Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone know how to change a lightbulb?
Quote | Reply
I consider myself a pretty handy guy. I have been unable, so far, to figure out how to change bulbs on these fixtures without breaking the bulb. Anyone have these and know how to access them?

It's a recessed ceiling light fixture. The metal ring doesn't seem to spin or move. The glass cover (frosted circle with clear circle inside) will move up and out off the way a little, but there's not enough room to move it far enough to remove the bulb without also breaking the bulb.

I'd appreciate any tips.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know how to change a lightbulb? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Typically those LED (retro fit?) will have two spring loaded clips on the trim. Kind of like two little mouse traps.

Gently pull the trim down about half an inch until you see the clips. Then push the clips inward and you should be able to pull the trim.

Not sure if that is a “gu” type bulb with two pins that lock or one with a standard thread.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maurice is correct: those trims *will* pull down.

Stop being so gentle! You won't break it! (Probably...)
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know how to change a lightbulb? [jkstevens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's nowhere to grip to pull down from the outside, absent jamming a screwdriver or something up there and damaging the ceiling. I'll try pushing the glass out of the way on the inside and see if I can get a grip to pull downward from the inside.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
There's nowhere to grip to pull down from the outside, absent jamming a screwdriver or something up there and damaging the ceiling. I'll try pushing the glass out of the way on the inside and see if I can get a grip to pull downward from the inside.

Go to your local Home Depot and get yourself a set of these for $7. The middle two are exactly what you need in this situation.

-------------
"Life is fragile - we are all just a slip or a car crash away from being a very different person."
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know how to change a lightbulb? [drew_235] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drew_235 wrote:
slowguy wrote:

Go to your local Home Depot and get yourself a set of these for $7. The middle two are exactly what you need in this situation.

Gotta grab me a set of these. Didn't know, and we have recessed fixtures everywhere also.

Good luck slowguy. I hate electricity, I cower when I have to change even bulbs. I did change a chandelier once...never again. Surprised it works and is still hanging.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maurice has it right. Sometimes you might have to twist the lens a quarter turn to the left once you've pulled it down to lock the clips into position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never seen one that required the use of a tool to grab it and pull it down. Are you sure you can't push on the sides a little so it flexes and grab it?

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On second look, is that in a shower?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkstevens wrote:
On second look, is that in a shower?

No. Ceiling in the kitchen and bathrooms, but not in the shower itself.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok. Shower trims can be a little more tricky.

This shouldn't be too difficult, once you get the hang of it - but pain in the ass until you do.

You should be able to poke your fingers up into the center of the trim to grab it (somewhat) and pull it down. The springs are pretty stiff on those small trims, so it will act similar to a "cam": it will seem super tough until you reach the break-over point and the springs release. What you won't do (well... shouldn't) is pull the trim/can/ceiling down so long as the can itself was installed correctly.

Grip it and rip it!

...Also, if you still are having trouble getting a hold of the trim, grab a couple of guitar picks and that should allow you to get between the trim and the ceiling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice from everyone. Movers are here right now, but once they're gone I'll try again and let everyone know how it goes.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had major trouble with these fittings in the shower, ruined the ceiling as they were very tight and on a very powerful spring - next time I ended up going in via the attic and changing the bulb from there
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If this jarhead could figure it, I'm sure you can too.

But since I know which school you went to, here's a video:

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finally able to get to the bulb. Took some work, but the fixture did pull down and out, once I got the glass cover out of the way so I could get a grip on the inside lip.

Thanks for the help.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Light fixtures should not be puzzle boxes.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably "It came from China"

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:

Don’t separate the glass. Pull down on the outer trim. The entire thing will pull out of the drywall.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can't force a lightbulb to change. It has to want the change for itself

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply