slowguy wrote:
windywave wrote:
slowguy wrote:
windywave wrote:
slowguy wrote:
windywave wrote:
slowguy wrote:
windywave wrote:
For my firepit (the cheap one not the one I want to build) I just buy a bag of kiln dried birch at Lowes. Next year going to by an amount with Cord in the name. But if you're camping do you cut down a tree? It would seem carrying wood with you would be inefficient

If you’re actually camping, not glamping, you stomp around in your boots and pick up firewood with your hands like a grown-ass man (or woman). You might keep a small collapsible saw and maybe a hatchet with you in case there’s not a lot of wood already on the ground. If you are camping at a site where you’re located by your car and/or trailer, you bring some firewood and maybe charcoal with you.

If you’re glamping, you select from among the finest artisanally curated hardwoods, provided and certified insect free due to compassionate relocation of any native species. You then choose from various kindling options, tailored to your culinary or fireside storytelling needs.

Let's be honest I'd glamp. That said you seem to imply the cutting down of a tree. I thought uncured wood didn't burn right

No need to cut down a tree. You just find trees with good branches that can be cut off.

As far as cured wood? Most of the State of CA is on fire, and I’m pretty sure none of that wood was cured beforehand.

You don’t cut down young green wood, but there’s typically plenty of good firewood, especially around where you are in the Midwest.

So just cut branches off of a tree?

Like I said, usually there’s plenty of wood lying around on the ground. But yes, if you’re out camping and don’t see any decent wood on the ground, you might look for trees with good branches that you can cut off. Typically, when I go camping, I’m not building a giant fireplace style fire with huge logs on Re building a fire for cooking and a little heat as the sun goes down. Almost anywhere in an actual forest, you can find plenty of useable firewood.

What's the average diameter you're picking up?

Whatever’s available. You’re picking up kindling as well as whatever you need to build a good fire. I’d say probably mostly the diameter of your arm or less.

Hmm so scavenged forewood is much smaller than bought.

It really depends on where you are, and what’s available. If a good dry tree is down, and in manageable chunks, you can use it. But assuming you’re actually camping, you don’t want to try to cut down a big tree and carve it up. You also don’t want to have to carry the tools you’d need to cut down mature trees.

Firewood for fireplaces and backyard fire pits is not the same beast as firewood you gather while camping.

If you’re going to a family campsite type of place, and you want to be assured of good firewood, just bring your own.

LOL. Me camping? That's only happening if guilted into it. I was just contemplating firewood at a campsite because carrying it seems like a PITA

It can indeed be a pain in the ass to gather firewood, especially because you’ll definitely need to do it several times if you’re camping for any period of time. Then again, if you’re camping, doing things like gathering firewood are part of the experience. Builds character.

And people wonder why I prefer resorts

No character?

No need to build it

Only someone who never had to gather any firewood would think that’s true about himself.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: When Camping where does one get firewood [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
When hurricane Michael hit my area 2 years ago we lost tens of thousands of mature oak trees in the area. FEMA or someone contracted with several large companies to hire them to haul off the tree debris. They had semi trucks with trailers that had booms on them. They took them to several places, but one such place was a 200+ acre field near my house.

There, they unloaded the trees and stacked them in rows 20-30 feet high by hundreds of yards long. They had a couple of machines that ground them up into wood chips. This went on for several months, 7 days a week.

That company was from Missouri (IIRC) and had 50-60 of the trucks. If I had owned that company, I would have hired a crew to cut and split that oak firewood , set it aside and then take it back to Missouri and some western states when they were done and sell it by the cord. They probably could have made several hundred thousand dollars off of the oak.

I've still got some oak trees that I need to take down in my wooded lot, but I haven't gotten to them yet. I'll cut them up and offer it as free firewood for anyone who has already burned what they had from the storm.

So, Windy. If you need some firewood - stop by my house on your way to the woods. I'll fix you up.

That wood can also be repurposed into flooring. Authentic barn wood flooring isn’t cheap.
Quote Reply
Re: When Camping where does one get firewood [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow! Windy you sound so naive and sheltered. I would expect those Qs from my 6 year old grandson, not from a grown up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Home fire pit/fireplace I have a pile delivered. Most campgrounds around here don’t let you bring outside wood, so I’ll just get the bundles there and add whatever I find near our site.

We were camping once and the guy next to us had a bunch of cut up pallets in his truck that he used for firewood. Said he took them from work and cut them at home since he thought it was a ripoff to pay for wood.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
If I'm in your neck of the woods I'm going to the beach or fishing with dynamite

Why is oak such good firewood?

It burns clean and hot. Not a big deal for a campfire, but more important for a fireplace. You don't get all of the tar and resins in your flue from oak. People who burn oak only don't need to have their chimneys cleaned as often - if ever.
Quote Reply
Re: When Camping where does one get firewood [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wood pallets make the best beach bonfires. We used to do that all the time back in high school.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
For my firepit (the cheap one not the one I want to build) I just buy a bag of kiln dried birch at Lowes. Next year going to by an amount with Cord in the name. But if you're camping do you cut down a tree? It would seem carrying wood with you would be inefficient

WHOA... I did not read this entire thread.. but Since I know recently you have vacationed in Michigan, I will tell you DONT LISTEN TO THESE FOLKS..

