Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Legal Weed....Again [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here are some articles that explore the interplay between psychosis and weed.

https://www.psychiatrictimes.com/...ced-psychosis-review

https://www.psychiatrictimes.com/...s-cannabis-psychosis

The psychiatrists that I discussed this topic with were both of the opinion that there is NO DOUBT that THC aggravates, accelerates or causes psychosis.

Good questions might be:
What percentages of the population will have problems with THC and psychosis?
At what doses?
And frequencies?
Can dishonest marketing on Facebook etc be limited?

Good steps to take would be:
1) Set regulations about THC/CBD content
2) Set reasonable rules about THC continent.
3) Establish good research related to mental health issues and THC.
Last edited by: Velocibuddha: Sep 24, 20 12:08
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Re: Legal Weed....Again [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:
Here is a product you can buy in CA. It was associated with a psychotic break that I am aware of.

90% + THC
1200 mg of THC (5-10 mg is enough)

With moonshine you get sick before you consume 600 times the needed amount.
Not so with this.

https://weedmaps.com//brands/cartel-oil-co/products/cartel-oil-co-cartel-oil-co-1200mg-cartridge

Your link didn't work. Specifically, where can I buy these 1200mg pieces? That sounds amazing.

Your posting history in this thread is so spotty with "facts" it is hard to take your arguments seriously. For starters, 5-10mg is in "fact", not enough for quite a few consumers. I get a bigger buzz with half a beer than I do with a 10mg edible.

Just Google cartel oil 1200mg.

You will get product description.

One might argue that 20mg is a reasonable dose. (That seems pretty crazy to me).
But 1200 is not that.

please tell me you don't think someone is consuming all 1200mg of that at one time. That is a vape cartridge. Each "puff' is designed to release 3-5mg of oil regardless if it's 500mg, 1000mg, or 1200mg cartridge.

Yes a member of my family consumed 3 x 1200mg cartridges over a weekend.
He wound up in a psychiatric hospital.
It is uncertain if he will ever be the same.

While he was consuming the 3600mg of THC he had the belief that weed was helping to calm him, helping with the delusions and hallucinations.
The internet is awash with claims about the curative nature of weed.

Let me try to phrase this in the most respectful way I can. Your relative that consumed 3x1200mg cartridges over one weekend wasn't all there to begin with. Their weekend bender was coincidental to their institutionalization and almost certainly nothing to do with the root cause. You said it yourself. They thought this was helping which indicates there was already a serious problem. I think you are way off base trying to pin this on THC.

Or put it another way: assuming 5mg is a dose, they took 720 doses over 2 days. 720 doses of anything will fuck you up. 720 drinks? Your getting a funeral.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:
Here is a product you can buy in CA. It was associated with a psychotic break that I am aware of.

90% + THC

Not so with this.

https://weedmaps.com//brands/cartel-oil-co/products/cartel-oil-co-cartel-oil-co-1200mg-cartridge

Your link didn't work. Specifically, where can I buy these 1200mg pieces? That sounds amazing.

Your posting history in this thread is so spotty with "facts" it is hard to take your arguments seriously. For starters, 5-10mg is in "fact", not enough for quite a few consumers. I get a bigger buzz with half a beer than I do with a 10mg edible.

One might argue that 20mg is a reasonable dose. (That seems pretty crazy to me).
But 1200 is not that.

please tell me you don't think someone is consuming all 1200mg of that at one time. That is a vape cartridge. Each "puff' is designed to release 3-5mg of oil regardless if it's 500mg, 1000mg, or 1200mg cartridge.

While he was consuming the 3600mg of THC he had the belief that weed was helping to calm him, helping with the delusions and hallucinations.

Let me try to phrase this in the most respectful way I can. Your relative that consumed 3x1200mg cartridges over one weekend wasn't all there to begin with. Their weekend bender was coincidental to their institutionalization and almost certainly nothing to do with the root cause. You said it yourself. They thought this was helping which indicates there was already a serious problem. I think you are way off base trying to pin this on THC.

F#ck off.
My relative was on track to do a lot better in life than you will.

It is true that it is hard to say what is genetics, what is accident, what is teen foolishness and what is THC.
But THC is definitely in there.

Sorry to say, TimeIsUp is spot on. Sorry, but you are too close to this situation to have an objective view. No one in their right mind would vape a 1200mg high concentrate cartridge in a weekend, let alone 3. If they drank 5 bottles of Vodka and died, would you say it was the vodka's fault for having a too high proof, or something else was the problem.

~Brad
Quote Reply
Re: Legal Weed....Again [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
States can and do regulate strength of product (incl. alcohol (!) if you consider Utah). Some people will do things to excess. How many college kids wind up in the hospital or dead from alcohol related frat hazing each year?

I'm sorry about your relative, but I still think legalization is better - at least people know what they are getting. Also the really dangerous synthetic cannabinoids we saw popping up a few years ago are less of a thing now.

It is a hard question.

It is a lot easier to regulate alcohol because it is a much simpler drug, with much less potential for engineering.

Yet we have many sensible precautions and regulations in place for alcohol.

