Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lung recovery post Covid
Quote | Reply
Potentially good news. Obviously very early and part of an ongoing trial. But this technology seems to help patients recover lung function after being on a mech vent.

https://innovationorigins.com/...-on-their-own-again/
Quote Reply
Re: Lung recovery post Covid [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My dissertation looked at electrical stimulation of paralyzed muscle in persons with spinal cord injuries. Always interested when someone finds a way to put electrical stimulation of muscle to good use.
Quote Reply
Re: Lung recovery post Covid [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
My dissertation looked at electrical stimulation of paralyzed muscle in persons with spinal cord injuries. Always interested when someone finds a way to put electrical stimulation of muscle to good use.

Agreed. We did a lot in grad school as well. Motor nerve stimulation post stroke or SCI was very beneficial. Not this feel good estim crap, or shocking your muscles for recovery.
Quote Reply
Re: Lung recovery post Covid [Yeeper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

Agreed. We did a lot in grad school as well. Motor nerve stimulation post stroke or SCI was very beneficial. Not this feel good estim crap, or shocking your muscles for recovery.

Once or twice I've tried to engage with a guy in the main forum pushing it for this or that, and quickly realized he was a salesman who didn't really understand the physiology, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you saying that sticking electrodes on your abs won't give you a 6-pack? Shocking! (pun intended)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
Are you saying that sticking electrodes on your abs won't give you a 6-pack? Shocking! (pun intended)

bullshit! it worked for this guy!

Quote Reply
Re: Lung recovery post Covid [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Side effects may include shitty hair.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:

Oh it can work, but typically it becomes painful to get to the sort of electrical current levels* and muscle forces necessary to effectively strengthen and cause hypertrophy (unless the muscle is highly deconditioned). E.g. Most of my work has been with the quadriceps muscles and most people can't even tolerate 50% of their max force generating ability with electrical stimulation, less force than you would even just use to warm with in the gym. My take on it is, if you can strengthen voluntarily there's very little reason to use electrical stimulation to do so.

*Most commercially available electrical stimulators limit the maximum current so people don't hurt themselves, so they are often not even capable of eliciting the sort of high forces necessary for strengthening/hypertrophy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you one of those jerks who recruit participants and do muscle biopsies? I got caught once...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
Are you one of those jerks who recruit participants and do muscle biopsies? I got caught once...

No, I generally just hurt people with electrical stimulation, although now doing blood flow restriction in conjunction with estim, so it's a new kind of hurt.
Quote Reply
Re: Lung recovery post Covid [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

orphious wrote:
Francois wrote:

bullshit! it worked for this guy!

i'm pretty sure that's liposculpture. Big square blobs of flubber
Quote Reply