Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: US Gov’t to ban TikTok & WeChat from Appstore [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
<tinfoil hat> the real reason that the administration wants to limit TikTok or force its sale to a US company isn't to prevent China from collecting data on Americans, but so the NSA/HHS/FBI (pick your acronym) can collect data on American users. They don't have their hooks in it now, which is why they missed the Tulsa rally attendance fiasco. </tinfoil hat>

This is more or less what I said in post #15. My follow up about Messenger was intended to mean that there's no diff between what TikTok and Messenger collect....except who gets the data...

People were up in arms about the COVID app the gov't tried to launch - privacy, blah blah... read the T&C on Messenger before you install, it's horrifying what people give up... and if you don't believe it have a conversation in a room with a phone with Messenger installed in it... then, later, check FB on a completely different device and pay attention to the ads... it listens to everything.
Quote Reply
Re: US Gov’t to ban TikTok & WeChat from Appstore [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
windywave wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
windywave wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
windywave wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
windywave wrote:
So the principle underlying this debacle is sound but the execution is stupid.

Just ban the fucking app and be done with it. All of this bullshit dancing around sell it but not completely is just a waste of time and resources

So you're for censorship of the app since it comes from China?

Censorship is the wrong word but I am in favor of limiting the PRC from getting significant amount of data on Americans and getting access to people's phones and/or networks.

So then you aren't in favour of this particular order.

It doesn't ban TikTok or Wechat from operating in the US. What it does is prevent Apple, Google and others from making the app available for download or offering updates in the US, but the existing 100 million US users of the app can continue to use it.

Yes I believe I was abundantly clear when I said and i quote "Just ban the fucking app and be done with it. "

just checking. so you agree that they don't actually think that TikTok is a security risk that needs to be mitigated, at this point in time (or else they would have done what you are saying).

That is not what I said at all.

What I said was "Just ban the fucking app and be done with it."

See the difference?

sorry typo.....the s and d are next to each other.

Do you agree that they don't actually think that TikTok is a security risk that needs to be mitigated, at this point in time (or else they would have done what you are saying)

I don't know nor do I care what they think. The amount of energy spent on this is stupid.

I agree.

Have a virtual beer on me..

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: US Gov’t to ban TikTok & WeChat from Appstore [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
chaparral wrote:

Actually, the order says in November that the apps will no longer be able to communicate. Does not really explain how that is supposed to happen, but the plan is clearly so that users cannot use it in the future.

https://www.cbc.ca/...YMnp-ZbGSGcD46Ulqp5w

The Commerce Department will not seek to compel people in the United States to remove the apps or stop using them but will not allow updates or new downloads. "We are aiming at a top corporate level. We're not going to go out after the individual users," one Commerce official said.

Over time, officials said, the lack of updates will degrade the apps' usability.

Read the full order here.

See what is banned after November 12th. Basically nobody in the US can communicate with that AP or allow communication with that app. The app will not be able to function after November 12 according to this order.

read it.

Page 7
"The identified prohibitions herein only apply to the parties to business-to-business transactions...."

users will still be able to use it.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Re: US Gov’t to ban TikTok & WeChat from Appstore [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
chaparral wrote:
Bretom wrote:
chaparral wrote:
CallMeMaybe wrote:
chaparral wrote:
So now China is just going to have buy this data from an America company?

Buy the data? You mean “buy” the data.

Well, I am just saying there is a totally legal way to get this data. This whole thing is in bad faith, it has nothing to do with actual national security. If they were actually concerned about national security with regards to data collected by apps, they would have to actually create data privacy laws that address that. But instead they do dumb political virtue signalling like trump is doing with tik tok.

Meh. Laws can be broken. If you're concerned about data collection by apps, privacy laws are a fine place to start. If you're particularly concerned about data collection by Chinese apps banning them's cleaner. Then we can turn back to legislating for US companies.

But claiming that this is about national security is BS, because this does not address the national security concerns.

Well it addresses a tiny bit of national security concerns, just as Huawei is maybe a larger slice. But playing whack-a-mole with every company out there is ridiculous and ineffective - except for scoring political points.

But the reality is that a comprehensive security reform will be painful to people in the U.S. and no politician - Trump or otherwise - would risk that before an election.

I mean consider Zoom right now. Owned by a Chinese-American, and they have a large workforce in mainland China. Are they secure from the Chinese government? Doubtful. But banning them right now during the covid work-from-home situation would set off a firestorm of complaints. And that's just one company.

