Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

MAGA! ICE hysterectomies, lost kids, rapes, Covid
Quote | Reply
As you know, several legal advocacy groups on Monday filed a whistleblower complaint on behalf of a nurse at an ICE detention center documenting “jarring medical neglect” within the facility, including a refusal to test detainees for the novel coronavirus and an exorbitant rate of hysterectomies being performed on immigrant women. Allegations include a lack of informed consent for the gynecological procedures.

In response to the allegations, Director of ICE Health Service Corps, Dr. Ada Rivera said in a statement Wednesday that any assertion or claim that the health, safety and welfare of detainees is not one of their highest priorities is false and intentionally misleading. Don’t even suggest an ICE failure to protect detainees! It’s impossible! MAGA!

However, one month ago, a complaint was filed with allegations contrary to Dr. Ada Rivera’s assertion regarding the priority of detainees’ health, safety and welfare. The complaint filed August 15 alleges that ICE guards have a pattern and practice of sexually assaulting immigrants at an El Paso facility. According to the allegations, ICE guards take advantage of security camera blind spots.

https://www.texastribune.org/...ness-sexual-assault/

Demonstrating the best MAGA! problem solving skills, late Monday evening the U.S. deported a crucial witness in this ongoing investigation into these allegations of sexual assault and harassment, the witness’ lawyers said. The 35-year-old woman had been held in the facility for about a year and told lawyers about the “pattern and practice” of abuse there. Problem solved, right?

https://www.texastribune.org/...ness-sexual-assault/

Last May, a federal lawsuit was filed by a Mexican woman who said she was sexually assaulted and impregnated at an immigrant detention facility in Houston hours before she was deported to Mexico.
While in ICE custody, the plaintiff said she and two other women were taken from their dorms and sequestered to a small room. The woman said three immigration officials entered the room, hit the women in the face, used brutal force and raped each of them. All three were put on a bus and deported back to Mexico within hours of the assault, according to the lawsuit. The impregnated woman is raising her daughter fathered by the ICE guard. MAGA!

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/...-before-deportation/

This summer ICE flew immigrant detainees to Virginia to facilitate the rapid deployment of Homeland Security tactical teams to Washington, using MAGA! creativity to circumvent restrictions on the use of charter flights for employee travel, according to both a current US official and a former U.S. official. After the transfer of detainees, dozens of the new arrivals tested positive for the novel coronavirus, fueling an outbreak at the Farmville, Va., immigration jail that infected more than 300 inmates, one of whom died. MAGA!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/...454439a44_story.html

ICE has been using major hotel chains to detain children and families taken into custody at the border, creating a largely unregulated shadow system of detention and swift expulsions without the safeguards that are intended to protect the most vulnerable migrants (children).

Children are being put in hotels under the supervision of transportation workers who are not licensed to provide child care. Because the hotels exist outside the formal detention system, they are not subject to policies designed to prevent abuse in federal custody or those requiring that detainees be provided access to phones, healthy food, and medical and mental health care.

Parents and lawyers have no way of finding the children or monitoring their well-being while they are in ICE custody. Searching for the children has been made nearly impossible because ICE has not assigned identification numbers that would normally allow families to track their locations in the highly regulated federal detention system. Lost kids! MAGA!

Two laws weigh heavily on the treatment of detained migrant children. The Prison Rape Elimination Act and the Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act. Neither of these protections appear to apply to the informal hotel stays.

“A transportation vendor should not be in charge of changing the diaper of a 1-year old, giving bottles to babies or dealing with the traumatic effects they might be dealing with,” said Andrew Lorenzen-Strait, another former deputy assistant director for custody management at ICE.

“I’m worried kids may be exposed to abuse, neglect, including sexual abuse, and we will have no idea,” he said.

ICE officials provided a statement explaining that workers (privately contracted) managing the hotel stays are trained in the requirements of the Prison Rape Elimination Act, but they are not contractually required to follow its rules.

The statement said company employees are instructed “extensively” on how to handle situations where detained migrants would be left particularly vulnerable in their presence, such as when the migrants are bathing or breastfeeding. It says red flags indicating potential torture or abuse could be reported to the guards, who would then share the information with ICE. But there appear to be no mechanisms for detainees to report abuse by guards, except to other guards.

An ICE spokesman said no more than two children could be housed in a hotel room at any given time, but at least one migrant teenager said he was detained overnight in a hotel room in Miami with two other young migrants and three guards.

https://www.nytimes.com/...els-coronavirus.html

MAGA, right?
Quote Reply
Re: MAGA! ICE hysterectomies, lost kids, rapes, Covid [CallMeMaybe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So much hyperbole.
Quote Reply
Re: MAGA! ICE hysterectomies, lost kids, rapes, Covid [CallMeMaybe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is very sad that something called the “Prison Rape Elimination Act” exists.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Georgia is under fire too. https://www.nbcnews.com/...ail-georgia-n1240110

Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:

It appears this was essentially an appointment of a special commission to research and provided guidance on how to prevent prison rape. Not necessarily a bad thing, but indeed sad. Now that the DOJ has guidelines and actionable items, they'll get right on this one.

Where are my All Lives Matter people at?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great write up - thank you for taking the time and thought to do this.
Last edited by: Skipjack: Sep 17, 20 8:11
Quote Reply
Re: MAGA! ICE hysterectomies, lost kids, rapes, Covid [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:

Agree. Sad we need to have it. Sad it doesn’t actually help those kids in ICE custody at hotels.

The Prison Rape Elimination Act applies to all federal correctional facilities. It criminalizes any sexual relationship between officials and inmates on the grounds that inmates cannot legally give consent.

As an aside, the Washington Post reports that laws in nearly three dozen states (35 states, I think) allow police officers to argue that sexual contact with those in custody was consensual and that their standing as an officer is essentially a non-factor in the alleged sexual assaults. That’s crazy to me.

I think we should all agree that, as a matter of law, law enforcement cannot obtain consent from someone in custody. Consent requires capacity to understand options and have the ability to freely chose one. Being in custody carries a certain powerlessness that obviously impacts negotiations for consent.

What really kills me is the indignant response to allegations of mistreatment by ICE—as though the claims are so far-fetched they cannot possibly be true.

I have no idea if the claims are true, but looking around our society and seeing and hearing the reports of abuse of power, rape and mistreatment in homes, at work, by police and politicians, at schools, in sports, we know it happens!
Quote Reply
Re: MAGA! ICE hysterectomies, lost kids, rapes, Covid [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:

This is the same story regarding the ICE detention center with allegations of poor medical treatment, including unnecessary or unwanted hysterectomies. It looks like ICE contracted with a local Georgia doctor to perform gynecological care for detainees.

The article you linked notes that the Southern Poverty Law Center is one of the organizations supporting the women making the claims. That organization has been around forever and is reputable. They obviously do not provide a guarantee to us that the allegations are true, but they historically have done quality work. I’ve never heard of a scandal with them.
Quote Reply
Re: MAGA! ICE hysterectomies, lost kids, rapes, Covid [Skipjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skipjack wrote:
Great write up - thank you for taking the time and thought to do this.

Thank you for reading it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CallMeMaybe wrote:

What really kills me is the indignant response to allegations of mistreatment by ICE—as though the claims are so far-fetched they cannot possibly be true.

General mistreatment doesn't surprise me at all. I went through a general "penology" reading phase and read dozens of books written by inmates and correctional officers about what goes on. All sorts of misconduct. It's a brutal, low-status, often low-paying job to be a CO, and there's a huge problem with misconduct by them in even normal prisons and jails.

IPrison rape isn't nearly as prevalent as you might expect from movies and popular humor, but it certainly exists.

And though I completely agree with you that any sex between inmates (or detainees) and correctional officers is non-consensual, in the tougher adult prisons, sex is often used as a tool to gain control over a correctional officer. Once you've compromised the officer and gained leverage over them on a fire-able offense you can then get other favors - like getting drugs into the prison, etc.

But that all depends on the inmates/detainees having access to independent due process. U.S. citizen inmates have a legal right to protected communications with legal counsel. If that avenue of reporting misconduct doesn't exist and you have to report directly to "guards" that's a problem.

The hysterectomy stuff is disturbing. I just can't imagine any licensed Dr. messing around with informed consent. I hope it's not true, or somehow exaggerated. But worth an investigation because it's barbaric if substantially true. And that sort of thing is not absent in U.S. history.
Last edited by: trail: Sep 17, 20 9:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CallMeMaybe wrote:
travelmama wrote:

This is the same story regarding the ICE detention center with allegations of poor medical treatment, including unnecessary or unwanted hysterectomies. It looks like ICE contracted with a local Georgia doctor to perform gynecological care for detainees.

The article you linked notes that the Southern Poverty Law Center is one of the organizations supporting the women making the claims. That organization has been around forever and is reputable. They obviously do not provide a guarantee to us that the allegations are true, but they historically have done quality work. I’ve never heard of a scandal with them.

I've heard the SPLC has become politicized and is no longer above reproach. Like the logic goes here: they've made false claims before so we know it can happen.
That doesn't mean the allegations are false, or that this particular article is false. It just means that SPLC has spread lies before so... So now you've heard.

I'm keeping an open mind as we go forward, and hoping for the best.
Quote Reply
Re: MAGA! ICE hysterectomies, lost kids, rapes, Covid [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Prison rape isn't nearly as prevalent as you might expect from movies and popular humor, but it certainly exists.

And though I completely agree with you that any sex between inmates (or detainees) and correctional officers is non-consensual, in the tougher adult prisons, sex is often used as a tool to gain control over a correctional officer. Once you've compromised the officer and gained leverage over them on a fire-able offense you can then get other favors - like getting drugs into the prison, etc.

But that all depends on the inmates/detainees having access to independent due process. U.S. citizen inmates have a legal right to protected communications with legal counsel. If that avenue of reporting misconduct doesn't exist and you have to report directly to "guards" that's a problem.

With regard to the prevalence of rape of people in custody by law enforcement, I don’t get my information from movies or popular humor. The subject is so disturbing to me that I don’t enjoy jokes or movies about sexual assaults. I avoid them. But, based upon what I glean from news reports, I imagine the reluctance to report a sexual assault is as strong (if not stronger) among the population in custody as it is in the general population. So, that’s an issue.

Data obtained through FOIA requests suggests there are thousands of sexual assaults in ICE facilities. (DHS Office of Inspector General indicated that the office received some 33,000 complaints between 2010 and 2016 alleging a wide range of abuses in immigration detention. (See details regarding types of assaults & completed investigations at https://theintercept.com/...exual-abuse-ice-dhs/)

See also https://www.aclu.org/...-its-not-responsible

Local news carries stories about assaults. I’m still pissed about a San Diego police officer who allegedly sexually assaulted both arrestees and victims of crime who had called for help. He plea bargained and was sentenced last spring, but was not required to register as a sex offender despite the allegations from ~18 women. How often does sexual assault happen by law enforcement? I honestly have no clue.

I’m curious about the idea of sex being used to gain control over a guard. How often do you think inmates gain control of guards through sex? That sounds like a myth or exaggeration. Is it more likely that a guard extorts sex from an inmate or an inmate extorts something from a guard using sex? Either way, it undermines the justice system. Truth be told, guards have a higher standard of care than inmates given their roles. Guards exercise more free will. It will take some convincing for me to believe this is really a thing. (If it is a thing, the guards should be in jail anyway because it is such an egregious breach of their standard of care.)

Does any of this impact my idea that consent is not a defense to allegations of in-custody rape?

For my personal police reform plan, I’m including ending qualified immunity and passing laws to establish that consent is not a defense for in-custody assault cases.
Quote Reply
Re: MAGA! ICE hysterectomies, lost kids, rapes, Covid [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
've heard the SPLC has become politicized and is no longer above reproach. Like the logic goes here: they've made false claims before so we know it can happen.
That doesn't mean the allegations are false, or that this particular article is false. It just means that SPLC has spread lies before so... So now you've heard.

Respectfully, do you mind providing a source or subject matter for your claim that the SPLC has spread lies? No offense! : )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CallMeMaybe wrote:
SH wrote:
've heard the SPLC has become politicized and is no longer above reproach. Like the logic goes here: they've made false claims before so we know it can happen.

Respectfully, do you mind providing a source or subject matter for your claim that the SPLC has spread lies? No offense! : )

This is a good read.

https://www.tabletmag.com/...ers-to-smear-machine
Quote Reply
Re: MAGA! ICE hysterectomies, lost kids, rapes, Covid [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
svennn wrote:
CallMeMaybe wrote:
SH wrote:

This is a good read.

https://www.tabletmag.com/...ers-to-smear-machine

Yea theres a pretty clear history of instances where they had to walk themselves back, issue apologies, and or pay out large sums. Listing people hateful extremists, while commendable, comes with a great deal of responsibility, and it seems theyve gotten a bit careless and lost favor with number of people. I mean an office shooter did claim them as his motivation.
Quote Reply