Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fish tales with BLeP
Quote | Reply
So I am currently in Algonquin Park. For some reason I have a cell signal. My buddy is out fishing and I am cold, so not fishing.

Yesterday I hooked into my best fish ever. Just threw out a Mepps at the bottom of some rapids and I felt a tug. Not a big tug mind you. I didn’t do a great job of setting the hook. I think that he took the lure and started swimming right at me.

Anyway it was barely fighting so my assumption was that I was a pike. Then it swam right by me but I didn’t get a good look at it. It looked long and thin so again I assumed a 3 lb pike. Then it decided to go for a run and nearly ripped the rod out of my hands (tension was way too high (I think my son was playing with it and I fogmrgot to check it)). Anyway he didn’t go far because of the tension.

At that point I was completely confused at to what it was. No way a 3lb pike nearly rips my rod out of my hands.

Then the fucker jumped. Now I have seen 4 lb smallies before but this behemoth dwarfed those guys.

Unfortunately he spat the hook out and I didn’t get him but I sure got a good look at this thing and I have never seen a small mouth so big.

Both of us were completely shocked at how large this fish was. And both are very pissed that I didn’t land it.

Anyway my guess is about a 6 lb smallmouth and that it about as big as they get around these parts.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Fish tales with BLeP [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here’s a fish that I did catch. What’s so special you ask? That’s just a small largemouth.

That is true. But I have been fishing in this system for 15 years. There are no largemouth in this system.

Well apparently there are now.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a Mexican joint near me called "Los Amigos." It's pretty good. I especially like their Corn Chowder, it's loaded with jalapenos. Donna and I were having dinner there one evening. Two guys were eating at a table behind me and to the right, well within earshot of both of us. Apparently one had just returned from a fishing trip - Bermuda, I think. He was telling his tablemate that one day, IN ONE DAY, he caught about 20 bonefish. Well, his friend countered with "50 bluefish in 24 hours off Sea Isle."

And so ...

1st Guy: I caught a 6 foot blue shark off Sea Isle
2nd Guy: I caught an 8 foot tiger shark in Cancun
Me: Donna, I don't think that they have tiger sharks in Cancun!!!
1st Guy: I caught a 12 foot white marlin near Puerto Rico.
2nd Guy: I caught a black marlin, at least that big, near Aruba.
Donna: Don't black marlins live in the Pacific???
Me: No, I think they're everywhere ... You know "Florida Marlins"
1st Guy: You know, there's bigger ones than that, down near Venezuela ...
Me: Uh oh. Here it comes ...
2nd Guy: The Purple Marlin!!! Yeah, I almost had one!!! Fought it for 3 hours then it broke the line.

Donna and I just busted up. There's no such thing as a Purple Marlin!!! Now, anytime we hear some just completely BS'ing ... we just say "Purple Marlin" and be done with it.

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been camping this week in eastern Ohio. Not a fishing trip, but I got out 3 different evenings fishing for catfish.

I caught enough for dinner tonight so I'm happy. I am using a small 10' kayak to fish out of. Not a fishing kayak, just the cheapest kayak at Dick's/Field and Stream. I'm not exactly enamored with the tippiness but it is a lot of fun. Lots of stumps to navigate in the waning light, and every now and then you get the one stump just barely submerged to scare the hell out of you in the dark as you try to get off the lake in one piece.

I lost 6 different big cats this week. Not by them throwing the hooks. They just break the line. They are probably 1 - 6 on the biggest fish I have hooked. I'm using light gear so not like these are enormous, but all of them are meaty. One was definitely my fault. I saw him and got too excited, tried to bring him straight to the boat. The rest were running for cover and getting into the stumps and branches. One last night got tangled around a branch several feet under water. He was still hooked. He would splash around every now and then just to tease me. I tried to wade out to where it was tangled but the muck on the bottom was deeeeep and the branch was a good 3 feet under. So I reluctantly had to break the line and watch that little fucker go.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply