Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Best economy you have lived through? [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
If approximately 50% of the population doesn't pay federal taxes - why are you upset that those that do pay taxes end up paying a little less but are still paying taxes?

Stop that old line, it is dishonestly omitting the full picture. Consider full tax load.
Quote Reply
Re: Best economy you have lived through? [907Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1970's. Was a wonderful time to be in your 20's. Jobs were plentiful, housing was cheap, attitudes were laid back. You could graduate from university with very little debt. Manufacturing was booming at home. I'd do it again. The demographics and technology of the time were the factors which made the 1970's so prosperous. So glad I'm not in my 20's nowadays.
Last edited by: cerveloguy: Jul 16, 20 8:42
Quote Reply
Re: Best economy you have lived through? [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
Quote:
We have shot a money canon of spending in the last 6 months that has never been attempted.

Are you giving Trump credit for the money cannon?

Wasn’t the vote almost 100% bipartisan? I personally think the next couple trillion they plan to spend should be delayed until after the election. I would rather see the candidates campaign on the issue so that the voters get a say.

However, having said that, I think Trump has done a terrible job of putting forth a fiscally conservative agenda. I hoped he would make more of an effort to cut government spending and reduce the size of government.
Last edited by: Amstel: Jul 16, 20 8:48
Quote Reply
Re: Best economy you have lived through? [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Quote:

If approximately 50% of the population doesn't pay federal taxes - why are you upset that those that do pay taxes end up paying a little less but are still paying taxes?

Stop that old line, it is dishonestly omitting the full picture. Consider full tax load.[/quote

That is exactly what you just did.

I was responding to tax breaks.

What other tax breaks do the "rich" get?

We all pay the same real estate taxes, sales tax, property tax, car tax.
Quote Reply
Re: Best economy you have lived through? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
1970's. Was a wonderful time to be in your 20's. Jobs were plentiful, housing was cheap, attitudes were laid back. You could graduate from university with very little debt. Manufacturing was booming at home. I'd do it again. The demographics and technology of the time were the factors which made the 1970's so prosperous. So glad I'm not in my 20's nowadays.

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Best economy you have lived through? [Amstel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amstel wrote:
SH wrote:
Quote:
We have shot a money canon of spending in the last 6 months that has never been attempted.

Wasn’t the vote almost 100% bipartisan? I personally think the next couple trillion they plan to spend should be delayed until after the election. I would rather see the candidates campaign on the issue so that the voters get a say.

However, having said that, I think Trump has done a terrible job of putting forth a fiscally conservative agenda. I hoped he would make more of an effort to cut government spending and reduce the size of government.

OK. "Money cannon" got me to thinking about the FED's response more so than Congress and the President.
Trump was never going to be the fiscally conservative guy, but then again nobody ever turns out to be the fiscally conservative guy.

What part were you hoping he'd cut?
Last edited by: SH: Jul 16, 20 12:48
Quote Reply
Re: Best economy you have lived through? [Amstel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amstel wrote:
SH wrote:
Quote:

What Republican president has put forth a fiscally conservative agenda?

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
If approximately 50% of the population doesn't pay federal taxes...

Federal income taxes... they are the only ones that count?
Quote Reply
Re: Best economy you have lived through? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
See post 29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Poor people pay much more in sales tax as a percentage of their income, since a greater percentage of their income goes to necessities. Similarly, since payroll taxes are capped, the very wealthy pay a much lower percentage in payroll tax. People who live on investment earnings pay 0% in payroll tax, and pay lower percentages in long capital gains than normal income rates. The estate tax has virtually disappeared, yet capital gains taxes can be reset, such that taxes are completely avoided on any earnings as it passes down a generation. I get a $500K exclusion on capital gains if I sell my house.

Now, property taxes are only piad by property owners, but landlaords merely pass on these costs to tenants, who ultimately bear the cost of those taxes. Likewise tariffs are taxes borne by consumers, as they get passed.on by companies.

Finally, throw in the propping up of asset values as government policy and you have a major indirect subsidy, which has elevated my portfolio for many years. These are some of the reasons why the wealth of multi-millionaires has risen so spectacularly while most folks have languished..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Quote:

Poor people pay much more in sales tax as a percentage of their income, since a greater percentage of their income goes to necessities.

Not true - If you are poor, most of your income goes to food, clothing and rent. None of which are taxable in a lot of states.

Similarly, since payroll taxes are capped, the very wealthy pay a much lower percentage in payroll tax.

Probably not given your comments below that the very wealthy don't collect much "payroll". However, the guy making 200k does pay a lower % than the guy making 50k, but not to offset the higher income tax rate on the payroll

People who live on investment earnings pay 0% in payroll tax, and pay lower percentages in long capital gains than normal income rates.

True, but not a fair comparison. Capital gains is 20%. Income tax rate for MFJ on income less than 78k is 12%. I think we can probably agree 78k is not poor.

But your statement is true - the Capital gains of 20% is 12% lower than the income for MFJ up to 400k

The estate tax has virtually disappeared, yet capital gains taxes can be reset, such that taxes are completely avoided on any earnings as it passes down a generation.

You can't pick your parents.

I get a $500k exclusion on capital gains if I sell my house.

Great. So does anyone else, but the very wealthy buy houses that probably have much larger swings in capital gains, so this actually hurt the mega wealthy,

Now, property taxes are only piad by property owners, but landlaords merely pass on these costs to tenants, who ultimately bear the cost of those taxes.

No - the market determines the rate you can get on your rental. It’s has nothing to do with your cost

Likewise tariffs are taxes borne by consumers, as they get passed.on by companies.

Only if the customer is willing to pay.

Finally, throw in the propping up of asset values as government policy and you have a major indirect subsidy, which has elevated my portfolio for many years. These are some of the reasons why the wealth of multi-millionaires has risen so spectacularly while most folks have languished..
Quote Reply
Re: Best economy you have lived through? [907Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
907Tri wrote:
What was the best economical time that you lived through?

Who was president and what did they do to make the economy so great?

I've been in manufacturing most of my life so I tend to look at it from that perspective.

Although I was not working full time in the sector 85'ish thru 88'ish was probably the best I personally lived thru. This was followed by 94 thru 98.

That has really been the only times I would have considered "Good" for manufacturing in my life time and career. When the rest of the economy was booming manufacturing has still been in pretty head to head combat with low labor cost countries. So while tech, service etc sectors might have thought the economy was amazing it was Mehhh.... for manufacturing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Quote:

Poor people pay much more in sales tax as a percentage of their income, since a greater percentage of their income goes to necessities.

This depends entirely on the spending habits of the people being spoken of. Sales tax is WAY higher on luxury items than essentials. In fact in many places there is a very low sales tax on food. You can get nailed with 15-20% sales tax if you buy a yacht in the wrong state.

oldandslow wrote:
Similarly, since payroll taxes are capped, the very wealthy pay a much lower percentage in payroll tax.

Social Security is the only payroll tax that is capped. It has always been capped because the amount you can draw is regressive in relationship to what you pay in. Social security was never meant to be a "Tax" it was meant to be a "Retirement account".

Medicare is not capped and federal income tax is not only NOT capped but it is progressive.

oldandslow wrote:
People who live on investment earnings pay 0% in payroll tax, and pay lower percentages in long capital gains than normal income rates. The estate tax has virtually disappeared, yet capital gains taxes can be reset, such that taxes are completely avoided on any earnings as it passes down a generation. I get a $500K exclusion on capital gains if I sell my house.

Capital gains tax IS NOT income tax. If a poor person had investments, which some do, they would pay less or the same as a rich person.

Several years ago I actually did a chart on effective tax rates including SS. If I recall the effective tax rate goes steadily up until you hit the SS cap. You then end up having a lower rate than "The poor" until you start making something like 1 million or so if I recall. This does not include capital gains because as I said, that's not income tax.
Quote Reply

Prev Next