Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What do trump detractors think are the three best things trump has done while in office?
Quote | Reply
Go!
Last edited by: oldandslow: Sep 18, 20 7:52
Quote Reply
Re: What do trump detractors think are the three best things trump has done while in office? [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) he has educated a lot of the public about government process, and the necessities of the government. More people now see the importance of the government.
2) he has shown the the USA government needs a lot more safeguards. Political norms/ethics dont mean anything.
3) made clear the GOP is full of shit when it comes to a lot of things. National debt. Moral integrity. Doesnt actually know how to govern.

Policy/etc.
1. Killing abu bakr
2. Space force. I dont really think this was needed. But I like extra money for science.
3. prison reform.

Biggest policy issues i have:
1. lowering the threshold for SC justices. I had a big problem when obama lowered it for other judges. We need to have middle of the road judges.
2. Tax reform. Just is a mess long term that favored the wealthy.
3. covid.

I am financially conservative / socially liberal. So I do not line up well with trump at all.
Last edited by: sosayusall: Sep 18, 20 8:02
Quote Reply
Re: What do trump detractors think are the three best things trump has done while in office? [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

He hasn't gotten us into any stupid wars.....yet.

Honestly, I went looking for a list of accomplishments, and I ran into two problems: 1) The vast majority listed are related directly to the economy, which was doing well before he got into office, and artificially propped up while he was in. 2) After 4 years of constant lying, and have to ignore everything that comes from his administration.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First Step Act (criminal justice reform)
Killing of al-Baghdadi
Persuading Mexico to tighten its own southern border
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Go!

1. Underscored the importance of the role career civil servants (State, USPS, intelligence, etc.) play in a functioning government.
  2. Trained a klieg light on the continuing racial and economic inequities in the U.S.
  3. Inspired a new generation of young, diverse POC to run for office.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) The concept of “country over party” is huge right now. I have been too defensive of Democrat policies and politicians in the past.

Looking forward, I will view both parties (and third party candidates) as my frenemies. Like never before, I have put our constitutional principles at the center of my focus, and I intend to keep them there. I want to be vigilant and jealously guard our constitutional rights against both Dems and GOP because authoritarianism can come from both sides.

2) I’ve been thinking a lot about people I know who are kind and generous on a personal level but are cold-hearted and stingy in the bigger scheme of things (concerning equality & other benefits of society, like equal access to housing and education).

Is it better to remain friends with them? Does the friendship exist because I’m privileged (white, straight, middle class)? Am I enabling them by accepting their racist or classist views that don’t impact me directly because they’re nice to me, although not others? What is my moral position?

3) Related to No. 2, our country needs to know that our government serves everyone. That unity requires reconciliation between MAGA fuckwits and neverTrumpers. I see the need for assurances of unity and inclusiveness. I’m not yet mature enough to know how to do it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) normalising relations between Israel and UAE
2) urging more US based manufacturing to offset reliance on China
3) compelling people who ordinarily could care less to take a stand on policy, issues, initiatives
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironically the best things Trump has done is transform the Democrats in some important ways -- mostly through the transitive power of "what my enemy hates I love".

1.) The Dems are now much more openly supportive of free trade than ever before.
2.) The Dems are now much more openly supportive of immigration than ever before.
3.) The tax cut. The final rates don't bring in enough, but the long term efficiency changes were worth it IMO.

Note: I'd gladly take off #3 -- Trump himself wouldn't know a tax efficiency consideration if it bit him on the ass -- if Trump can transition the Dems to be in favor of getting rid of zoning restrictions on building homes by his admin's recent support for zoning restrictions of building homes. (Probably too little, too late on this one)
Last edited by: SH: Sep 18, 20 8:38
Quote Reply
Re: What do trump detractors think are the three best things trump has done while in office? [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
1.) The Dems are now much more openly supportive of free trade than ever before.
2.) The Dems are now much more openly supportive of immigration than ever before.
3.) The tax cut. The final rates don't bring in enough, but the long term efficiency changes were worth it IMO.

Umm, not agreeing with either of the first two items. The Dems have long been split between the moderate wing ("Clintonian New Dems") and the liberal wing ("Bernie"). There has always been a battle between protectionism and free trade in the Dem party (see Gephardt). Since Clinton and up through Obama, the free trade faction has been much stronger (with small concerns about labor practices and other aspects). The Dems have also ranged immigration, with the left far more adamant about open borders, and moderates looking for a more comprehensive plan of sticter border controls and a path to citizenship. Obama's deportation policies was roundly criticized by the far left, while being accepted by the middle as a quixotic (and failed) attempt to find a single Republican who could back comprehensive reform. Eventually DACA was approved as an EO. The more pragmatic path forward for Dems will be to admit that no Republican will ever support comprehensive immigration reform, and just go it alone with multiple smaller steps.

The Tax cut. Reforming and reducing the marginal corporate rate was a good idea, but the entire implementation was a fail on so many other fronts, most especially with the deficit and expanded spending and double taxation and temporary tax cuts and .... (IMHO).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a supporter, but I do think that opening links between the UAE, Bahrain and Israel is significant for the region, and irrespective of his input, it has happened on his watch, so it is a hat tip from me for the regions stability.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Real answers...

He authorized the operation to take out Al Baghdadi. It might have been questionable circumstances, and I am not entirely thrilled with how it went down, but that scum bag POS needed to go.

He signed the animal cruelty bill into law. Oddly enough I was kinda annoyed at a republican seemingly overreaching on something that should be a states rights thing, but the sentiment of the law itself was a good one

I can't think of a third thing, but I'll update this thread if I do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whytrumpisgreat.com

This says it all

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply