Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Do you think the CDC is lying to make the numbers look bad, or do you think some politicians/media are lying to make the numbers look good? [beatle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, it's my job (I direct a biomedical data science lab at a school I can't name, but we invented gatorade ;-) ) and right now we have a lot of projects on COVID-19 so I'm looking at the data constantly (and it's worrisome, and tiring).
Quote Reply
Re: Do you think the CDC is lying to make the numbers look bad, or do you think some politicians/media are lying to make the numbers look good? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll only address #2 and #3 (and I think you should relax...this is just a conversation)

#2: yes, more people under the age of 20 and likely a much higher age, but I havent gone into those numbers as I was focusing on kids, die from the flu so far. Why no masks then? I bet if you remove comorbities it is even more stark.

#3 I am not using whataboutisms. It seems you think that a lockdown only has positives but that is simply not true. You are likely a well off upper middle class or better. Be thankful for what you have. Many do not have such luxuries.
Covis is an issue. I think the response is wrong. It should be more nuanced. Older and more at risk: stay at home, etc. I have no real problem with wearing a mask, in fact, I think it is reasonable during every flu season. What about the small business owner who is not making any money? Whelp, first expense to go is health care insurance. Now he gets some disease...Do you see how these issues are complicated?
Last edited by: beatle: Jul 17, 20 7:36
Quote Reply
Re: Do you think the CDC is lying to make the numbers look bad, or do you think some politicians/media are lying to make the numbers look good? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
Well, it's my job (I direct a biomedical data science lab at a school I can't name, but we invented gatorade ;-) ) and right now we have a lot of projects on COVID-19 so I'm looking at the data constantly (and it's worrisome, and tiring).[/quote

You are proving great information here. I appreciate it. I am looking to learn more and as I do, my views will likely change. As of right now, I still can't understand why we do not have a more nuanced approach.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you think the CDC is lying to make the numbers look bad, or do you think some politicians/media are lying to make the numbers look good? [beatle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We need a region dependent approach (and the size of the region may vary too). The response in NYC shouldn't be the same response as a small town in Montana for instance.
But what we absolutely need is true leadership with folks who listen to scientists instead of undermining them, and who trust their work to take it to policy makers and decision-makers, in order to ensure that what we know translates well into actionable decisions that are appropriate for each location.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you think the CDC is lying to make the numbers look bad, or do you think some politicians/media are lying to make the numbers look good? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
We need a region dependent approach (and the size of the region may vary too). The response in NYC shouldn't be the same response as a small town in Montana for instance.
But what we absolutely need is true leadership with folks who listen to scientists instead of undermining them, and who trust their work to take it to policy makers and decision-makers, in order to ensure that what we know translates well into actionable decisions that are appropriate for each location.

I completely agree. Thanks again.

edit*: forgot to add the deaths for those 9 people under 20 years old is in a state with a population of 7 million.
Last edited by: beatle: Jul 17, 20 7:33
Quote Reply

Prev Next