My point is that the state's and the marijuana industry are not doing a very good job regulating and educating.

Obviously, prohibition is not very good for education or regulation either.

Btw I am not certain that dangerous synthetic cannabinoids have gone away either.
There is lots of discussion about them ending up in old vape cartridges that are then being considered by middle-schoolers. Who think they are getting the "good stuff."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
States can and do regulate strength of product (incl. alcohol (!) if you consider Utah). Some people will do things to excess. How many college kids wind up in the hospital or dead from alcohol related frat hazing each year?

I'm sorry about your relative, but I still think legalization is better - at least people know what they are getting. Also the really dangerous synthetic cannabinoids we saw popping up a few years ago are less of a thing now.

I read. Story this morning about a guy that died from eating far to much black licorice. Something like a pound a day for two weeks. As you said some people will do things to excess and that rarely works out well.

https://apnews.com/...35ea69483dd00e281253
Quote Reply
Re: Legal Weed....Again [bradword] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bradword wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:

90% + THC

Not so with this.

But 1200 is not that.

F#ck off.

It is true that it is hard to say what is genetics, what is accident, what is teen foolishness and what is THC.

Sorry to say, TimeIsUp is spot on. Sorry, but you are too close to this situation to have an objective view. No one in their right mind would vape a 1200mg high concentrate cartridge in a weekend, let alone 3. If they drank 5 bottles of Vodka and died, would you say it was the vodka's fault for having a too high proof, or something else was the problem.

Yes this is part of my point.

A massive dose of alcohol will kill you.
A massive dose of THC will sometimes make you permanently psychotic.
There are rules in place to deal with badly distilled pure liquor.
No-one is advertising on Facebook that badly distilled alcohol is good for you.

What I find disturbing is that the body and practical considerations have a shutdown mechanisms for regular alcohol and normal concentrate "natural weed."

None of these shutdown mechanisms exist for high THC concentrates.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds like you very well may have convinced yourself which way to vote.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The AZ General Election Publicity Pamphlet .....

One of the principal objections to the legal weed initiative is from parents and relatives of people that have had problems with high concentrate products.

Responsible legislation should attempt to deal with this problem.
It is not exactly rocket science.
It is a known problem.
(True internet morons might want to deny it exists)

https://www.google.com/...OdmAkRPAJ2M2v0Z_Ct_9
Quote Reply
Re: Legal Weed....Again [gotsand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gotsand wrote:
It sounds like you very well may have convinced yourself which way to vote.

No.

I am leaning towards legalization in spite of some very bad sh#t that I have seen happen.

My preferences would be:
1) Legalization with good research, education and democratic oversight.
2) Decriminalization with legal consumption and personal production.

Continued prohibition is pretty close to the bottom of my list of preferences.

There is, however, an even worse scenario.
I can imagine a sci-fi dystopia with lots of recklessly engineered consciousness altering drugs being gorilla marketed.
No reasonable regulation, bureaucratic neglect and corporate profiteering.
Last edited by: Velocibuddha: Sep 24, 20 10:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I skimmed your link. I see potential vagary, too.

Perhaps let the other states who already legalized be a guide to analyze the possibility of your worst case materializing?

I found the breakdown of SSAF monetary distribution curious - public health programs seem to be a relatively low funding priority:

33.0% to community colleges
31.4% to local law enforcement and fire departments
25.4% to the state and local transportation programs
10.0% to public health and criminal justice programs
0.2% to the Attorney General for enforcement
Last edited by: gotsand: Sep 24, 20 10:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:
Not so with this.

What I find disturbing is that the body and practical considerations have a shutdown mechanisms for regular alcohol and normal concentrate "natural weed."

None of these shutdown mechanisms exist for high THC concentrates.

On these two comments: one of the reasons liquor production is regulated is because if you accidentally make part of it into methanol, you end up blinding people. That can happen easily before the body complains or shuts down, AND a small methanol ratio is almost impossible to distinguish as a consumer.

None of that really matters in the discussion at hand, except that I think regulation is desirable from the standpoint of knowing what you are consuming.

That is interesting. It seems like a very similar problem.

To reinterpret into the context of weed:
1) Weed users cannot necessary perceive - the THC:CBD ratio in the product, the concentration of THC, the presence of other chemicals, the multitude of different strains, or the unusual ill individual side effects that might be associated with the product.
2) Weed users might suffering from poor judgement, mild hallucinations and delusions (brought on by moderate to heavy use). These users are not well equipped to determine the role that THC is playing in the creation of these symptoms.

High concentrate THC vs unregulated moonshine.
It seems like a very similar problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:

1) Legalization with good research, education and democratic oversight.

I would like to see cannabis removed from Schedule I so legitimate research can expand on it without the draconian DEA restrictions and license currently needed.

Yes.
Without good research and some kind of coherent educational strategy we are left with four sources of information:
1) Stoner businesses that make up stuff to suit their political and economic agendas.
2) Reactionary conservatives that make up stuff because that's what they do.
3) People that make up stuff based on their own experiences. "I smoked weed 4 times in the 1980s and I am fine. That proves weed is harmless."
4) Psychiatrists that only get involved once there is a problem.
Last edited by: Velocibuddha: Sep 24, 20 12:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:

90% + THC

Not so with this.

