Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Adopting senior cats - tips?
Quote | Reply
Now that I'm getting settled back in the US, I'm thinking of adopting a new cat. My cat Mickey died while I was in Japan (he was in Moscow).

I got Mickey as a juvenile, about 6 months old. I'm thinking about adopting a senior cat this time. It would be an indoor situation, in a condo, with no other pets around, and I have to work full days (more once we get past the COVID obviously), and occasional travel for a week or two at a time. So I'm looking for a fairly low key animal that is ok spending days amusing itself, but will be happy when I'm home.

Any tips or warnings for adopting a senior animal versus a kitten or juvenile?

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Adopting senior cats - tips? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go for it!
The majority of the cats we have adopted have been seniors. Find a reputable rescue and talk to them about their cats. The good places know their cats well and can give you guidance on who will be a good fit. Keep in mind that though they are seniors, they may live to be 20+ years old, and getting the true age of a cat is a crap shoot.
The only issues we have had revolve around getting cats to get along. Since you are only looking for one cat, that shouldn't be an problem.
Find out what litter, and maybe what food the rescue has been using. Older cats can be stuck in their ways.
Last edited by: sonofdad: Jul 15, 20 8:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
awwwww you are so good to consider adopting an older kitty!

If you can, and it's not too much more of a consideration, adopting an already bonded pair is even better. only one thing worse than being an old cat, and that is being an older cat with a mate with whom you've been with for 10+ years, and likely to get split up. This could be a pair of bonded cats that are 3yrs old so hardly 'old'.

Older kitties just don't have the mania of kittens/young cats....although my 17yr old tortie still has her moments. Otherwise she is always happy to see me, be the Warm Spot on the bed, and be the Food Dispenser. although *someone* has been given waaay too many treats during lockdown.

Obvious cautions about health issues, though some people like to take on that challenge to care for them in their last days.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In your situation a senior cat is perfect. They don’t require much attention and probably enjoy their time alone.

I adopted a kitten once and was heart broken every day as it wouldn’t let me leave and was sitting in the same spot when I came home as it was when I left. When I was home it wouldn’t leave me alone.

Senior cat won’t notice if you’re there or not as long as there is food and the litter box is clean.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m a cat guy and dogs too.
Senior cats are great I have one of my four.He just turned 20 he’s in good health no problems, weight is good 11.5lbs , I also brush two of them daily because they have long hair.
We rescued him when he was a kitty, all my cats I’ve ever had were recused or came to my house, they knew😻
One thing I have noticed with older cats is keep and eye out for kidney issues, diabetes, teeth/ gum and thyroid levels.
I have a 12yr cat that was losing weight and it was her thyroid, got her on a med. and she good to go.
You should get your new child checked and with a basic blood screen , that may direct you to proper diet.

His original name was Booger then Booger T> T-Bird> Mr T

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All you need is love, care and food ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Adopting senior cats - tips? [KateMid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea, you have to define "senior". I thought cats lived up to ten years or so cause all our cats when i was a kid ours all did. My folks never sent them to the vet and they were outdoor indoor cats. Then as an adult ours made 10...15... and the oldest one went at 22 years. So if you even get a 12 year old you still have 5-10 more years possibly. Great idea. We always adopt adult cats, they need love too and everyone wants a kitten it seems.
Quote Reply
Re: Adopting senior cats - tips? [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my opinion senior cat is the one older than 10, but of course it is only my opinion.
Cats in this age are much calmer. Make sure you take your cat to the vet and do a proper check up just to know what things you should avoid, what food to give etc etc. here are some good food brands for the cats without teeth https://www.catfoodpoint.com/...-cats-with-no-teeth/ (not sure if it is your case but possible)
Last edited by: MitchMcCrown: Jun 6, 22 0:59
Quote Reply
Re: Adopting senior cats - tips? [KateMid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do people even stumble across threads that are two years old?

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How did it go with the cat?

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Adopting senior cats - tips? [spockman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spockman wrote:
How did it go with the cat?

I got orders for a 9 month deployment to Bahrain, which I’m finishing up next month, so maybe I’ll try when I get back home.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Re: Adopting senior cats - tips? [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
slowguy wrote:
How do people even stumble across threads that are two years old?

I actually don't mind this one.

We just treated our 10yr old cat for hyperthyroidism. She's doing great and we hope for many more years.

I don’t mind it at all. I just never know how people seem to randomly find these minor threads from years ago.

Slowguy

Quote Reply