Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any lawyers on here? Need advice.
Quote | Reply
I'll try to keep this straight to the point. I'm looking for a simple recommendation on the following situation.

State of Ohio.
In 2018 I take a landscaper to small claims court (civil court) and win a judgment for present day value ~$5k.
The landscaper doesn't pay and doesn't show up to show up to a "show cause" hearing. A Civil warrant is issued.
We cant garnish his wages since he is self-employed but we put a bank attachment on some of his accounts including a safety deposit box but they resulted in us getting no money, however his safety deposit box is still restricted from his access, and he wants to get it. We also put a lien on his home.

Earlier this week I get a notice that he is filing Chapter 13 bankruptcy. He owes some money on his mortgage, a car, and our lien are all listed. There are lien avoidance sections completed for both the car and our lien, with a bunch of calculations and a final check box indicating "the entire lien is avoided".

Today I get a call from his bank asking me if it is ok to release his safety deposit box.

I would love to file a adversary proceeding in bankruptcy court for an objection to discharge the lien because I believe his original actions which led to the small claims court action was willfully malicious and fraudulent. Is it worth it? Does him filing Chapter 13 just remove the lien or also wipe out the small claims judgment we have against him? Do we have to release his safety deposit box (im guessing this depends on the answer to my previous question)?
Last edited by: jbugno: Sep 18, 20 14:10
Quote Reply
Re: Any lawyers on here? Need advice. [jbugno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not your lawyer. This is not legal advice. Talk to a lawyer.

That said, go look at what you sued him for all those years ago. Generally speaking judgments based on fraud are non-dischargeable in BK. If you alleged fraud in the lawsuit, and not just breach of contract, then the debt he owes you (and the lien securing it) should be left alone by the BK. If you didn't allege fraud in the complaint all those years ago then merely believing now that his actions were fraudulent probably won't protect you from having your judgment and lien wiped out.

But a 13 is a reorg, right? Might be different in that venue.

War is god
Last edited by: Crank: Sep 18, 20 15:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know more about collecting on a judgment than me. I’m sorry!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same caveats as Crank made.

Also, take a look at the fair market value listed for the house. If it’s too low (given current market conditions) then there may be enough equity in the house to pay off creditors who are ahead of you, while leaving some money for you.

Whether it’s worth the bother also depends on the value of your time, how angry you are, and how slow the local bankruptcy court is, among other factors.
Quote Reply