It does not address any national security concerns. It is basically claiming this fences keeps some people out:

If the Chinese government can just legally buy the data anyway, what is the point?

This is a hard and complicated problem that requires actual thought to address. This does not address the actual issues, this just pretends to address the issues. While setting up all sorts of horrible precedents. So basically the worst way to deal with this.
Quote Reply
Re: US Gov’t to ban TikTok & WeChat from Appstore [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
chaparral wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
chaparral wrote:

Actually, the order says in November that the apps will no longer be able to communicate. Does not really explain how that is supposed to happen, but the plan is clearly so that users cannot use it in the future.

https://www.cbc.ca/...YMnp-ZbGSGcD46Ulqp5w

The Commerce Department will not seek to compel people in the United States to remove the apps or stop using them but will not allow updates or new downloads. "We are aiming at a top corporate level. We're not going to go out after the individual users," one Commerce official said.

Over time, officials said, the lack of updates will degrade the apps' usability.

Read the full order here.

See what is banned after November 12th. Basically nobody in the US can communicate with that AP or allow communication with that app. The app will not be able to function after November 12 according to this order.

read it.

Page 7
"The identified prohibitions herein only apply to the parties to business-to-business transactions...."

users will still be able to use it.

How following those rules would your ISP be able to talk to the tik tok servers? I don't think most people consider "the app opens with no new content" to be "still be able to use it."
Quote Reply
Re: US Gov’t to ban TikTok & WeChat from Appstore [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:
CallMeMaybe wrote:
What is WeChat? I just downloaded it.

It's basically Chinese Facebook that allows you to pay for everything in China. Nobody in the USA would use it except for people wanting to chat with people in China. There really isn't any national security reason to ban it because hardly anyone uses it except for people who have relatives in China.

It's also used to transfer money in-app. "Families" in the U.S. send and receive money to "family members" in China.
Quote Reply
Re: US Gov’t to ban TikTok & WeChat from Appstore [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paragraph 1 refers to distributing the app

paragraph 2 refers to hosting services, e.g. a website or fileshare host.

paragraph 3 refers to "content delivery network services" which are defined in the order as "a service that copies, saves, and delivers content, for a fee, from geographically dispersed servers to end-users for the purposes of enabling faster delivery of content." So you can't have them in the US, but tiktok could have a bank of them in Mexico or Canada.

4 refers to "directly contracted or arranged" internet transit services. So doesn't apply to general internet traffic. I interpret that as more to do with giving preferential bandwidth specifically for tiktok traffic, or providing VPN services for tiktok servers to relay data.

5. means that you can't use the tiktok app itself, but that only applies to B2B transactions. the ISP isn't using the application code or functions to transport the data.

The order goes on to say that the order does not apply to

The exchange between or among TikTok mobile application users of personal or business information using the TikTok mobile application; or

The storing of TikTok mobile application user data in the United States.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Sep 18, 20 12:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
It addresses exactly one.

Why are you such a fucking douche all the time?

3 points
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Paragraph 1 refers to distributing the app

paragraph 2 refers to hosting services, e.g. a website or fileshare host.

paragraph 3 refers to "content delivery network services" which are defined in the order as "a service that copies, saves, and delivers content, for a fee, from geographically dispersed servers to end-users for the purposes of enabling faster delivery of content." So you can't have them in the US, but tiktok could have a bank of them in Mexico or Canada.

4 refers to "directly contracted or arranged" internet transit services. So doesn't apply to general internet traffic. I interpret that as more to do with giving preferential bandwidth specifically for tiktok traffic, or providing VPN services for tiktok servers to relay data.

5. means that you can't use the tiktok app itself, but that only applies to B2B transactions. the ISP isn't using the application code or functions to transport the data.

The order goes on to say that the order does not apply to

The exchange between or among TikTok mobile application users of personal or business information using the TikTok mobile application; or

The storing of TikTok mobile application user data in the United States.

I think the key here is that if tik tok can update the app by Sunday to contact servers outside the US (and obviously not owned by a US company which may be the biggest issue) it could still function. But is going to be tricky if the app can't be updated and of course putting ads on it will be very tricky.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
windywave wrote:
spudone wrote:
It addresses exactly one.

Why are you such a fucking douche all the time?

3 points

Every time I unblock him it takes him all of 1 post for me to regret it.

Don't block him. His level of crazy combined with harmlessness is amusing
Quote Reply

Prev Next