You can't take wood, growing or laying on the ground, from state land, and most private owners also will get very made. So yes, here in Michigan, you will see folks taking it with them, from trees that were felled in their neighborhood. You will also find folks selling it along the side of the road, or you can buy it at many stores, most campgrounds sell it for a lot. (relative term, since your typically buying a little). IF your buying several cords for home, load some in vehicle before heading camping, if you want it cheap and your coming to Michigan.

And Yes, the DNR will ticket you if your caught in the woods, taking wood.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
[

Why is oak such good firewood?

Really any hardwood is good for burning, its more dense, burns hotter and longer. soft wood is good for kindling burns easy and fast.

Just Triing
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: When Camping where does one get firewood [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
You can't take wood, growing or laying on the ground, from state land, and most private owners also will get very made

Seriously? If you're camping, it's illegal to gather wood from what's lying around?

That's ridiculous.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Re: When Camping where does one get firewood [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seriously? If you're camping, it's illegal to gather wood from what's lying around?

---
Many campgrounds have very clear, posted rules that forbid campers from gathering wood from the surrounding forest for campfires. There's typically a reason about building humus and managing local nutrients. This also gives them a business opportunity to sell you wood from their camp store.

Some state run facilities allow for gathering of local wood, but from only dead/ fallen trees. Cutting of live trees is forbidden.

No states allow for a camper to bring wood in from outside a specific radius, tending to be around 50 miles. This is to manage the spread of insect-borne diseases and damage.

Windy- If you are buying wood for your backyard firepit, buy a face cord and have it delivered. Stack it somewhere and enjoy. If you are actually camping, then there will likely be a bunch of local people with driveway wood stacks that you can buy for $3-5, which tend to give you enough for 1-2 days worth of campfires

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: When Camping where does one get firewood [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:

---
Many campgrounds have very clear, posted rules that forbid campers from gathering wood from the surrounding forest for campfires. There's typically a reason about building humus and managing local nutrients. This also gives them a business opportunity to sell you wood from their camp store.

Some state run facilities allow for gathering of local wood, but from only dead/ fallen trees. Cutting of live trees is forbidden.

No states allow for a camper to bring wood in from outside a specific radius, tending to be around 50 miles. This is to manage the spread of insect-borne diseases and damage.

Windy- If you are buying wood for your backyard firepit, buy a face cord and have it delivered. Stack it somewhere and enjoy. If you are actually camping, then there will likely be a bunch of local people with driveway wood stacks that you can buy for $3-5, which tend to give you enough for 1-2 days worth of campfires

Man, the land of Teddy Roosevelt has fallen so far.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Re: When Camping where does one get firewood [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
windywave wrote:

WHOA... I did not read this entire thread.. but Since I know recently you have vacationed in Michigan, I will tell you DONT LISTEN TO THESE FOLKS..

You can't take wood, growing or laying on the ground, from state land, and most private owners also will get very made. So yes, here in Michigan, you will see folks taking it with them, from trees that were felled in their neighborhood. You will also find folks selling it along the side of the road, or you can buy it at many stores, most campgrounds sell it for a lot. (relative term, since your typically buying a little). IF your buying several cords for home, load some in vehicle before heading camping, if you want it cheap and your coming to Michigan.

And Yes, the DNR will ticket you if your caught in the woods, taking wood.

Well I was at a resort so wasn't an issue last time but thanks for the heads up.
Quote Reply
Re: When Camping where does one get firewood [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harbinger wrote:
Wow! Windy you sound so naive and sheltered. I would expect those Qs from my 6 year old grandson, not from a grown up.

Maybe, but if you ever need help navigating around Chicago's projects, Windy is your man.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Quote:
You can't take wood, growing or laying on the ground, from state land, and most private owners also will get very made

That's ridiculous.

Maybe I'm not so dumb for asking
Quote Reply
Re: When Camping where does one get firewood [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harbinger wrote:

Snark just but you in the ass
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Quote:

That's ridiculous.

I never said you were dumb. Maybe sheltered and soft....

I have never, in all my life, gone camping and not picked up firewood off the ground.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
windywave wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Quote:

That's ridiculous.

Truth
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Quote:

That's ridiculous.

I guess it depends on your perspective, campground has 100 sites, if each site took down a tree, or several branches, would not be long till there was not much woods around. But yes, if its state land, take only pictures, leave only footsteps.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like Dave said it is a take only pictures philosophy. If every camper who went to a campground cleared deadwood then there would be no deadwood left.

Backcountry is a whole different story though. But even so at popular backcountry sites I will try to go a bit far afield to gather deadwood.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
windywave wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Quote:

That's ridiculous.

I have never, in all my life, gone camping and not picked up firewood off the ground.

Well, where do you camp? how many sites? how many acres is the park? How spread out are the sites?

I mean I could see if its some camping on isle royal with 36 sites and 206.7 square miles. But if your at D.H. Day campground with 86 sites in about 30acres. the woods would get picked clean pretty fast.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:

---

Man, the land of Teddy Roosevelt has fallen so far.

Yea, in Texas it is an up to $500 fine if caught gathering firewoodin park - so I gathered from outside park - I ain't buying firewood. In WI gathering within parks is cool - but one can not bring wood into park from more than 50 miles away (because of invasive insect and fungal infestations)
Quote Reply

Prev Next