But 1200 is not that.

F#ck off.

That’s probably due the copious amounts of drugs I’ve done in my life.

I guess I find it kind of odd that you are laying the blame for someone presenting with delusions and hallucinations on a medication they chose to consume to help with said presentations. They were clearly psychotic, in the medical sense, before that weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: Legal Weed....Again [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:

90% + THC

Not so with this.

But 1200 is not that.

F#ck off.

That’s probably due the copious amounts of drugs I’ve done in my life.

I guess I find it kind of odd that you are laying the blame for someone presenting with delusions and hallucinations on a medication they chose to consume to help with said presentations. They were clearly psychotic, in the medical sense, before that weekend.

The person was not psychotic before that weekend.
They did not believe that THC would help with psychosis, until they were fully psychotic under the influence of THC.

My guess is actually that you have done relatively little weed.
And/or are stupid and opinionated.

That weed causes mild delusions and hallucinations- should be apparent to everyone that has used it. That is precisely why many people use it. The fact that some people jump from mild, temporary, hallucinations and delusions- to major longer term hallucinations and delusions- should also not be a surprise to anyone.

I posted two articles that clearly lay out some of the associations between THC and psychosis.
I suggest you read those first.

Personally-
I knew at least 3 people growing up who had issues with psychosis and weed.

And I did a lot of follow up research related to the family member who had psychosis.
Last edited by: Velocibuddha: Sep 24, 20 13:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think there are many intelligent people who think smoking weed before your brain is fully developed is a good thing. It sounds like your relative was a teenager. It affects adults differently.

I've done edibles and vape at 70%+ THC with zero CBD and have hit it pretty hard more than once, I have never hallucinated or had delusions. I have gotten a little paranoid though. It sounds like you're making a lot of generalizations on a few anecdotal stories. Knowing someone personally who has had issues is super scary and sad, but just like anti-vaxxers who know someone who did xxxx from a vaccine which = all vaxx is bad, I feel you are making similar leaps.

It is like many other things, if done improperly or in excess, bad things can happen. Alcohol is way worse and perfectly legal.

~Brad
Quote Reply
Re: Legal Weed....Again [bradword] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bradword wrote:
I don't think there are many intelligent people who think smoking weed before your brain is fully developed is a good thing. It sounds like your relative was a teenager. It affects adults differently.

I've done edibles and vape at 70%+ THC with zero CBD and have hit it pretty hard more than once, I have never hallucinated or had delusions. I have gotten a little paranoid though. It sounds like you're making a lot of generalizations on a few anecdotal stories. Knowing someone personally who has had issues is super scary and sad, but just like anti-vaxxers who know someone who did xxxx from a vaccine which = all vaxx is bad, I feel you are making similar leaps.

It is like many other things, if done improperly or in excess, bad things can happen. Alcohol is way worse and perfectly legal.

1) Paranoia IS a symptom of psychosis. So, actually you have experienced mild psychotic symptoms.
2) I have personal experience, logic, anecdotal evidence, scientific review literature- all supporting my point.
3) You have- "well, I vaped a lot, so I should know "- supporting your point.
And you accuse me of using anecdotal evidence.!!!!

There are positives and negatives with everything.
Weed use might "open your mind."
Help with creativity. Help you make new connections.
It might also cause, or aggravate underlying mental health conditions.

It seems only reasonable that something should be done to moderate some of the worst effects of legal weed.
Last edited by: Velocibuddha: Sep 24, 20 13:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:
bradword wrote:

1) Paranoia IS a symptom of psychosis. So, actually you have experienced mild psychotic symptoms.
2) I have personal experience, logic, anecdotal evidence, scientific review literature- all supporting my point.
3) You have- "well, I vaped a lot, so I should know "- supporting your point.
And you accuse me of using anecdotal evidence.!!!!

There are positives and negatives with everything.
Weed use might "open your mind."
Help with creativity. Help you make new connections.
It might also cause, or aggravate underlying mental health conditions.

It seems only reasonable that something should be done to moderate some of the worst effects of legal weed.

You are the one making claims, the burden of proof is on you.

You made a claim that anyone who smokes weed has had hallucinations etc., I am example that isn't true. Again, I don't think any intelligent person would say that weed is 100% safe for everyone 100% of the time, but it also has many positive aspects as well.

I think that people who think weed is magic and cures everything and has zero negatives are idiots. I'm not saying it should be a free for all. I think common sense regulations, no smoking before 21 (I'd support 25),and other basic things are needed and have been implemented in these cases. You seem stuck on that high THC is always a negative thing and will always cause psychoses, and the facts just don't back that up. Perhaps that isn't your opinion, but that is what you are portraying.

I never tried weed until about 2-3 years ago. No, I'm not a huge user or a stoner, but I've used it enough to have a decent understanding of it's affect on a healthy adult male. 1 does not = all, but you seem to be the only one making blanket claims on things.

I support national legalization and regulation.

~Brad
Quote Reply

Prev Next