed up for a race a year from now fully anticipating the green light).
However, I recognize that COVID might cause me to have an early retirement from this sport.
My cardiologist appointment is Dec.9th.

Update: I received the "green light" to start training again from the cardiologist yesterday. I have a couple more tests later this month, but I anticipate those will come back fine based on my conversation with him yesterday.
Gearing up for IM Florida in early November, 2021!

Update #2: This thread has special meaning for me. I'm a "long time listener, first time caller" type of SlowTwitcher. But I got online on the 'right day' to find this thread. ....

Update #3: Wow, it's 4 months later! I've been out of the hospital for 9 months now! I've been training fairly regularly over these past 24 weeks (since early November). ....
I'm doing well and continue to be excited about this year as I prepare for IM Florida. ....

Update #4: I did my 1st race post COVID recovery yesterday (IM Michigan 70.3). Over the past 10 years, I've raced a handful or more of 70.3s and 3 full IM's. My times in the past were between 5:35 - 5:48 for the 70.3s and 11:55 - 12:50 for the 3 fulls. (Middle of pack type for a middle aged guy).
Yesterday, I beat my 70.3 PR by 24 minutes, which I set 6 years ago. A 5:11:15 finish placed me much better than I expected and anticipated. It was the best race performance race I've ever experienced.
Yesterday, I kicked ass!
This last year, I kicked COVID's ass!
In 8 weeks, I hope to have a great race at IM Florida.
Yesterday was the confidence booster I needed to take me along this homestretch in my final race preparation for Florida.
A year ago, I thought I had to retire from sport.
Not anymore. I can do this stuff!

Side note: About 2x/week, I still cough uncontrollably in the evenings when sitting on the couch for an hour or so... Sometimes that continues on throughout the whole evening. #COVID sucks!
Quote Reply
Re: Who here had Covid and has recovered? [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had it January of this year.

Testing -2 days: chills, fever, ruh-roh
Testing -1 day: felt super tired, feverish, weak
Test day: Struggled to get out of bed, felt like I was hit by a car or very similar to just finishing a full IM...totally spent no energy bad lung pain (probably mild pnemonia)
Test +1: Went for a short walk, quarantined in my bedroom besides that. Bad lung pain. Slept ~18 hrs. 103 fever
Test +2: Longer walk, still felt insanely tired, slept ~12 hrs. 101 fever.
Test +3: Feeling better, slept normal ~8hrs, longer walk. Fever gone.
Test +4: Normalish, though the lung pain remained
Test +5: Normal. Lung pain gone.
Test +6: Normal
Test +7: Normal
Test +8: Went for first swim, felt like complete shit
Test +9: Long walk

After that, it was a slow ramp back to full training. I went into COVID pretty fit, so the bounce back was about 3 weeks. No residual effects, had 2 of my fastest races ever this year.
Quote Reply

Prev Next