Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

A Helpful (to me at least) Article on Political Entrenchment (helps explain why Trumpers won't abandon him)
Quote | Reply
This helped me to try and understand why Don seems to be teflon and why his approval ratings have a floor in the low 40s:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/15/politics/2020-election-american-voter-worldviews/index.html

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: A Helpful (to me at least) Article on Political Entrenchment (helps explain why Trumpers won't abandon him) [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This sums it up in a nutshell...

“...the growing tendency of both Democratic and Republican voters to live among people who share their views and to consume media that reinforces their beliefs. Both of those factors mean partisans are less likely to be exposed to negative information about a president from their party, whether in their daily interactions or in what they read and see. The blinds may be especially closed for conservatives, with Fox News often registering in polls as the only news source that a majority of Republicans say they trust.“
Quote Reply
Re: A Helpful (to me at least) Article on Political Entrenchment (helps explain why Trumpers won't abandon him) [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: A Helpful (to me at least) Article on Political Entrenchment (helps explain why Trumpers won't abandon him) [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can't talk to your neighbors about it because they all agree with your views. Can't talk about it at work because that would be stupid. So that just leaves this forum to openly debate important topics. Too bad Dan keeps kicking off those on the right.

Also there is this
Quote:
"Now the parties are very clearly sorted on issues of identity politics," Schaffner says. "If you have fairly racist or sexist views you are ... very likely to be a Republican. And if you have the opposite views you are very likely to be in the Democratic Party."
which sort of increases entrenchment. The paragraph before he said what he found was that Republicans are less concerned that racism or sexism are real issues. He then equates someone how doesn't see racism as an issue to someone who is racist.
Quote Reply
Re: A Helpful (to me at least) Article on Political Entrenchment (helps explain why Trumpers won't abandon him) [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
...The paragraph before he said what he found was that Republicans are less concerned that racism or sexism are real issues. He then equates someone how doesn't see racism as an issue to someone who is racist.

Should people only care about their own issues? I say, no. A society is made of people who form a social contract to look out for each other. When you live in and enjoy the benefits of society, you have agreed to these terms. You need to care about issues that impact others.
Last edited by: CallMeMaybe: Sep 18, 20 13:06
Quote Reply
Re: A Helpful (to me at least) Article on Political Entrenchment (helps explain why Trumpers won't abandon him) [CallMeMaybe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is a wonderful ethos. We should all look out for each other and each other's issues.

Let's consider the issue and harm when people are accused of racism when they are instead just indifferent to the plight of minorities and under the believe that we are in a post-racial America.
Quote Reply
Re: A Helpful (to me at least) Article on Political Entrenchment (helps explain why Trumpers won't abandon him) [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
Too bad Dan keeps kicking off those on the right.

Quote:

who specifically from the right has been kicked off?

were they kicked off for their views, or for providing false information (which is not a view in a civilized discussion) or for being over the top rude and disrespectful to others?

I actually greatly appreciate thoughtful views from the right, but sadly they are hard to come by in these days of pure belief politics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
That is a wonderful ethos. We should all look out for each other and each other's issues.

Let's consider the issue and harm when people are accused of racism when they are instead just indifferent to the plight of minorities and under the believe that we are in a post-racial America.

I remember discussing with a friend teaching our boys (they are the same age) empathy. She didn’t really want to interfere with her son’s natural emotional responses to things. I was like, “fuck that.” I told my son when he was 2 and 3 that he should feel bad when other people are hurt. That was a rule. I expressed concern and sadness when he was hurt. I tried to make his hurt go away. We have a duty to care in society.

There is indifference and there is feeling threatened by scarcity, too. Sometimes we think that resources are so limited that if we are generous there won’t be enough for ourselves.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
You can't talk to your neighbors about it because they all agree with your views. Can't talk about it at work because that would be stupid. So that just leaves this forum to openly debate important topics. Too bad Dan keeps kicking off those on the right.

Also there is this
Quote:
"Now the parties are very clearly sorted on issues of identity politics," Schaffner says. "If you have fairly racist or sexist views you are ... very likely to be a Republican. And if you have the opposite views you are very likely to be in the Democratic Party."
which sort of increases entrenchment. The paragraph before he said what he found was that Republicans are less concerned that racism or sexism are real issues. He then equates someone how doesn't see racism as an issue to someone who is racist.

Yes, now you’re getting it

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply